Buttering up room steward(s) at the beginning of the cruise

lisacb12

We just returned from the April 23rd Dream cruise out of New Orleans. Had a great cruise but did notice a huge change. Not sure if it's fleet wide or just that ship. The steward would fill the ice early in the morning and again late at night. The hardest thing was if you needed ice during the day. You would dial the room stewards number which when the call was picked up they would state that he was off duty and would not return back on duty till 6pm. If ice was needed you would have to call room service. Which room service would bring within 15-25 minutes generally after the call. Getting through to them during these peak times during the day was almost impossible sometimes. Usually after returning from a port visit, the ice would be melted and the room service line leaving you hold for ten to 15 minutes resulted in going up to the lido to get ice from either the drink station or a bar. Last year on the Magic I had this same problem but was across the hall from the stewards closet with the ice machine and happily filled my own. This time the steward locked his closet. The few times we found it open and tried to get our own ice I was chastised and told that I could not get my own. They then locked the closet and informed me to call room service. Back to waiting on hold again. If they would just allow us to get our own ice I would be more than happy to fill it myself.

Does the bottom part of your post include all those people who do not wash their hands after a quick cabin toilet stop:confused: Its in your best interest the steward doesnt allow everyone to collect their own stuff from the closet:)

You will get the same result simply asking for ice. And that's made out of the same water.

not always true, we require lots of ice and unless you inform them to keep it and an extra tub full they won't. I tipped early once so they would keep me stocked with plenty of ice and it confused him. I think they thought that was their only tip for the cruise.

A really good steward will not take a tip upfront -- it can be a bit insulting. It implies that they won't do a good job without upfront payment.

We've always gotten very good to excellent service from our stewards, we just treat them with the respect they deserve, and thank them sincerely whenever the handle a request for us. We also always leave our cabin neat and picked up, with nothing on the bathroom counters.

We almost always give them an envelope with additional cash on the last night.

I've never got one of those really good room stewards since I tip them the first days for rearranging the bed and bringing extra pillows and none ever turned down $$. (I also tip them and their helpers on the last night)

We just returned from the April 23rd Dream cruise out of New Orleans. . If they would just allow us to get our own ice I would be more than happy to fill it myself.

I agree with FishTaco regarding getting your own ice. I am guessing that you haven't seen anyone go to the lavatory and leave without washing his/her hands. I don't want passengers going in to the area where ice is and reaching in to get their own ice.

We would not know if they used a scoop, dipped the ice bucket that they have obviously carried in to get the ice, or even used their hands to get the ice out of the machine and into the bucket or cooler or whatever. I hope the stewards keep the door locked when they are off duty.

Another concern about getting one's own ice is noro-virus. I realize this is a stretch, but there are people who don't care about others so they sail when they are sick. Do you really want them touching the ice?

If you are happy to fill your own bucket, and I do understand the afternoon lack of ice, just go to the closest open bar and the bartender will fill the bucket for you. Easy peasy!

A very subjective subject here, one thing we can all agree on is, were all on VACATION, how any person chooses to spend to enhance, there experience via shore excursions , speciality restaurants , concerts, TIPPING, is up to the person doing it. I am sure it is not done to offend those that are not as fortunate!! Sounds to me like personal preference, I enjoy reading different ways my fellow VACATIONERS, like to celebrate, Not the nay sakers ............just MY opinion.

what bothers me the most. Is that extra tipping at the start of the cruise will turn into be expected . I know at some land resort it is the way it works now it is expected and i will not bow to that tune. Tipping to get service (bribery) is not the same as tipping for good service.

We don't give money at the beginning of the cruise but we do leave candy for the room steward. The past two cruises we've done that and they were very appreciative of it. We didn't expect to get better service from it, we just did it because we wanted to. We left them a small baggy of candy along with the towel animal. Of course at the end of the cruise we did give them extra money as well.

what bothers me the most. Is that extra tipping at the start of the cruise will turn into be expected . I know at some land resort it is the way it works now it is expected and i will not bow to that tune. Tipping to get service (bribery) is not the same as tipping for good service.

I agree, now that these gratuities are becoming standard tacked on "service charges", now we will start adding "tips" again on top.

On port days, I order breakfast from room service and write in the ticket, "bucket of ice, please." They bring a big bucket, which our room steward's assistant will refill during the day. I tip room service, of course, but I do not pretip the room steward. I leave the automatic gratuities on, and unless the service is above and beyond, we don't add any extra. We also don't make any special requests to warrant extra tips.

