South America in 2015

augies

On our SA cruise high winds kept us at the Ushuaia pier until after 11:00pm. As a result, we had to skip Punta Arenas. The plus side was that we did a leisurely two hour cruise by the glaciers in the Beagle Channel and we were fortunate to have a starboard cabin. Going through the Channel in the daytime it is starboard for west bound cruises and port for east bound cruises. At Cape Horn and Amalia Glacier the Star rotated so all had a good view. Don't remember any time other than the Beagle Channel where it made a difference which side you were on. Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi IECalCruiser. I believe we were both on the infamous 18 Feb. 2010 BA to Valpo cruise on the Star Princess, with the delayed departure from Ushuaia, daylight transit of Glacier Alley, missed Punta Arenas, and then the earthquake adventures. We stayed aboard til the Star got back to Ushuaia and flew home uneventfully from there. As I recall, you went all the way back to BA on the Star. We did the BA to Valpo trip again on the Grand in Feb. 2013 -- that time we missed Port Stanley; had a good stopover in Valpo and Santiago before boarding the Star for the trip north from Valpo to LA.

John

Hi IECalCruiser. I believe we were both on the infamous 18 Feb. 2010 BA to Valpo cruise on the Star Princess, with the delayed departure from Ushuaia, daylight transit of Glacier Alley, missed Punta Arenas, and then the earthquake adventures. We stayed aboard til the Star got back to Ushuaia and flew home uneventfully from there. As I recall, you went all the way back to BA on the Star. We did the BA to Valpo trip again on the Grand in Feb. 2013 -- that time we missed Port Stanley; had a good stopover in Valpo and Santiago before boarding the Star for the trip north from Valpo to LA.

John

Yes, we were on the same cruise and did stay on all the way back to BA. Despite everything that happen on that cruise, it was one of our best :). We are booked on the Golden next spring from Valpo to LA, but might switch to 2016 on the Star.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, we were on the same cruise and did stay on all the way back to BA. Despite everything that happen on that cruise, it was one of our best :). We are booked on the Golden next spring from Valpo to LA, but might switch to 2016 on the Star. Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We enjoyed the Valpo to LA cruise on the Star in March 2013. Lots of sea days. Everything ran like clockwork under Capt. Todd McBain, in contrast to events on our two BA-to-Valpo cruises. We particularly enjoyed the "overnight plus two partial days" stop in Callao/Lima. I believe the lineup of port visits has been been changed slightly since then -- now Pisco instead of Manta (Ecuador), which apparently did not get good reviews from many passengers. We were originally supposed to stop at Acapulco, but that was dropped from the itinerary a few months before we sailed, and I gather it is still off for 2015. Overall a good trip, but not (for us) as outstanding as our two BA-to-Valpo cruises, which we also found to be excellent despite the drama.

John

We enjoyed the Valpo to LA cruise on the Star in March 2013. Lots of sea days. Everything ran like clockwork under Capt. Todd McBain, in contrast to events on our two BA-to-Valpo cruises. We particularly enjoyed the "overnight plus two partial days" stop in Callao/Lima. I believe the lineup of port visits has been been changed slightly since then -- now Pisco instead of Manta (Ecuador), which apparently did not get good reviews from many passengers. We were originally supposed to stop at Acapulco, but that was dropped from the itinerary a few months before we sailed, and I gather it is still off for 2015. Overall a good trip, but not (for us) as outstanding as our two BA-to-Valpo cruises, which we also found to be excellent despite the drama.

John

We want to spend some time in the wine country around Santiago and never made it past Valparaiso on our last cruise. Having done BA to Valpo and then back to BA again we want to do a different itinerary. We were also considering the outrageously expensive (as much as our 17 day cruise) Princess 3 day/2 night tour to Machu Picchu from Pisco to the second day in Lima.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We want to spend some time in the wine country around Santiago and never made it past Valparaiso on our last cruise. Having done BA to Valpo and then back to BA again we want to do a different itinerary. We were also considering the outrageously expensive (as much as our 17 day cruise) Princess 3 day/2 night tour to Machu Picchu from Pisco to the second day in Lima. Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

After missing out on our planned 6 nights in the Valpo / Santiago area in early March 2010 due to the earthquake, we were glad to be able to stop there for several days between the end of our 2nd BA-Valpo cruise (Feb.'13) on the Grand Pr. and the start of the Valpo-LA cruise (March '13) on the Star Pr. During the 11-nights between cruises, we were to do a 4-night side trip (on airline points) to Rapa Nui / Easter Isl. as well as 7 nights in the Santiago / Valpo / Vina del Mar area. Unfortunately, illness forced cancellation of the Rapa Nui side trip, so we had a lengthy stay in Santiago -- a very interesting mixture of historic and modern areas, and an easy and pleasant place to visit. We stayed at the Orly Hotel, which was excellent and very accommodating when our travel plans changed suddenly. However, fewer nights there plus the side trip to Rapa Nui would have been better! We used "About Chile" to arrange local tours and transfers in the Valpo / Vina / Santiago area, including a winery tour, and we were happy with them. We have another scheme in the works to get to Rapa Nui in 2015...

John

Edited by J-D

After missing out on our planned 6 nights in the Valpo / Santiago area in early March 2010 due to the earthquake, we were glad to be able to stop there for several days between the end of our 2nd BA-Valpo cruise (Feb.'13) on the Grand Pr. and the start of the Valpo-LA cruise (March '13) on the Star Pr. During the 11-nights between cruises, we were to do a 4-night side trip (on airline points) to Rapa Nui / Easter Isl. as well as 7 nights in the Santiago / Valpo / Vina del Mar area. Unfortunately, illness forced cancellation of the Rapa Nui side trip, so we had a lengthy stay in Santiago -- a very interesting mixture of historic and modern areas, and an easy and pleasant place to visit. We stayed at the Orly Hotel, which was excellent and very accommodating when our travel plans changed suddenly. However, fewer nights there plus the side trip to Rapa Nui would have been better! We used "About Chile" to arrange local tours and transfers in the Valpo / Vina / Santiago area, including a winery tour, and we were happy with them. We have another scheme in the works to get to Rapa Nui in 2015...

John

Thanks for the info.