National Art Museum in Nassau

silverpenguin

I did a search and found this topic discussed back in 2011, I was hoping for some more recent input :)

This place gets good reviews on trip advisor and DH and I like to visit art galleries on vacation, so of course this piqued my interest. I understand it is a 10-15 minute walk from the cruise port, but DH and I will be by ourselves. Is it a safe area to walk in? Getting that far away from port on foot does make me a little nervous.

Has anybody been recently? Any "reviews"?

My husband and I were there in November and loved it. It's a block from John Watling's Distillery, across the street from St. Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral, and about two blocks from Graycliff, if memory serves. Get a good map and you should be fine. My husband is not a follower and we walked a less-traveled route, which I don't advise. Follow the people going to Watling's or Graycliff and you should have plenty of company.

The gallery itself is small but has a lot of interesting artwork. When we visited, an exuberant young man was setting up his own exhibit and spent a good amount of time talking to us about Bahamian art. We were completely charmed. Thinking about him still makes us smile.

We also visited the cathedral (worth a stop if you like Catholic churches) and Watling's (okay but we wouldn't go back). We had been to Graycliff before, on our first trip to Nassau in April when we took the Tru Bahamian Food Tour. We returned to Graycliff to buy more of the chocolates we'd tasted on the food tour and they were even better than we remembered.

If you like art galleries, you should enjoy the National Art Museum. We did. We also enjoyed our stops at other places in the neighborhood.

Edited by Editrix