The Suite life.....How can anybody afford it.

jmele999

Its called a discussion forum for a reason.

I think it was how you worded your post. That's the problem with message boards/texting sometimes it doesn't come across how you actually mean it to sound. You saying that persons way is "flawed" I thought the same thing as if u were talking down to that poster.

Hello all,

I recently saw a similar thread on the RCI board and thought that it provided very useful information so I thought about starting a thread here where everyone can post their secrets/suggestions on how anybody can afford the suite life.

Our secret is too book very early (2 years ahead) and the get the most OBC possible. I realize that booking early is not for everyone, but it works for us. Our OBC has ranged from as little as $300 to as high as $850. On our last cruise, the OBC we received was enough to cover 20% of our cruise fare, and on our upcoming cruise we are even saving more. Also by booking early you can usually get the cheapest fare, and have the ability to pay for the cruise in installments. Additionally, you can use a TA for more OBC.

Next use your credit cards points for additional OBC, airfare, hotels, etc.

Additionally, subscribe to discount sites such as groupon, living social so that you can score discounted airport parking, hotel and dinner vouchers.

Lastly, book the cheapest suite possible. The suite perks on NCL are great and all suites receive the same standard suites perks. Higher suites get more perks, but they are usually MORE expensive.

Pretty much exactly what we did. We did our first NCL suite in Dec. We took all the kids. Originally booked a mini across from an inside with 4 in each room. I kept watching the price and with the KSF promo and OBC plus matching OBC and other perks from our TA we upgraded ourselves to two forward penthouses. It was great having the extra room with the kiddos plus the priority tendering and debarkation was great!! We also were able to get 8 seats together at the shows with no wait. Critical when you have an active 3 y/o!

I think I may be spoiled though but I only book what I can afford. I cannot do an inside cabin as I feel totally out of it and sleep all the time in a completely dark room. Minimum would be a balcony for me but I think NCL does the suitelife the BEST! I'm always looking for a deal!

I think it was how you worded your post. That's the problem with message boards/texting sometimes it doesn't come across how you actually mean it to sound. You saying that persons way is "flawed" I thought the same thing as if u were talking down to that poster.

Thats how I interpreted it also. You are so right about how things can come across the wrong way.

Unfortunately for my fiance and myself, he has a really hard time getting away from work. He usually takes about two weeks a year so when we do it, we do it up. So I guess we are in the cruise less often in a suite rather than more often in a regular cabin simply due to work restrictions. Hopefully someday we won't have to make the choice :)

This is how I feel too. I work many weeks and many hours a year; my vacation time is precious. I go all out; suite, new wardrobe, sky's the limit! It makes me feel pampered and relaxed, and that feeling needs to carry me through the next 50 weeks!

Yeah, I can take that. Talking down to that poster was not my intention, but I see how that came across that way...

Edited by triptolemus

Note to Triptolemus: Can you please accept the fact that everyone needs to handle their finances in a way that makes sense to them? I don't think anyone here hired you as their financial advisor

Ugh - thank you. I had 3 different replies typed and deleted them all :rolleyes: I can't imagine ever telling anyone how to manage their finances. Crazy.

That looks like a nice suite on the miracle that you sailed on. Looks so roomy. I was on the miracle but it was over 10 years ago. One of the very first sailing for her.

That was my first Ocean Suite. My sister and I went so I treated her to the suite life. We had a fantastic time! My DH and I got our first Junior Suite on RC and were hooked! Now I look for bargains for that size cabin! We might have to go back to a regular balcony for Hawaii though, but that's okay, we'll "suffer". LOL :D

Anyone else "gone back"?

I have been on a balcony twice and I have had not problem "going back". In fact, i don't care much for a balcony as I seem to sweat to death when I'm out there during the day. And there is so much going on while on the ship that I feel I'm missing out when sitting on the balcony and when I'm roaming the ship, I feel bad that I paid extra for a balcony that I'm not using. Granted, the wife would love to have a balcony every time, but she, like I, would rather have more cruises than anything else. I am thinking about trying a balcony on the MSC Divina though as they have some that are set back and under a great deal of cover to I wouldn't get burnt to a crisp while on the balcony.

