Questions about drinking packages

1) If you're 18-20, you can drink (with parental permission) on board a cruise, but you can't buy the Unlimited Dining Package. Why?

2) I know there is a soda package for $6.50 (+15%) a day, but is there a package to buy non-alocholic drinks like a virgin strawberry daiquiri?

1) If you're 18-20, you can drink (with parental permission) on board a cruise, but you can't buy the Unlimited Dining Package. Why?

2) I know there is a soda package for $6.50 (+15%) a day, but is there a package to buy non-alocholic drinks like a virgin strawberry daiquiri?

18 - 20 year olds can't drink liquor, it would be beer/wine only with the parental permission signed on the ship so the Ultimate package wouldn't be an option for them. You might possibly check into the Corks and Caps pacakge which is beer and wine @ $44 per day + 15%

There isn't a package for virgin drinks, that was offered in the past with a couplon booklet with about 20 coupons in it as a "Teen Passport" package.

18 - 20 year olds can't drink liquor, it would be beer/wine only with the parental permission signed on the ship so the Ultimate package wouldn't be an option for them. You might possibly check into the Corks and Caps pacakge which is beer and wine @ $44 per day + 15%

There isn't a package for virgin drinks, that was offered in the past with a couplon booklet with about 20 coupons in it as a "Teen Passport" package.

So beer and wine only, not a mixed drink? Like vodka and cranberry juice? Because I hate beer and wine.

I was 18 last year on a cruise and my dad would buy those types of drinks for me and no one ever questioned me when I was drinking them. I didn't realize this "wasn't allowed".

Edited by jmcookiemonster25

We got that booklet in 2009, so they don't do that anymore?

So beer and wine only, not a mixed drink? Like vodka and cranberry juice? Because I hate beer and wine.

I was 18 last year on a cruise and my dad would buy those types of drinks for me and no one ever questioned me when I was drinking them. I didn't realize this "wasn't allowed".

http://www.ncl.com/faq#alcohol-consumption

There's a link to the policy on the website, it does say beer and wine only. For Alaska and Hawaii cruises you can't even get the wine and beer under age 21. For Europe you don't need the signed consent form.

And I'm confused? You mention a couple of booze questions, but are asking about the dining package? It is certainly available to a teenager. Did you mean the beverage package?

And I'm confused? You mention a couple of booze questions, but are asking about the dining package? It is certainly available to a teenager. Did you mean the beverage package?

Yeah sorry I meant drinking. We bought the dining package so whenever I think "Ultimate ____ Package" I stick dining in there.

So yes, Ultimate Drinking Package. My bad.

Last year I bought my daughter a pina colada or two when we were at shows.. I did sign for her to be able to drink beer and wine (she was 19), but she doesnt like beer or wine.....

So you bought her the non-beer/wine drinks. You signed her up to drink, was she able to purchase a mixed drink herself or did she not try?

She didnt try.....None of the waiters/waitresses questioned anything. If we were at dinner or a show, i would do the ordering and they always got served. But they never drank more than two....They may have been questioned if we kept ordering...

She didnt try.....None of the waiters/waitresses questioned anything. If we were at dinner or a show, i would do the ordering and they always got served. But they never drank more than two....They may have been questioned if we kept ordering...

Okay thanks. My dad bought me drinks too and no one ever said anything. I only had 1 or 2.

Why are you so hung up on how much and what types of alcohol you are going to be able to drink on your cruise while underage? Just curious.

Not going to buy the unlimited package - for $50 a day that means like 8 drinks a day.

But I would like to be able to order a mixed drink and I hate beer and wine. I like never drink.

can someone clarify this for me wrt eu cruises can an over 18 year old buy/get cocktails on an eu cruise. Is the wine /beer rule just for the US. Our young adults look after themsleves at uni all year and they can buy what ever the wish over 18 in UK (16 in some other EU places). My youngest DD will just have turned 18 and I planned on treating her to a one or two pina coladas on our cruise. She doesn't like wine- yet:p

can someone clarify this for me wrt eu cruises can an over 18 year old buy/get cocktails on an eu cruise. Is the wine /beer rule just for the US. Our young adults look after themsleves at uni all year and they can buy what ever the wish over 18 in UK (16 in some other EU places). My youngest DD will just have turned 18 and I planned on treating her to a one or two pina coladas on our cruise. She doesn't like wine- yet:p

Try this: On cruises embarking in a country where the legal drinking age is lower than 21 and where a young adult (age 18, 19 or 20) is not traveling with a parent or legal guardian, they will generally not be permitted to consume alcohol. There may be exceptions made to this restriction in areas of the world where local laws require and Norwegian Cruise Line concurs. Details on such exceptions can be obtained from the Guest Services Desk.

It sounds like Europe doesn't matter, the 18-20 year-old still must be with a parent and I believe it's only beer and wine.

Why are you so hung up on how much and what types of alcohol you are going to be able to drink on your cruise while underage? Just curious.

But its not underage to everyone- Our young adults are allowed to drink - anything they like from 18 that the law here. It's the parents responsibility to teach then to respect themselves and alcohol ahead of that age.

I think its bizarre that my eldest DD who has lived independently in her own flat for 4 years while at university is not considered an adult by a cruise in the EU at 20yrs. I accept that she is not an adult in the US and having cruised from tampa 2yrs ago, I would agree that most teens who where equivalent in age (19 at the time) acted more like my younger daughters age (15yrs) and were not nearly ready to be given alcohol or responsibilities (weird to see 18 yr olds trying to sneakily drink behinde their parents backs) - But that not how it is in the EU so I am surprised at their rule. But its no big deal as I would only expect my youngest to have 2-4 drinks over entire 12 days.

But its not underage to everyone- Our young adults are allowed to drink - anything they like from 18 that the law here. It's the parents responsibility to teach then to respect themselves and alcohol ahead of that age.

I think its bizarre that my eldest DD who has lived independently in her own flat for 4 years while at university is not considered an adult by a cruise in the EU at 20yrs. I accept that she is not an adult in the US and having cruised from tampa 2yrs ago, I would agree that most teens who where equivalent in age (19 at the time) acted more like my younger daughters age (15yrs) and were not nearly ready to be given alcohol or responsibilities (weird to see 18 yr olds trying to sneakily drink behinde their parents backs) - But that not how it is in the EU so I am surprised at their rule. But its no big deal as I would only expect my youngest to have 2-4 drinks over entire 12 days.

Yes, I am not a typical young adult, I don't go to parties and drink. I have a Mike's hard lemonade once in a great while at home, and when I'm on a cruise I like to enjoy it a little bit.

Yes, I am not a typical young adult, I don't go to parties and drink. I have a Mike's hard lemonade once in a great while at home, and when I'm on a cruise I like to enjoy it a little bit.

sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was judging Americans - its just that with different expectations from peers and adults they acted differently from my DD and her friends of the same age. No right or wrong approach to alcohol age - just different. There are some youngest this side of the pond who should not be allowed it - and I wouldn't want to be cruising with them if they had access to a bottomless bar lol!!

Edited by fragilek