However, on one cruise, we needed to clean shell specimens and our room steward brought us the cleaning liquids to do so. He received $20 each day he did that.

Great idea about writing in "bucket of ice please" on bfast order form. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just came back from the Splendor and I didn't tip up front or tip anything extra and the service was nearly perfect. We almost ran out of toilet paper and that was the only negative thing I can say.

I asked for ice the first night and it was filled 2x a day after that. I asked for an extra pillow and got one. Those were my only two requests and they were met with a smile.

I just came back from the Splendor and I didn't tip up front or tip anything extra and the service was nearly perfect. We almost ran out of toilet paper and that was the only negative thing I can say.

I asked for ice the first night and it was filled 2x a day after that. I asked for an extra pillow and got one. Those were my only two requests and they were met with a smile.

That's the way it works, unless you have a less than standard steward. :)

Okay I will chime in. I am a new cruiser but based on a friend of mine who has over 50 cruises under her belt tipping at the beginning isn't a real good idea. In some cultures it is an insult as if you have to bribe them to do the job they are supposed to do anyway. Also what is the incentive to do a good job if you already have your tip. I know pride comes into the equation but you catch the drift. Last but not least have you ever tipped up front in a restaurant?

I did tip up front once and it was the worst cabin steward I ever had. He was brutal.

I usually like to wait until about four days in and if they are doing a good job I will give them something extra then.

My friends tell me a good review mentioning their name on the comment card is one of the best things you can do for any cruise worker. That goes a long way to getting them promoted.

As far as the ice dilemma goes a collapsible cooler is the best thing since sliced bread. Check it out http://www.amazon.com/Izzo-Golf-Collapsi-Cool-Cooler/dp/B00CHO8ZCC/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TQ2KXP9F1S5M1P5RZEH

. . . In some cultures it is an insult as if you have to bribe them to do the job they are supposed to do anyway. Also what is the incentive to do a good job if you already have your tip. I know pride comes into the equation but you catch the drift . . .

My friends tell me a good review mentioning their name on the comment card is one of the best things you can do for any cruise worker. That goes a long way to getting them promoted.

I totally agree that filling out a positive comment card is a really good display of gratitude, and I highly encourage it.

The culture comment has been mentioned earlier, and it definitely deserves some attention. I'm fortunate that I've previously been required, by my employer, to study gift giving etiquette for multiple nations/cultures. It has come in quite handy [and speaking of hands, it's best to use the right hand or both, but rarely/never your left only] both at work and on a multitude of cruises.

I totally look the part of the white bread American, so I often get an initial look of surprise followed by a big grin when I offer an obviously non-native general greeting and Thank You in their native language (after looking carefully at the name tag). It's fun to do the study and make the effort.

Also, if the training for Carnival's onboard crew is anything like that of some of its competitors . . . there is a strong focus on assisting getting past some multi-cultural 'standards' such as gift giving and slang. Omitting that would be foolish for any in the cruise industry.

On our cruise 3 weeks ago I left a note with a please and Thank you asking for an ice bucket and to please empty the drink cooler. Both were done while we were at dinner the first night. Then I ordered a midnight snack from room service and asked for an ice bucket. I always kept the filled one in the drink cooler and the melted/empty one on the counter. I thought of leaving a $20 with the note and decided it seemed inappropriate.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 1 month later...
I agree with FishTaco regarding getting your own ice. I am guessing that you haven't seen anyone go to the lavatory and leave without washing his/her hands. I don't want passengers going in to the area where ice is and reaching in to get their own ice.

We would not know if they used a scoop, dipped the ice bucket that they have obviously carried in to get the ice, or even used their hands to get the ice out of the machine and into the bucket or cooler or whatever. I hope the stewards keep the door locked when they are off duty.

Another concern about getting one's own ice is noro-virus. I realize this is a stretch, but there are people who don't care about others so they sail when they are sick. Do you really want them touching the ice?

If you are happy to fill your own bucket, and I do understand the afternoon lack of ice, just go to the closest open bar and the bartender will fill the bucket for you. Easy peasy!

But yet you all have eaten on the lido buffet at least once and the same dirty hands have handled each of your serving spoons. Strange how an ice bucket is any different or would possibly hold more germs.

We have been on over 50 cruises and have never tipped at the beginning of our cruise. We have always been polite and thankful to our cabin steward and give the auto gratuities.

I guess we have been lucky. Normally we bring the allowed bottles of wine onboard for cabin consumption. I can honestly say I have never had to ask for ice. Also, they normally bring us a couple of wine glasses! I have experienced this across the board.... different lines.

