Independent Excursion vs. Independent Shore Excursions

Kingisacruiser

Hello all,

I am planning for my cruise in a few months which will stop in Jamaica. I haven't decided whether to do an excursion through the ship or independently yet.

While researching, it appears that many of the independent tour operators may be no more than expensive taxi services. I have seen more than one occassion where admission is included in the price of the excursion but the driver would say they were unable to pay admission because, they had not been paid yet (by the cruisers), although the agreement was to pay at the end of the tour/excursion. Also, I have noticed that when going to Dunn's River Falls and cave-tubing, the cruisers had to pay additional money to guides at the excursion.

If I were to take an excursion through the ship would this be the case? Would I have to pay or tip additionally to guides, while at the excursion? How much is the customary tip to the guides?

TIA. It's our first time in Jamaica.

Hello all,

I am planning for my cruise in a few months which will stop in Jamaica. I haven't decided whether to do an excursion through the ship or independently yet.

While researching, it appears that many of the independent tour operators may be no more than expensive taxi services. I have seen more than one occassion where admission is included in the price of the excursion but the driver would say they were unable to pay admission because, they had not been paid yet (by the cruisers), although the agreement was to pay at the end of the tour/excursion. Also, I have noticed that when going to Dunn's River Falls and cave-tubing, the cruisers had to pay additional money to guides at the excursion.

If I were to take an excursion through the ship would this be the case? Would I have to pay or tip additionally to guides, while at the excursion? How much is the customary tip to the guides?

TIA. It's our first time in Jamaica.

On ship excursions you don't pay extra for the guides, but are encouraged to tip, not required, but encouraged strongly. We have done both private and ship sponsored. I prefer private because it's on my time and not theirs, it's whatever I want to do. But I always do a lot of research and make sure they have excellent reviews, especially in Jamaica. We have used Courtney Taylor and Marva Shaw in and were really pleased with both.