Freestyle dining-what is it?

Kate45

So it's basically the same as every other mainstream cruiseline, except for the name of it (mytime, anytime, etc...) I know, I know, NCL came up with it first and they do it better than everyone else. NCL is not unique anymore. Flamesuit on.

I'll not flame at all! I will ask though, which other main stream cruise line does what NCL does with dining? That is, no assigned seating or time anywhere? As far as I can tell, most if not all of the others still do assigned seating at an assigned time, they do however let you opt out. Is this what your talking about? If so, then no, the others are not all doing Freestyle.:)

I'll not flame at all! I will ask though, which other main stream cruise line does what NCL does with dining? That is, no assigned seating or time anywhere? As far as I can tell, most if not all of the others still do assigned seating at an assigned time, they do however let you opt out. Is this what your talking about? If so, then no, the others are not all doing Freestyle.:)

The other mainstream lines offer even more options in that you can do the anytime thing or be assigned a traditional dinner time.

It makes me wonder and worry a bit too, when I see so many people who come to NCL to try the Freestyle but don't even bother to educate themselves as to what it is all about.

Long before I joined CC, I made sure I understood what our cruise would be like, what it would entail and researched as much about it as possible.

So, having said that it mystifies me that supposedly knowledgeable, seasoned cruisers come here for answers and then, when given the answers, want to argue that other cruise lines do it this way or that way and that's how they want/expect Norwegian to do it too. :eek:

Well, guess what, not gonna happen so you have a choice, either learn to love the way NCL does things or make up your mind that NCL is not the cruise line for you.

It makes me wonder and worry a bit too, when I see so many people who come to NCL to try the Freestyle but don't even bother to educate themselves as to what it is all about.

I understand what you are saying, but not everyone that comes to try NCL is doing it because of the freestyle. Some may book because of the itinerary, price, or whatever else, and not because they want to try freestyle or have even heard of it. But I agree people should do their research on any vacation before booking that vacation.

I understand what you are saying, but not everyone that comes to try NCL is doing it because of the freestyle. Some may book because of the itinerary, price, or whatever else, and not because they want to try freestyle or have even heard of it. But I agree people should do their research on any vacation before booking that vacation.

Exactly. I'm Latitudes Gold, but not one of my NCL cruises was booked because of Freestyle....especially since everyone does it now.

What I will say is, other than one night on Princess, NCL is the only line I have consistently been handed a pager to wait for a table.

What I do find ironic though is people around here like to say you can eat whenever.....but then say as long as it's not for a 2 hour time period when everyone is hungry. Seriously, the comment made earlier by sparks, be hungry when no one else us hungry, pretty much sums it up.

Exactly. I'm Latitudes Gold, but not one of my NCL cruises was booked because of Freestyle....especially since everyone does it now.

What I will say is, other than one night on Princess, NCL is the only line I have consistently been handed a pager to wait for a table.

What I do find ironic though is people around here like to say you can eat whenever.....but then say as long as it's not for a 2 hour time period when everyone is hungry. Seriously, the comment made earlier by sparks, be hungry when no one else us hungry, pretty much sums it up.

Sometimes when there is a wait at one restaurant you can just go to another one. I would take a pager, have a drink and listen to one of the entertainers to pass the time every night to avoid eating with terrible dinner companions.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

Exactly! We choose our cruises for itinerary and sailing port. Food is really not a part of the equation; I don't think anyone has ever gone hungry on a cruise ship. I think it's sad when people voice their OPINION, which is what is being asked for, and then told they are on the wrong cruise line.

I heart this post!

Thanks. One more question - if you eat in the restaurants do they all have the same menu every night or do the menus change daily??

Just to expand on the answers given to this question.

Currently, all ships other than the Breakaway and Getaway have different menus at the two dining rooms. On one side of the menu are the items which are the same every night, but are different between the two restaurants. The differences are quite subtle but do make a difference (they are different enough that I prefer to go to one restaurant over the other if I will be ordering from that section).

On the other side of the menu are the daily specials, which are the same in both restaurants.

On the Breakaway and Getaway there is a new menu (which will probably be introduced to the other ships soon). From what I understand, this menu is the same in all three MDR's, but seems to have more items which change every day.

I agree with this, with a reservation.

You can eat just about whenever you like on an NCL ship, but you just need to be aware of how busy it is likely to be when you go. Just like on land.

If you eat early then you are fine, but that doesn't mean you have to do so. If you would rather eat at 7pm for example then there is a good chance there will be a queue, so be prepared for it. Turn up a little earlier so you will be sitting down at the time you want. Keep that in mind when eating earlier so you aren't turning up at the restaurant starving hungry.

As freestyle basically replicates the situation on land then treat it the same way. If you are eating at a busy time then be prepared for it.

Some people mention the fact that you have to queue sometimes if it's busy with a comment of "not really Freestyle" or something like that. What it is is real life, and if you want to do things when everyone else does then you may need to queue a bit.

I don't think NCL have ever claimed there won't be a queue sometimes, but you do still have the choose to eat basically where and when you want. That will do for me.

I do agree though. Suggesting to people that they eat at times they don't want to, just because it's quieter, isn't really a solution.