Perhaps a Stupid Snorkling Question?

Cruise NH

We'll be taking our first cruise to the South Pacific next year.

I've noticed that snorkeling is frequently mentioned as shore excursions or 'not to be missed thing to do'.

I've never snorkeled and although I can tread water...I really can't swim. So here's the stupid question, would you snorkel if you couldn't really swim?

Do people use floatation devices to stay near the surface but still enjoy the underwater view?

I've noticed that snorkeling is frequently mentioned as shore excursions or 'not to be missed thing to do'.

I've never snorkeled and although I can tread water...I really can't swim. So here's the stupid question, would you snorkel if you couldn't really swim?

Do people use floatation devices to stay near the surface but still enjoy the underwater view?

Hi, we did this cruise last year with RCL and loved it so much we're going back this year ! Many of the snorkelling sites are close to shore ( tho to see good coral and varieties of fish, I'm told you need to go further out than before due to the numbers of ships coming through now and the constant trampling by many of the passengers :( . Having said that, we certainly saw a good variety on Lifou; Isle of Pines and Mystery Island without going into very deep water. You could use floaties once you're out far enough for safety - though I would recommend taking a swim partner with you as its easy to go out further while you're looking down into the water ! The ocean was fairly flat while we were there, so walking out and back was not a problem - this was in December. Hope this helps and you enjoy your cruise :)

Angela, Sydney Australia.

Radiance of the Seas, Dec 2013.

I would strongly encourage you to give it a try. I am not a swimmer and while I can swim to save my life, I am more of a floater. Even people who cant swim will float easier in the ocean due to the salt water. You can use a floatation device to help float, actually on a lot of excursions, they require a life jacket type of device. I have gotten to the point where I can float and move around in the water by myself, quite an accomplishment for me. Water has always terrified me and I have recurring nightmares from childhood about deep dark water. The ocean is light and I can see, it took a awhile, but I overcame. Still won't go near a lake though.

I used to have a thing that was like a blow up noodle, would be perfect for a cruise, since noodles are hard to take on the plane, but you should be able to find something blowup to help you if you need it. The first cruise we went on, it took me three days of snorkeling before I could do it. My very patient husband held me and helped me to get it done. I found what I was doing, was, putting my mask on, then dipping my face in to look and then freaking out, hyperventilating, that would break the seal of my mask, and then everything went bad. :D Even now, I have to talk myself thru those first few minutes.

Snorkeling is one of my favorite things to do, ever! When you are laying there, floating watching the fish and coral below you, its just so peaceful, and wonderful! Not only do I love it, but it is a huge accomplishment, and something I worked very hard to do. Don't skip it because you think you might not be able to. If you can tread water, you are off to a great start.

I would also suggest if you can, try it at home first. In a pool or a lake, or bathtub if you are agile enough.

My BH always brings a floating device. It's really a water ski vest. She packs it with her stuff, sticks it in the bottom of the suitcase, sticks clothes and such in the middle and then the front folds over the clothes, doing it this way takes very little room ;)

In February my husband, myself, daughter, SIL and two grandkids went snorkeling for the first time at Isle of Pines. We had practiced at home in the pool before we went. We took 6 pool noodles with us as checked baggage. They worked really well.

The only downside with that would be if you were flying to the port. They were a bit bulky.

The noodles are going on my next cruise in May. They are going to end up very well traveled pool toys!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

I just returned from FP and was new to snorkeling. I am middle aged and not a strong swimmer but I was not going to go all the way to FP without experiencing the water activities. I suggest you buy a good mask & snorkel, try it on, adjust it before you leave. Invest in a snorkel vest, Amazon sells a good inflatable one which I used most times. Also buy some water shoes & a rash guard. Go onto Youtube and look at the videos on 'how to snorkel' it will give you an idea of what to expect. Some of our guides literally took me by the arm and guided me thru the coral gardens....they often deal with novices such as ourselves. The water is very clear and often not deep. It does not take long to get the hang of it & once you do you will love it!!

