Helmet Dive or Snuba Western Caribbean

ShamrockFL

Does anyone know where either Snuba or Helmet Diving is available on any of these stops - Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman or Cozumel. Also can you describe exactly what the helmet dive is. Do you have a web site I can use to contact the operators. Any approximate costs please would be helpful. Thanks.

http://www.snuba.com has a page where you can find the operator on the islands where snuba is available. On Labadee, you only have the choice of the ship's excursions. You can check the Royal Caribbean web site to see what they offer there.

I know that you can do a helmet "dive" in Cozumel at Chankanaab part once it reopens. It is currently closed due to hurricane damage. Actually, the name helmet "dive" is misleading because participants do not dive, they only walk on the bottom. Walking on the sea bottom isn't the best way to see the marine life. Snuba allows more freedom in movement and the feeling of weightlessness is great.

As to costs, that will vary by operator, but I would expect to pay somewhere in the neighbourhood of $60.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info. I really had fun learning about scuba, snuba, and snorkeling. With me the more I learn the less afraid I am. In fact I am having a ball learning all about cruising. If my (1st time 9/30/05) cruise is half as fun as reading all the posts ,I'm in for a wonderful time!:)

• 3 weeks later...

I did the helmet dive (or walk, if you want to call it that), in Chakanaab. It was around $60, somewhat fun, but very limiting, everybody walks along all together, holding onto a cable, not at all like snorkeling. I would not reccommend it at all for anyone that is the slightest bit claustrophobia, your head is entirely enclosed, but you can slip your hand in from underneath and clear your nose if you need to. Now on the other hand, I have also done snuba, in Molokini, it was fantastic, in fact I am going to Kauai next month and am going to do it again, at least one or maybe even two times!!!! I had a little case of nerves, mostly afraid that the regulator would fall out of my mouth....I kept a death grip on it....my mouth was so tired I could barely even drink a beer when I got back on the boat...so this time I will try to relax a little more! You are with a certified diver the entire time..so there is nothing to worry about. I was actually less concerned about the reef shark swimming around than I was about losing my regulator! Whatever you do...have a great time!!

Archived