Weather Question

TidePrideGA

We sailed the western on Dec. 10th last year on the Conquest. We had high wind (up to 60 knots one day) which caused rough seas. The temeratures while in port were very nice, never hot, never cold. Actually, in cozumel we did the mayan ruins of tulum tour and it did seem to get a little warm, now that I think about it. But it wasn't exremely hot, or cold or rainy.

Unfortunately, when our plane from New Orleans landed in Cincinnati, we found ourselves in the middle of the great December blizzard of 2004. It took us 3 hours to go home (only 14 miles). Should have stayed in Grand Caymen.

I wouldn't worry about the weather.

Jim

It will always be warm enough for shorts and swimming. No one can ever know in advance about clouds/rain.

Thanks Gator and S7S! I'm not "worried" about the weather necessarily, nor did I expect anyone to give me a forecast - just wondering about "normal" temps. I've been thinking "tropical" and then saw a post about someone preferring the Southern Carib in winter because it's warmer and just wondered how much of a factor that is.... I'm assuming light sweats and a light jacket/sweater might be convenient for sitting on our aft balcony after sunset.

We sailed the western on Dec. 10th last year on the Conquest. We had high wind (up to 60 knots one day) which caused rough seas. The temeratures while in port were very nice, never hot, never cold. Actually, in cozumel we did the mayan ruins of tulum tour and it did seem to get a little warm, now that I think about it. But it wasn't exremely hot, or cold or rainy.

Unfortunately, when our plane from New Orleans landed in Cincinnati, we found ourselves in the middle of the great December blizzard of 2004. It took us 3 hours to go home (only 14 miles). Should have stayed in Grand Caymen.

I wouldn't worry about the weather.

Jim

Gator - one more question. You mention the Tulum tour - what did you think? Worth the rather pricy fee? DH and I would both like to do that but have decided against it because there are 3 of us (20 year old son coming along) and it would be @ $350, plus take most of the day when we'd probably prefer to explore Cozumel.... what do you think?

We sailed on the Westerdam last Dec 10 and it was to the Western Caribbean. It was very hot and humid in every port and also very windy with high seas the whole trip except when we were docked. It rained the last sea day. :confused:

If I had to do over again, I wouldn't do it. It started with a long wait (in the heat that I now remember) for the ferry to show up. It was late. Then about 45 minutes or an hour on rough water in a rather unstable boat. Then an hour bus ride with the obligatory stop for junk to buy in the middle. Once we got there, it was very cool, but not what I thought. I guess I expected a big pyramid (my assumption) and there was only a mini-pyramid and you couldn't climb it. Then two hours back.

Not again. I hate saying it. I'm not usually a complainer.

Jim

If I had to do over again, I wouldn't do it. It started with a long wait (in the heat that I now remember) for the ferry to show up. It was late. Then about 45 minutes or an hour on rough water in a rather unstable boat. Then an hour bus ride with the obligatory stop for junk to buy in the middle. Once we got there, it was very cool, but not what I thought. I guess I expected a big pyramid (my assumption) and there was only a mini-pyramid and you couldn't climb it. Then two hours back.

Not again. I hate saying it. I'm not usually a complainer.

Jim

That's about what we were afraid of .... we're in port from noon to 9:00 p.m. so it would, at best, take all of the "sun" time, and at the cost, and not having heard anyone call it a "must do", we were going to pass - now we're DEFINITELY going to pass! THANKS!

Archived