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. You've given me the encouragement to try it.

I do have water shoes and will look into the inflatable vest idea. I really want to see the ocean wildlife for myself.

I was afraid I'd be the only one who couldn't swim and somehow hold the group back but from your responses I realize people will be at different levels and that I should give it try.

Thanks!

Edited by Cruise NH

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. You've given me the encouragement to try it.

I do have water shoes and will look into the inflatable vest idea. I really want to see the ocean wildlife for myself.

I was afraid I'd be the only one who couldn't swim and somehow hold the group back but from your responses I realize people will be at different levels and that I should give it try.

Thanks!

Fantastic, and also not everyone is looks like Brad&Angelina either!!!

Take along a waterproof camera to record your trip, as no one back home will believe what you did!!

I also spend last year in the south pacific and loved it and am going back in Aug. I have an inflatable snorkeling vest that I wear and it's great. I can float and take as many pictures as I want and not be worry about sinking. I wouldn't leave home without it!!! Have fun.

I am not a real swimmer but snorkel all the time. In addition to any special vests you can get, you can use a life vest and just float on top of it, if you need it. If the water is not rough, all you need to do is lie on your stomach, float and paddle around a bit. Not sure what you would use water shoes for- you will have on flippers which are best over bare feet or at most water socks. Might suggest you get a mask and snorkel and practice breathing through it so you aren't trying to learn everything at one time. Do you go swimming- even in a pool- in the summer? Practice there. Also, if you wear glasses, you can get prescription masks made up for not a lot.

Many people (including me) who snorkel do not go under water at all. So as long as you aren't afraid of water, snorkeling is really very easy. And the water in a lot of places in the Pacific is warm and flat and crystal clear with so much to see- beautiful coral and brilliantly colored fish. Do not miss it.

Edited by 5waldos

I recommend using Aquanature, in Noumea I did a full day tour with them on the 30 feet Catamaran and they have very good equipment and wetsuits that will make you float. They had 3 guides and only 3 clients per guide and one older man in my group was towed along by our guide because he didn't swim. The reef has both hard and soft corals and a wonderful variety of sea life.

Rarely mentioned, but you will kill the coral by standing on it. Buy a face mask and snorkel tube locally. There are short fins available to purchase.Long ones heavy. I do not even use fins myself. (The ones used by tour groups are not usually properly sanitized). Then go to your local pool to practice the breathing in a relaxing environment, Bathtub if no pool nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

No such thing as a silly question....... You should give the snorkelling a try, it doesn't matter if you have some sort of flotation assistance, the point of it is to get your eyes into the water, this will improve your visibility ten fold. In a lot of the South pacific islands the water is so clear this will give you great visibility and will allow you to view the reefs and wildlife. You may even be better off with a light vest etc as you wont have to waste much effort staying afloat, and you can just drift with the current and enjoy the view.

Rarely mentioned, but you will kill the coral by standing on it. Buy a face mask and snorkel tube locally. There are short fins available to purchase.Long ones heavy. I do not even use fins myself. (The ones used by tour groups are not usually properly sanitized). Then go to your local pool to practice the breathing in a relaxing environment, Bathtub if no pool nearby.

Agree about the coral but I would not count on buying mask and snorkel locally-it really depends on where you are. (Oh-do you mean home locally? Good idea). And if you are in England try to find an Easybreath at Decatholon. And I would suggest practicing at home-dive shops with pools will offer the chance to get used to it. Or find a rec center or a friend with a pool. At worst, put on a mask and a snorkel on and Walk around breathing through it. You can even try in a bathtub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it a good idea to take your own snorkel? I know Tahiti is very expensive. Are the snorkels also?

Bring your own snorkel & mask with a pair of water shoes and if you are not a strong swimmer an inflatable vest. Most tours & hotels lend out fins and regular type vests (which are considerably larger than a snorkel vest). Gear for two fit into a small nylon backpack which is easy to bring on the plane.