I have been on a balcony twice and I have had not problem "going back". In fact, i don't care much for a balcony as I seem to sweat to death when I'm out there during the day. And there is so much going on while on the ship that I feel I'm missing out when sitting on the balcony and when I'm roaming the ship, I feel bad that I paid extra for a balcony that I'm not using. Granted, the wife would love to have a balcony every time, but she, like I, would rather have more cruises than anything else. I am thinking about trying a balcony on the MSC Divina though as they have some that are set back and under a great deal of cover to I wouldn't get burnt to a crisp while on the balcony.

My husband loves the balcony. When I upgraded us to a suite, I felt bad because the B1 we had booked had a huge balcony, and the suite has a tiny balcony. If it wasn't for the 2 bedroom / 2 bath in the suite (with a 17-year old), I would not have done it.

I honestly can't imagine going back to a regular balcony with my current situation, but I also know that if I had the ability to cruise multiple times per year, I'd trade the suite life for multiple cruises in a heartbeat.

Right now, when I get to cruise I want a very relaxing and yes, pampered, experience. My vacations are few and far between and I want to make the most of them (for me, that's the relaxation and pampering part). But, if I were retired or otherwise able to cruise far more often, then I think it wouldn't seem like quite such a unique/special experience and the amenities of a suite would be less important to me. I'd still want a balcony no matter what, but as long as I had that I'd be fine.

In the end, it's really all about what is important to the particular person. Somebody who chooses a suite isn't necessarily richer, snobbier, or more pretentious than somebody who elects an inside. By the same token, somebody who chooses an inside isn't cheaper or less refined than the person in the suite. It's just that each person has found the manner of travel that fits best for their priorities, needs, and circumstances. The great thing is that when it comes to cruising we can all find our niche and still cruise together. :)

I typically don't book a suite unless I see a good price drop (be it for a new booking or upgrade) or sale that includes other perks.

I changed from the RCI Oasis to the Getaway (Haven suite) this coming summer when NCL had the really good sale going on that included (no cost) drink and specialty dining packages (the latter only for Haven guests). I still paid more than I would have for the Oasis cruise, but that cruise was a (non suite) boardwalk balcony. By the time you consider the cost of specialty dining, drinks, and the additional OBC I got for switching to the Haven, I probably come out just a little ahead by making the switch. Plus to be honest I'm anxious to try a Haven suite at least once; the most I've sailed in was a junior suite on Royal (although I will do a Grand next spring).

My first suite I booked as an upgrade 3 days before sailing, which is going to be my plan of action from now on. Book balconies, look for deals on suites. I'll still look for good promos, but nothing beats last minute price drops.

I'll even be looking for upgrades on the Getaway though, as the courtyard suites are kind of small (which is why they are the cheapest).

I can afford a suite by Not cruising in suite's .

I save so much buying a cruise in an inside I can go tomorrow .

That $850 OBC would buy me another cruise .

I got 7 day Bermuda for $299 pp with port fees and tax times two people = $ 881.66

I have scored this deal 3 times allowing me to sail a lot more got me to Platinum level fast with plenty of perks .

I must admit hanging out in the Garden Villa at the captain party was fun but after an hour I was done with it ! If I want to hang out in a hotel room I'd go to one .I'm on a cruise I want out of the cabin . I'm stuck in all winter .

And not to rant but the suite's are in the worst locations on the ship .

On one rough voyage our friend from an SJ suite high and forward .

Hung out in our deck 5 midship just for relief from all the motion upstairs.

J.M.H.O.

My aft PH On the Sun is the best location on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late to the game here (seems I missed a fair amount of fun), but thought I'd chime in.

We set a budget for our trips and then search for the best deal that fits our needs. We've sailed in connecting ocean views on Disney, balconies on NCL and RCCL, a mini-suite on the Jewel, and in the second largest suite on the Vision of the Seas. Different trips, different ships, different options, different promotions. We were in an OS on Vision because it was the most cost effective way of 5 people sailing with a balcony on that ship. On the Jewel, that way was booking a mini-suite with an inside across the hall.

