My family of 4 is planning to take a cruise to Europe next year. My mother, father, grandmother and myself. Just wondering if anyone can suggest a ship that they went on and enjoyed.

We're thinking about a one week cruise. My mother wants to leave from Venice. My father wants to go to Athens as one of the ports of call.

Any ideas? How soon should we book it since we plan on going in July?

Thank you!

I might have some good information for you since I have been to Europe four times the past three years. Look at Splendor of the Sea for 2006. It will be sailing out ot Venice on a 7 day cruise and I think one of the stops is Athens but I'm not sure. The dollar by next year could yield some bargins it just depends on the fluxuations. I would start looking for airfares this September if you choose to cruise in late May or June when prices are within reason. Also there are few crowds in late May and the weather is pleasant. As for hotels book in advance and consider Priceline. I think with the information I have given you can at least get started. This does require doing your homework. Good luck, Tim

Tim,

Thank you so much. I will be looking into this. You are right, Splendor of the Seas is leaving out of Venice and going to Athens as one of its ports of call. I will be doing more research and possibly going ahead and booking it early.

Thank you!

We booked our next cruise while on the Splendour last week. Once again we will be on the Splendour from Venice to Dubrovnic, a couple of Greek Isles and then spend the night in Venice -- two days at sea. It looks like a fantastic itinerary and much more relaxing that the mad dash of the western Med. This is a special, one-time cruise (Splendour is sailing from Venice on other itineraries). We leave July 9th!

Wolfjinx,

Congradulations on your booking. I think your family is in for a real treat. My wife and I did Splendor last year (late May) and the wife said it was the best Cruise vacation we had ever done. Since you are traveling with your parents I would strongly recommend flying in one to two days early because of the time difference. This will give the folks a chance to get some much needed rest after that long flight into Venice. Note becasue you have the extra time you can plan on seeing that part of Europe you don't see every day. Keep an eye on Airfares they can be pricy starting in mid June to the end of August. Most folks flying this summer were seeing prices topping the $1000 mark. If you see anything in the $750 to $875 range grab it. Specials should start showing up in September. Check on the dinner hours. We did the early dinning which started at 6 - 6:30 time frame. Late dinning in Europe can start as early as 8:00 PM. Remember the shows on the Ship start around 8:00 PM.

By the way I'm looking into booking a Cruise next year for the Meditterean but just haven't zeroed out my credit card yet. We did Germany this May, Alaska last month and will be doing a Cruise in Baja this December. You should have a great time planning the rest of this trip. You can get so much information from this site. Happy Cruisng Tim

Check with the Travel Agency and find out what time you fly out. The six hour time difference sounds right. If you leave in the evening I guarantee you will arrive the next morning. If you get a very early flight out you could get into Venice late in the afternoon. There usually aren't too many of these early mornign flights. Its something to know and be prepared for. Tim

When we did our booking, we asked for them to include airfare.

Oh No! :eek: How much did they quote for the airfare? Usually there are a lot of horror stories when the cruiseline books the air tickets... They can route you any way they want, long layovers, multiple flights. Nine times out of ten, you'll be better of booking yourself ( through your TA). make sure you arrive the day before the ship sails. ;)

I, too, booked air to Barcelona for our Med. Trip next year. This way I have a price booked in case prices for some reason go sky high in the next 12 months. Also, I can cancel RCCL's airfare up until July, 2006, with my final payment. This gives me time to see how much better I can do on my own. So I think it is a good idea to book the cruise line's air to begin with and then look around when it gets closer to your cruise. Good luck!

Pooh

Oh No! :eek: How much did they quote for the airfare? ...you'll be better of booking yourself ( through your TA). make sure you arrive the day before the ship sails.
We have a large group flying into Venice out of Barcelona. Our air fares are ranging $700-$950 this far out-- originating various US locales. Airfare was $1400 through the cruise line! (Even our cruise TA suggested booking our own air.) My local brick and mortar TA,who will book my airfare, told me that the airlines may have spring sales, but considering the rising price of crude, we won't wait. Besides, our TA has said that if we find a later sale for the airline we book, we can ask the airline for a voucher for the difference and use the voucher for another trip. :)

Oh No! :eek: How much did they quote for the airfare? Usually there are a lot of horror stories when the cruiseline books the air tickets... They can route you any way they want, long layovers, multiple flights. Nine times out of ten, you'll be better of booking yourself ( through your TA). make sure you arrive the day before the ship sails. ;)

I've booked through the cruiseline when I went to Alaska. I had no problems with them at all. They booked us on Continental for an early flight to get to Seattle on time. We only changed planes once in Houston and arrived in Seattle a little late because of the weather. Other than that, no problems at all. I don't think they charged us all that much for airfare....about $800 per person.

I've booked through the cruiseline when I went to Alaska. I had no problems with them at all. They booked us on Continental for an early flight to get to Seattle on time. We only changed planes once in Houston and arrived in Seattle a little late because of the weather. Other than that, no problems at all. I don't think they charged us all that much for airfare....about $800 per person.

Why don't you keep the air you have and keep looking for a better deal. $800 is what I'm paying for this October, but I'm flying from CA: a lot further. I think you can do better from the east coast. Also, check the airlines and travel web sites that include a hotel in the air price. Some of these are real bargains, and you can have your pre-cruise stay built-in!!

And make sure you take trip insurance offered by the cruise line...it covers just about everything...flight & hotel delays/cancellations, weather incurred delays, illness etc...well worth it.

Actually, check private insurers too. Personally, I've found the insurance offered by the cruise lines to be more expensive and more restrictive than those offered by professional travel insurance companies. Those policies are designed to both make money for the cruise line and to shield the cruiseline from liability (for example, check to see if the cruise line's policy will protect you if there's been a trip delay or if your cruise is shortened or altered due to weather or terrorism. Most policies offered by the cruise line will cover you in the case of default, but not if you're majorly inconvenienced).

Two popular websites let you peruse and compare travel insurance policies by independent insurers - www.tripinsurancestore.com and www.insuremycruise.com. Both offer policies from the same "major" travel insurers, but I think the first company does a much better job of explaining the various policy terms and limitations for the consumer.

Archived