When should I get documents for Europe cruise?

steph7021

In theUk, the usual is anything from 1-3 weeks before sailing, but normally I get them around 10-14 days before. I book with MSC UK directly and they email them. I believe MDC USA do the same. However if you've booked with a TA, they will be sent to them instaed of you. They will then either email them to you or prnt them and send them on by post.

The documents including luggage tags are all electronic. I booked through a travel agent and received mine a week ago for May 18th Armonia. I did have to remind the travel agent that I had not received them though but got them that day. I only print out the luggage tag page and save the docs in my email.

You do have to check in online before they issue them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received the documents for our cruise sailing in less than 2 weeks. I have seen two things that I don't really understand completely:

- About the dinner seating, we are listed as "Waiting List". The TA says we have to reconfirm on board. We also requested a table for 2 but we know it's not granted since they are very demanded. Anyone knows how it works? Might it have something to do with our request?

- We have 50€ On board credit each, due to a itinerary change. In the TA email it clearly states 2 x 50€ OBC, but in the MSC papers it mentions the 2 names and then 50€ OBC. Should I go to the reception to clear that point? Anyone has experience on that?

Lastly, they say check-in time in Venice is 13:00 (sailing at 17:00). According to these documents they close the gates at 15:30. Is 13:30 - 14:00 a good safe time to board? At what time is the muster drill?

We were thinking about arriving at Venice Santa Lucia station at 10:00 by train, then leave the bags at the luggage deposit and then spend 3 hours wandering around. (I lived 6 months near Venice so we are happy just by walking a bit). I have also read that there's a porter service from the station directly to the ship, I am afraid they might lose the luggage. Anyone has ever done that?

Sorry for the many questions!

Edited by Elmartellama

I have just received the documents for our cruise sailing in less than 2 weeks. I have seen two things that I don't really understand completely:

- About the dinner seating, we are listed as "Waiting List". The TA says we have to reconfirm on board. We also requested a table for 2 but we know it's not granted since they are very demanded. Anyone knows how it works? Might it have something to do with our request?

not necessarily connected to your request for a table for 2. It just means that there hasn't been a table assigned to you. When you get onboard, you will need to go and see the Maître D' to sort out the table allocation. There is a set place and time slot to do this. It is often listed in the daily Programme that will be in your cabin, if not check with reception. Sometimes it is done in the MDr, sometimes in a lounge nearby

- We have 50€ On board credit each, due to a itinerary change. In the TA email it clearly states 2 x 50€ OBC, but in the MSC papers it mentions the 2 names and then 50€ OBC. Should I go to the reception to clear that point? Anyone has experience on that?

personally, I'd attempt to sort this out before you go on your cruise. Onboard they'll tell you that your OBC is €50 for both of you as that is what the tickets says. If your TA has told you it's €50 each then they need to fix this now. Onboard, I can pretty much guarantee one of two things will happen - they'll tell you no, the paperwork just say one 50 OBC, or they'll say we need to email Napoli and you'll be lucky to get a response by the end of your cruise.

Lastly, they say check-in time in Venice is 13:00 (sailing at 17:00). According to these documents they close the gates at 15:30. Is 13:30 - 14:00 a good safe time to board? At what time is the muster drill?

not sure what you mean by safe? Do you mean not long to wait and not many people boarding at that time? It really depends on flight arrival and transfer times. It is likely to be fairly busy by then but you still have contingency time to get onboard by the final time, should it take longer to get to the embarkation hall than expected. I'd personally go just before 13.00 before the crowds start building up. Then again, I've been to Venice several times so don't want to spend time sight seeing on embarkation day, I just want to get on the ship. I've not been on your sailing but would expect muster to be around 4pm

We were thinking about arriving at Venice Santa Lucia station at 10:00 by train, then leave the bags at the luggage deposit and then spend 3 hours wandering around. (I lived 6 months near Venice so we are happy just by walking a bit). I have also read that there's a porter service from the station directly to the ship, I am afraid they might lose the luggage. Anyone has ever done that?