I probably won't book an inside in order to increase the number of cruises I can go on, quite frankly because I can't cruise more than one every couple of years anyway due to work, college expenses, and the cost of flying a family of 5 somewhere. So when it's time for a cruise we figure out where we want to go, then the most cost effective way of getting there while still giving me a way to put my feet up and overlook the ocean. I don't need a butler, concierge, breakfast in cagneys, etc. Great if it works out that way, but not a priority for us.

I agree with the OP though..if a suite IS important to you, there are strategies for saving and reducing price that help pay for it. Same applies for buying a car or anything else. Savings strategies usually start with eliminating those 3 latte's per day from Starbux! (3 x $4.50 x 365 = $5,000!). We're finding we're saving about $20 in gas per day with our new electric car. It all adds up!

Edited by sdmike

We just did our first suite in the Garden Villa on the Dawn a few weeks ago.

As much as DW and I enjoyed the suite and the amenities, we did not use them nearly as much as the others in the suite or found that we used the extra space enough to justify one 7 day cruise in a suite, versus three or four 7 day cruises in an inside cabin. (like we usually do)

I will take 2 cruises a year in an inside or well priced balcony, over saving up for 1 1/2 - 2 years for one cruise in a suite for the same price. (the gap from our December 2012 Dream cruise, until our April 2014 Dawn cruise was the longest stretch of no cruises, since we started cruising.)

21-28 inside days at sea, is better than 7 suite days, even in the Garden Villa.

Now my parents are the opposite.

They have already booked another suite on the Dawn for a Canada cruise out of Boston.

I have to say, if we frequently cruised with close friends and we both preferred balconies, a suite for multiple couples, with all the extra common area and the suite amenities, is a bargain.

Edited by bguppies

In the end, it's really all about what is important to the particular person. Somebody who chooses a suite isn't necessarily richer, snobbier, or more pretentious than somebody who elects an inside. By the same token, somebody who chooses an inside isn't cheaper or less refined than the person in the suite. It's just that each person has found the manner of travel that fits best for their priorities, needs, and circumstances. The great thing is that when it comes to cruising we can all find our niche and still cruise together. :)

Well said :D

It is very interesting to read about other people's experience when deciding what type of room to book. Due to a very busy work schedule, we can only travel twice per year - once duing the winter and once during the summer. When we travel we like to make the most of our vacation and are always looking for ways to enhance our experience. We enjoy the suite life because of the extra perks, but also realize that sometimes we cannot afford to cruise in a suite. We are travelling to Alaska next summer with my in-laws and could not justify the price of suite considering the additional expenses of travelling to Alaska from the East Coast. So, we booked a balcony.

I cruised in the owners suite once which was a complimentary upgrade on RCL from a balcony cabin (that does not happen with NCL). It was very, very nice (with the exception of ding dong ditchem doorbell kids that caused us to have to have it disabled). In the end though we decided it would never be worth it to us to pay the regular rate. I would much rather take more cruises in balconies than less in suites.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Late to the game here (seems I missed a fair amount of fun), but thought I'd chime in.

We set a budget for our trips and then search for the best deal that fits our needs. We've sailed in connecting ocean views on Disney, balconies on NCL and RCCL, a mini-suite on the Jewel, and in the second largest suite on the Vision of the Seas. Different trips, different ships, different options, different promotions. We were in an OS on Vision because it was the most cost effective way of 5 people sailing with a balcony on that ship. On the Jewel, that way was booking a mini-suite with an inside across the hall.

I probably won't book an inside in order to increase the number of cruises I can go on, quite frankly because I can't cruise more than one every couple of years anyway due to work, college expenses, and the cost of flying a family of 5 somewhere. So when it's time for a cruise we figure out where we want to go, then the most cost effective way of getting there while still giving me a way to put my feet up and overlook the ocean. I don't need a butler, concierge, breakfast in cagneys, etc. Great if it works out that way, but not a priority for us.

I agree with the OP though..if a suite IS important to you, there are strategies for saving and reducing price that help pay for it. Same applies for buying a car or anything else. Savings strategies usually start with eliminating those 3 latte's per day from Starbux! (3 x $4.50 x 365 = $5,000!). We're finding we're saving about $20 in gas per day with our new electric car. It all adds up!

Like your car strategy. How about mine? I now have a round trip commute of under two miles a day. And more time to "cruise the forum".