Return to Cruising Post Kids

SelectSys

Cruising has always been a family vacation for me. All of my cruises have been with kids and now I am thinking about cruising as a couples activity. Disney and RCCL served this purpose well, but know I am thinking about other options such as Celebrity as a "line of choice". What other lines should I be considering and why? I don't want anything that is too high end as that would reduce my number of possible trips.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Cruising has always been a family vacation for me. All of my cruises have been with kids and now I am thinking about cruising as a couples activity. Disney and RCCL served this purpose well, but know I am thinking about other options such as Celebrity as a "line of choice". What other lines should I be considering and why? I don't want anything that is too high end as that would reduce my number of possible trips.

I would suggest HAL. It gets a bad rap as being for elderly but there are plenty of young and middle aged passengers who enjoy it. Imo it is comparable to Celebrity and has some great itineraries

You might also want to give NCL a try. No formal nights, no assigned dining. If you can afford a suite the perks are outstanding.

We just went on our first 2 without kids after 10 with over the last 13 years. Our first was in October celebrating our 25th anniversary. We sailed NCL Jewel out of New Orleans for 7 nights. The demographics were mainly couples in theirs late 40's to 60's. Few families were on board. We felt like we fit right in and we had a really enjoyable first cruise post kids. Our second was in March. We sailed Ruby Princess out of FLL for 5 nights. I was a little afraid we might be seeing a bunch of spring breakers due to the timing but that was not the case at all. The demographics on this ship were mainly snow bird couples and retirement home groups in their 60's - 80's. We felt a little out of place to say the least. I think instead of looking just at the cruise line, look also at the ship and where it sailing from and when and how long. I think that might have a bigger impact than the cruise line on the demographics you will find onboard.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I would suggest HAL. It gets a bad rap as being for elderly but there are plenty of young and middle aged passengers who enjoy it. Imo it is comparable to Celebrity and has some great itineraries

You might also want to give NCL a try. No formal nights, no assigned dining. If you can afford a suite the perks are outstanding.

Thanks, I hadn't really given NCL a thought. I will look at their offerings and see where they go.

We just went on our first 2 without kids after 10 with over the last 13 years. Our first was in October celebrating our 25th anniversary. We sailed NCL Jewel out of New Orleans for 7 nights. The demographics were mainly couples in theirs late 40's to 60's. Few families were on board. We felt like we fit right in and we had a really enjoyable first cruise post kids. Our second was in March. We sailed Ruby Princess out of FLL for 5 nights. I was a little afraid we might be seeing a bunch of spring breakers due to the timing but that was not the case at all. The demographics on this ship were mainly snow bird couples and retirement home groups in their 60's - 80's. We felt a little out of place to say the least. I think instead of looking just at the cruise line, look also at the ship and where it sailing from and when and how long. I think that might have a bigger impact than the cruise line on the demographics you will find onboard.

Actually, I don't really care too much about the demographics as I am certain on any ship of size you will find a bit of everything. Also, I am not adverse to having kids around. I just don't need to pay for having a skating rink, climbing wall, water slides, etc at the expense of other things that a line might use that money for. I think that is why Celebrity seems a bit less expensive than RCCL for the same locations.

Thanks for the input!

It even gets better ...

Good to know. I was just thinking different as I have many great memories vacationing with my kids.

Princess and HAL are very much like Celebrity with better itineraries. Oceania is a big step up with even better itineraries.

My first thought was Celebrity as it gives me the same level of privilege that I have on RCCL.

When you say Oceania, do you mean a big step up in price, level of service or both?

Edited by SelectSys

You might also consider Princess but we also like Celebrity.

Celebrity might be the best choice for you because your loyalty program would carry over from RCCL.

While we are Elite on Princess, we don't let that keep us from sailing on other cruise lines as well. Princess and HAL sometimes have better itineraries than Celebrity.

LuLu