Constellation with kids

jo797

Hi, we just booked the Constellation in December with our kids ages 10 and 12. Can anyone tell me what special things there are for them to do. I did not see a arcade. Is there one? We have been on the large RC ships the last two years with our kids and they had a blast. My son loves sports and video games, while my daughter likes to hang out. Any information would be great. thanks

Oh yes, there is an arcade room (you have to pay unless it is part of a scheduled activity for the kids program). The top deck has a nice sized basketball court.

Our kids were on Constellation's sister, Infinity, and our daughter was 10 yrs old at the time and she had a terrific time. Here are some pictures of the Fun Factory on the Infinity and Summit (another sistership, photos taken by another passenger):

Infinity Fun Factory

Summit Fun Factory

Celebrity runs a very organized kids program with the kids split up into several age groups. The activities are fairly structured with a schedule published and delivered to your stateroom the night before. It is well staffed by competent counselors. Our kids have enjoyed it each of the 5 times they have cruised with Celebrity.

We were on the Constellation in 2004. Our daughter was 9 at the time. She had a great time in the kids' program. Her favorite things were having dinner at the buffet with our kids her age, and just getting to know the girls during the organized activities. Se would agree with the other post above that they do a great job of organizing the activities, and although they don't have a rock wall or skating rink on Constellation, she enjoyed the kids activities on Constellation better. They seem to have more structure than RCI, and because there are less kids travelling, they got to know each other better.She is still in touch with some of her fellow cruisers more than a year later. I think it's all in what your child enjoys - if it's all the bells and whistles, then RCI may be more enjoyable to them. If they enjoy a quieter cruising experience, then they will love Celebrity. My kids also ate up the incredible personal attention they got on board Celebrity. Our cabin steward kept a close eye on them, asked them if they wanted to have room service one evening as a "treat", and made sure they had cookies in our cabin after we boarded on each port day. We didn't see that on RCI.

We were on the Connie during Thanksgiving week 2003; lots of kids, almost too many and they all seem to be having a blast. I talked one gal from Chicago who said her 10 and 8 year olds were having more fun then thay had on a Disney cruise the year before. I am sure they will have a blast. NMnita

I'm one of those nervous parents seeking information on the kids programs for Celebrity. My in-laws are planning a family cruise to the Panama Canal next Sept/October and want to go with a higher end cruise (Celebrity or HAL). Looking at Infinity and Volendam or Westerdam at the moment. 5 kids will 6, 10, 12, 15 & 18.

We've been on RCI several times (without kids) and my concern, in addition to the kids having more than the pool to occupy them during the many sea days, is how the other passengers tolerate the kids on board. I know the itinerary and time of year is not a typical kid-friendly environment, so how do the other passengers treat those few families on board? While we are not the kind of parents who let the kids run wild or leave them unsupervised in public areas, kids by nature make noise and want to run (their 2 speeds are sleep and run). We would of course try to enforce rules of behavior but kids don't act perfectly all the time. So do you find passengers of these types of cruises have much tolerance for kids being kids? I'm really worried about spending 14+ days trying to make my kids invisible so the other passengers will not get upset.

Thank you for your input

PS: I'm sure the easiest answer is the change the time, place or cruiseline we go on, but where and when we cruise is not going to change. It's a decision my in-laws made based on many factors beyond the needs of the kids. They decide the details of the trip, I just have to make it work.

just a couple of things do come to mind:the heavier the port itinerary is the less ship activities. this does not mean there will not be lots for the young people to do, but just not quite as much. As for Celebrity compared to HAL, I think I would take Celebrity. I know lots of people really like HAL, but I for one think they have gone down hill a bit in the past few years, plus the kids program won't be an intent I don't think. Whichever you choose everyone will have a blast and both lines are good. I am just giving you my opinion. NMNita

I definitely 2nd the idea of taking Celebrity over Holland America. We have cruised many times on RCCL, and once on Holland America (Maasdam). We haven't cruised on Celebrity -- yet. Our sons were very happy with RCCL's kids club, so I'm sure they will also enjoy Celebrity's. The kids club on Holland America's Maasdam left much to be desired. While there was a theme each evening, that organized activity only lasted about 45 minutes. Once it was over, the kids were pretty much on their own to entertain themselves with computers or board games. The HAL counselors also didn't seem to want to interact much with the kids.

If you look at Celebrity's website, there is quite a bit of information about their kids club -- much more organized than HAL's website about their kids club.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Archived