On our honeymoon in 2003 we had a very large suite on RCL. It was stocked with booze that we didn't drink. We gave it all to the steward at the end of the cruise. She was

happy:-)

Its your money, do with it what you wish. Its your vacation, if you feel better paying in advance, at the end, or everyday.

Obviously there are cultures that "traditionally" feel tipping is an insult, however the stewards are experienced (or should be) and most would look at the tip from the source. If that tip is from an american they understand that this makes some americans feel comfortable doing it up front.

I have only been on one cruise (2nd in 11 days) but having been a frequent travel throughout the world you do what makes you feel happy.

My only concern is that people are too quick to remove all tips because of one or two bad experiences or individuals. On my first cruise I was in line customer service for a good while for a question involving handicap debarkation for my mother and 4 of the 6 people in front of me adjusted down or took off their tips entirely, most saying they spent too much during the cruise. SAD! :mad::mad:

Off my soap box, happy cruising everyone! Only 11 days to the DREAM!!

But yet you all have eaten on the lido buffet at least once and the same dirty hands have handled each of your serving spoons. Strange how an ice bucket is any different or would possibly hold more germs.

I guess you missed the part where I said used their hands.(to get the ice and/or put their ice bucket in the machine to use as a scoop.) I have eaten at the buffet many times and use hand wash to clean my hands before I eat. You and others who don't care have your opinion just as I have mine.

We will have to agree to disagree as I don't want anyone unauthorized able to use the ice machine and it doesn't seem to bother you and others. Enjoy your cruise!

Any employee paid up front will do the same job if they got paid at the end of the week.

You have no clue if you have the best or the worst before you see them do anything, so don't waste your time.

I agree with this. Last cruise I thought I would give some cash up front - because I heard on these forums it was 'good' to do. It did not work out well for me. When DH and I returned to our rooms around 4pm each day after being out since 9am, our bed was never made and towels were not changed out. She only came to our room after we went to dinner to turn it down, after sloppily pulling the sheets up, and left towels. There were no towel animals or chocolates except for maybe one night of a 6 day cruise. I don't let things like this ruin my cruise, but I let it teach me a lesson. I will never give a tip again without knowing the quality of service I am getting, and I am a generous tipper in my every day life.

In fairness, my DH may be to blame. As we were leaving the room that first day when we met her, he told her 'not to work too hard'. Maybe something got lost in translation. That is how I prefer to see it. Still disappointing to not have the full 'treatment'. The room steward on my first cruise made me feel like a queen and hopefully this second experience was a fluke.

I have tipped a little extra to the steward in the beginning of the cruise and on other cruises I didn't. The times I did tip it was because I wanted something a little extra such as my collapsable cooler to kept full with ice. I can tell you that the ice was always there without asking again and the service was much more personable than times I did not offer anything extra in the beginning. Do I tip a little in advance every time, NO. I tip how I want and Im sure it is appreciated.

It baffles me how someone who says they never tip anything in advance can argue that service will still be the same..... How would you know if you never did it?

I always leave $10 cash on my pillow every morning(do the same thing on land vacations) and, no, I'm not rich; but, I really appreciate the fact that someone else will be making my bed, picking up my wet towels and keeping my room clean every day. Then, the morning of departure, I usually leave an additional amount depending on what kind of service we've had during the week.

I always leave $10 cash on my pillow every morning(do the same thing on land vacations) and, no, I'm not rich; but, I really appreciate the fact that someone else will be making my bed, picking up my wet towels and keeping my room clean every day. Then, the morning of departure, I usually leave an additional amount depending on what kind of service we've had during the week.

Isn't that part of their job description and therefore, not going above and beyond? Your automatic gratuities take care of that.

Edited by Disconnections

Isn't that part of their job description and therefore, not going above and beyond? Your automatic gratuities take care of that.

Yes, seems like some forget that 90 days ago they also paid the fare for the cruise? These normal services are part of the cruise fare and any gratuities are on top of that.

On my recent Celebrity cruise the steward was playing "hide the lounge chair". When I asked why my balcony didn't have a lounge chair he said there were only so many to go around and he might be able to find one for us. So, for my $10 I guess I got someone else's lounge chair but a happy wife. If one balcony has a lounge chair shouldn't they all have them?

I expect my fare to include towels, ice and furniture.

Edited by cruzincurt

• 5 months later...
Any employee paid up front will do the same job if they got paid at the end of the week.

You have no clue if you have the best or the worst before you see them do anything, so don't waste your time.

I'm going to try buttering up my steward on my next Carnival cruise.