I don't know about this service, so can't help,you with this one.

Sorry for the many questions!

Seemy responses above - hope this helps

Thank you! as helpful as always :)

I will email my TA to try to solve the OBC thing (have already done so but they say it's OK according to them...)

I know it's just 50€, but I don't really want to worry about that on the cruise since I try to avoid any hassle while on vacation. We are undertaking a 12 day trip, it was a 10 days trip but due to an Easyjet Italy strike we have changed plans a bit :eek:, so I don't want my partner to discover this and give him yet another surprise :D !

Going on past experience, if you turn up to the ship at 11ish they'll let you embark no problem. (They may even give you a piece of paper that says "upgraded to early embarkation" although I don't know why, as no-one will ever ask to see this bit of paper!).

Could someone tell me if there are separate/ different cruise documents that I should be looking out for other than my emailed confirmation and the online information form I filled in? I just don't want to show up to the port without the right paperwork. Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you! as helpful as always :)

I will email my TA to try to solve the OBC thing (have already done so but they say it's OK according to them...)

I know it's just 50€, but I don't really want to worry about that on the cruise since I try to avoid any hassle while on vacation. We are undertaking a 12 day trip, it was a 10 days trip but due to an Easyjet Italy strike we have changed plans a bit :eek:, so I don't want my partner to discover this and give him yet another surprise :D !

Ummm, WAIT! Easyjet is on strike?! Please tell me more....We travel easyjet 3 times during our trip surrounding our May 26 Armonia cruise. I've been dealing with Iceland Air strike...

Could someone tell me if there are separate/ different cruise documents that I should be looking out for other than my emailed confirmation and the online information form I filled in? I just don't want to show up to the port without the right paperwork. Thanks!

Yes you need your etickets too. They will either be sent to you via your TA if you used a TA or by MSC if you booked direct. Mine usually turn up around 2 weeks before the sailing date.

Ummm, WAIT! Easyjet is on strike?! Please tell me more....We travel easyjet 3 times during our trip surrounding our May 26 Armonia cruise. I've been dealing with Iceland Air strike...

Hi Steph

Italian public transport strikes happen occasionally. Usually on a Friday. They had one the day after we left Venice after our Armonia cruise which was the first Friday in April and I know they had one either last week or the week before.

Best to check online. I'll try and find the weblink for you.

Edit: Here it is. http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp and this http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/italy_transport_strikes/

Edited by moomoocow
To add webpage

Thanks AmoMondo! I'll keep checking for them to arrive. Carnival used to send actual paper documents in a little booklet prior to the cruise but now when you do the online check-in that takes care of it and all you need is a single sheet of paper called a fun pass that you print. I didn't know if MSC was the same or if was missing something. 😊

Yes you need your etickets too. They will either be sent to you via your TA if you used a TA or by MSC if you booked direct. Mine usually turn up around 2 weeks before the sailing date.

Sailing Monday and no docs yet...have a feeling it's a TA issue though.

Like other have posted, there are the following scheduled strikes.

May 29, 2014

Rail personnel of Trenitalia, Italo and Trenord, 24 hours starting at 9 p.m. the 28th. O.S. Orsa Union. High-speed trains generally run normally.

May 30, 2014

Meridiana airlines, 24 hours.

EasyJet flight attendants, 24 hours.

General strike of air travel. Called off by government regulators.

Local public transportation, 24 hours, with rush hour exceptions determined locally.

June 11, 2014

ENAV air traffic controllers, 12.30-4.30 p.m.

