Copenhagen free walking tour advice? That or canal tour?

lawgirl

We are in Copenhagen on a Thursday from 7 am to 4 pm July 3 on Brilliance. I saw two free walking tours on tripadvisor: Copenhagen Free Walking tour OR Sandemans. Both meet in front of town hall in town square at 11 am...lasts 3 hours.

Questions:

1. Has anyone done one? Was it good? What did you tip?

2. How do I get from ship to town hall? I have never been to Copenhagen so I need exact directions? Or can we walk?

3. Is this a better option than canal tour? I doubt we can fit in both....?

Thanks!

Bus 26 will get you directly to Rådhuspladsen (town hall square) in 20 minutes time, most of the time you can get it directly from Langeliniekaj but sometimes its only run from Indiakaj at the bottom of Langeliniekaj but its only a 2-5 minute walking depending on if your ship has docked at the bottom of the pier or at the tip.

I'm guessing that your ship is docked at Langeliniekaj but I will have to double check that info to be sure.

The only difference is that you will have 3 busses every hour to choose from, if its from the new terminal at Oceankaj its only 2 busses every hour and a added travel time of around 20 minutes.

Edited by Danish viking

We are in Copenhagen on a Thursday from 7 am to 4 pm July 3 on Brilliance. I saw two free walking tours on tripadvisor: Copenhagen Free Walking tour OR Sandemans. Both meet in front of town hall in town square at 11 am...lasts 3 hours.

Questions:

2. How do I get from ship to town hall? I have never been to Copenhagen so I need exact directions? Or can we walk?

Thanks!

You are on the same cruise as us and we have looked at the free walking tour. It starts at 11am from the Town Hall and takes 3 hours. We shall probably be able to get off the ship by 8am and need to be back on board by 3pm so a swift return to the ship after the walking tour. We plan to try and walk most of the route well before 11am if possible which will give us enough time for a canal tour as well.

We will be docking at Langelinie pier.

You are on the same cruise as us and we have looked at the free walking tour. It starts at 11am from the Town Hall and takes 3 hours. We shall probably be able to get off the ship by 8am and need to be back on board by 3pm so a swift return to the ship after the walking tour. We plan to try and walk most of the route well before 11am if possible which will give us enough time for a canal tour as well.

We will be docking at Langelinie pier.

Hello! I would love to hear your time frame for taking the walking tour and the canal tour? I read from Danish Viking on another thread that it would be very hard to accomplish, as the canal cruise leaves from across town -- the more expensive one leaves earliest at 9:30 the cheaper canal cruise (same things seen per Rick Steves) leaves at 10 am. If it lasts an hour, I did not think I could take both, but if you figured out a way, I would be very interested.

I was thinking that the ship would be all aboard at 3:30 -- disembark at 4:00... do you know where the walking tour ends? See you on the ship!!!

Questions:

Thanks!

This shows the canal tour that I took in 2010. It takes just under an hour so maybe you could ask your guide if he/she could end up there at a suitable time. From memory they (canal tours) start on the hour. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]xif4wAmV7HE[/YOUTUBE]

As I understand this walking tour is rated very highly. My only problem with it is it wastes the entire day for the tour. If anyone is interested, it is very easy to walk around Copenhagen on your own. yes, you don't get the details of a guide, but you will get to see much more in the time you have. We wanted a walking tour of Copenhagen, we wrote to their tourism site and they sent us wonderful maps with tours outlined.

An example, if you dock at Langeline, you are 10 minutes from the Little Mermaid, walking along the shore you pass the Marble church, on to Amalienborg Palace, then to Nyhavn where can wander in the terrific area and go on the canal tour. From here, you would walk thru the Stroget, into Town Hall square where Tivoli gardens is. We didn't do the tour in the town Hall, but we wandered about inside. From there we walked to Rosenborg Castle. Again, we didn't tour then Castle, but we relaxed in the gardens. From there we walked back to the ship.

There are also several great walking tours from Frommers, if you are interested.

Yes, it may not be exactly what you were interested in, but it will make much better use of your time and you will see a lot more.

Cheers

Len

As I understand this walking tour is rated very highly. My only problem with it is it wastes the entire day for the tour. If anyone is interested, it is very easy to walk around Copenhagen on your own. yes, you don't get the details of a guide, but you will get to see much more in the time you have. We wanted a walking tour of Copenhagen, we wrote to their tourism site and they sent us wonderful maps with tours outlined.

An example, if you dock at Langeline, you are 10 minutes from the Little Mermaid, walking along the shore you pass the Marble church, on to Amalienborg Palace, then to Nyhavn where can wander in the terrific area and go on the canal tour. From here, you would walk thru the Stroget, into Town Hall square where Tivoli gardens is. We didn't do the tour in the town Hall, but we wandered about inside. From there we walked to Rosenborg Castle. Again, we didn't tour then Castle, but we relaxed in the gardens. From there we walked back to the ship.

There are also several great walking tours from Frommers, if you are interested.

Yes, it may not be exactly what you were interested in, but it will make much better use of your time and you will see a lot more.

Cheers

Len

That is a great suggestion. Do you have any links to where I can get the suggested walking tours? Thanks!

That is a great suggestion. Do you have any links to where I can get the suggested walking tours? Thanks!

Yes, we are planning to more or less do exactly what Len suggests above, but if you contact Copenhagen Tourism, they will send you some information including a great map of the city on which a walking tour is clearly marked.

Hopefully we will meet up with you at our Meet & Mingle :)

Yes, we are planning to more or less do exactly what Len suggests above, but if you contact Copenhagen Tourism, they will send you some information including a great map of the city on which a walking tour is clearly marked.

Hopefully we will meet up with you at our Meet & Mingle :)

That is EXACTLY what we did and what they sent us. (just Google tourism office in Copenhagen)

We enjoy going at our own pace and never seemed to enjoy a tour. I love to take pix and will stop and wait for a good shot, something you can't do on any tour. We timed it right so we were able to see the Changing of the Guard at Amalienborg Palace.

Again, I wasn't suggesting that the guided tour is not a good option, but it just seems to waste valuable time, that can be put to better use if you are off on your own.

A few highlites of our walking tour

The Little Mermaid is only steps from the cruise dock

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe218.jpg

Amalienborg Palace.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe230.jpg

Nyhavn and the canal cruise ( A MUST do)

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe248_zps07b56845.jpg

A different perspective along the canals

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe284_zpscc7bc696.jpg

Town Hall

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe326.jpg

Rosenborg Castle (if you do tour, you will see the Crown Jewels) We opted to relax in the gardens

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe332.jpg

In fact one of our major highlites of our time in Copenhagen, was, on the way back to the ship, we stopped in some park to enjoy some ice cream. It was a Sunday and many families were there enjoying the nice weather. We ended up chatting with a couple of families who were just as curious about us as we were about them. It was really a great hour that we spent there, talking with the locals. Just something you can't do on organized tours.

Cheers

Len

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Might be a silly question but I found the visitcopenhagen website but how do I contact them for the free map - did you just email and ask or was there an area to request one?

Thanks!

Sorry, we've been away in Paris for a long weekend.

Yes, I emailed them giving them our name and address and they sent quite a bit of information and the map with the walk marked on it, all free. :)