The official strike webpage from the Italian government is this one:

http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/site.php?p=scioperi

30 maggio 2014

settore AEREO: PERSONALE GRUPPO MERIDIANA ( MERIDIANA FLY, AIR ITALY, GEASAR, MERIDIANA MAINTENANCE )

modalita: 24 ORE

( OO.SS. FILT-CGIL, FIT-CISL, UILTRASPORTI )

settore AEREO: ASSISTENTI DI VOLO SOC. EASYJET

modalita: 24 ORE: DALLE ORE 00.00 ALLE ORE 24.00

( OO.SS. FILT-CGIL, FIT-CISL )( A.P. AVIA )

settore AEREO: PERSONALE SOCC. SEA E SEA HANDLING AEROPORTI DI MILANO LINATE E MALPENSA

modalita: 24 ORE: DALLE ORE 00.00 ALLE ORE 23.59

( O.S. CUB TRASPORTI ) ( O.S. ADL )

settore AEREO: SCIOPERO GENERALE SETTORE TRASPORTO AEREO

modalita: 24 ORE: DALLE ORE 00.00 ALLE ORE 23.59

( O.S. USB LAVORO PRIVATO TRASPORTI ) ( ESCLUSO DALLO SCIOPERO IL PERSONALE DI ENAV SPA )

settore AEREO: PERSONALE SOC. AVIAPARTNER HANDLING AEROPORTI DI MILANO LINATE E MALPENSA

modalita: 4 ORE: DALLE ORE 10.00 ALLE ORE 14.00

( OO.SS. FILT-CGIL, FIT-CISL, UILTRASPORTI, UGL TA ) ( O.S. CUB TRASPORTI )

settore AEREO: PERSONALE GRUPPO ALITALIA-CAI

modalita: 4 ORE: DALLE 12.00 ALLE 16.00

( RSA USB LAVORO PRIVATO )

settore AEREO: LAVORATORI DEL COMPARTO AEREO, AEROPORTUALE ED INDOTTO DEGLI AEROPORTI

modalita: 24 ORE: DALLE 00.01 ALLE 23.59

( CONFEDERAZIONE CUB ) ( ADESIONE OO.SS. CUB TRASPORTI E FLAICA-CUB )

settore TRASPORTO PUBBLICO LOCALE: PERSONALE ADDETTO AL TRASPORTO PUBBLICO LOCALE

modalita: 24 ORE CON MODALITA' TERRITORIALI

( O.S. USB LAVORO PRIVATO )

Sailing Monday and no docs yet...have a feeling it's a TA issue though.

Hi Steph,

Have you completed your web-check in on the MSC Cruises website (https://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Already-Booked/WebCheckin.aspx)? If not, please do that so eDocs can be sent.

Best,

Hi Steph,

Have you completed your web-check in on the MSC Cruises website (https://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Already-Booked/WebCheckin.aspx)? If not, please do that so eDocs can be sent.

Best,

Yes I have and I STILL don't have docs and my TA keeps calling MSC! We leave Monday!! Actually we fly out Saturday!

Yes I have and I STILL don't have docs and my TA keeps calling MSC! We leave Monday!! Actually we fly out Saturday!

And now the MSC rep just hung up on me after insisting for the 5th day in a row that they are sending the docs. Really, really rude. I got her to tell me that I needed to check in by 5pm in Venice. Ship leaves at 6pm; I think she's probably wrong! Ugh

And now the MSC rep just hung up on me after insisting for the 5th day in a row that they are sending the docs. Really, really rude. I got her to tell me that I needed to check in by 5pm in Venice. Ship leaves at 6pm; I think she's probably wrong! Ugh

Why do you think she's wrong? That sounds right to me forMSC, all onboard one hour prior to sailing on embarkation day. Port days it is half an hour before sailing.

Hope you get your tickets sorted out ASAP, though

Edited by AmoMondo

Why do you think she's wrong? That sounds right to me forMSC, all onboard one hour prior to sailing on embarkation day. Port days it is half an hour before sailing.

Hope you get your tickets sorted out ASAP, though

Seemed cutting it close....but finally got them! Check in by 430. Can't wait!

So I was looking at the MSC website today. I signed in to my dashboard and added my booking number. Then there was a link that said "request cruise documents" or something along those lines. I clicked it and the docs were sent to me via email instantly! The best part is that they have changed my cabin from an interior to a porthole! 9 days and counting. 😄