window suite vs balcony in Alaska September

alisrockin

We are looking at doing a Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess in September. Thinking about a window suite or balcony. Any thoughts or first hand experience would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I loved my Alaska cruise...soo beautiful.

We booked an outside cabin, not the balcony stateroom when we went.

Although it was too cold to use a balcony on our trip I found myself still wishing we had a balcony.

On the other hand, it did save us a little money.

Enjoy your trip...we loved it!

We are looking at doing a Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess in September. Thinking about a window suite or balcony. Any thoughts or first hand experience would be helpful. Thanks

I leave for a cruise-tour on the 13th I decided on the Balcony. My thinking was if the upper decks get crowded, I can sit on my balcony and enjoy the view and take unobstructed pictures.

We're on a southbound cruise so we booked the port side in order to have land in view the whole way, but from what I read here, the captain actually turns the ship around so everyone gets a look.

FWIW

Edited by BigWI

In September I would choose the window suite - but I happen to be a fan of window suites. Our experience in Alaska in September was cold, rainy, foggy = just not balcony weather.

The Golden has lots of viewing space that is covered one deck up on Promenade, if the weather is good and you want to enjoy the scenery. It is covered, you can easily move inside to warm up, and you can easily cross to viewing on the other side just by walking through the interior. In addition, if you climb the stairs to 8, you can view from the bow.

I think you are in a pretty good location with the window suites. Also, Golden still has her Skywalkers so you have panoramic viewing indoors available.

Just my opinion....enjoy your cruise whatever choices you make!:)

I have done 12 Alaska cruises: inside, outside, balcony and suite.

All are great! You can't go wrong. See if the suite amenities are important to you.

I love the balcony for Alaska scenery. A plus for a balcony: you hear birds and even whales, that you would not hear from inside.

If wildlife is important to you, go with the balcony.

We did B2B Inside Passage cruises (one week to Glacier Bay and the other to Tracy Arm) in September of 2012 in a WS on the Golden. The views in Tracy Arm were spectacular from our two large WS windows. You are also only one flight up to the Promenade deck for great viewing from the covered Promenade deck. We had previously done glacier watching in balcony cabins in Alaska and South America and IMHO the views from the WS were just as good. You do need to leave your cabin to heard the "cannon shot" sound when the glaciers calve though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The window suites are a great deal with the wonderful suite amenities however in Alaska I would go with a balcony. We were lucky on our Sept Alaska cruise on the Sapphire two years ago. We didn't even need a coat when we were in Glacier Bay. We spent all day on our balcony. However just in case I would be sure and get a fully covered balcony.

It all depends. Not in Alaska, but in Mexico this March a couple of whales swam very close up the ship just outside the window of our WS. What a sight!

Wait, what am I saying :eek: Windows Suites are terrible cabins so book those balcony or mini-suite cabins ;). That way there will be a better selection for us :)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

It all depends. Not in Alaska, but in Mexico this March a couple of whales swam very close up the ship just outside the window of our WS. What a sight!

Wait, what am I saying :eek: Windows Suites are terrible cabins so book those balcony or mini-suite cabins ;). That way there will be a better selection for us :)

Thanks for sharing your whale story! Just amazing! I have mentioned earlier that I have actually heard the whales from my balcony. In Snow Pass, they were right under my balcony! It was incredible!

I have also seen Dahl's Porpoises, the black and white ones, from my low window in an outside view cabin.

So, as I have mentioned, you can't go wrong in Alaska :) :) :)

Enjoy!

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

Wait, what am I saying :eek: Windows Suites are terrible cabins so book those balcony or mini-suite cabins ;).

You are correct - Window Suites are just terrible and I cannot understand why anyone would book one (except me), :eek:;)

We had a northbound cruise at the end of August on the Coral. We had a balcony. Couldn't beat it for the views and sounds. Even just opening the door, you may hear calving or wildlife or ???? We got some great videos from our balcony, too, which we wouldn't have been able to get with a window or running up on deck and missing something. LOVED the balcony. Went out first thing in the morning. It was usually chilly and raining for our entire cruise. Didn't care. ;) Enjoy!

We had a northbound cruise at the end of August on the Coral. We had a balcony. Couldn't beat it for the views and sounds. Even just opening the door, you may hear calving or wildlife or ???? We got some great videos from our balcony, too, which we wouldn't have been able to get with a window or running up on deck and missing something. LOVED the balcony. Went out first thing in the morning. It was usually chilly and raining for our entire cruise. Didn't care. ;) Enjoy!

Yes, I definitely agree about the sounds. There is nothing like hearing an eagle's sounds, from your balcony:)

If the price for a balcony was the same or close to an inside, we would take the balcony. Of course, it is usually not even close and more likely twice as much, so for us, after 5 Alaska Inside Passage cruises, we prefer the VALUE of an inside cabin and viewing the sights from the public decks because 1. On the inside passage cruise, from a balcony, you only see half the sights (there is shore on both sides of the ship most of the time), whereas on deck you are free to look and move from either side, 2. you get to hear the narration easily, if any, and 3. if it is raining and your balcony is not covered, there is no where to take cover (as there is on promenade deck). But, it is like deciding to dine in the specialty restaurant, if the quality of the experience is worth the extra cost, go for it. We are content in our little dark "womb" of an inside cabin at night, rarely spend daytime in our room, never order room service, and don't mind being with others on the other decks. Isn't it great to have options?

We're leaving for Alaska on the Grand in 13 days and have Window Suite. Will happily report back once home :) We were torn as well but with a lil one in tow we figured the WS would be our best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Anyone think of booking on the Aft---should be able to see both sides at the same time--doing this 6/7/14-- makes sense to me--oh well, we'll see!

Nancy:D:D

Anyone think of booking on the Aft---should be able to see both sides at the same time--doing this 6/7/14-- makes sense to me--oh well, we'll see!

Nancy:D:D

Yes, the aft balconies are great for seeing Alaska! Wonderful for seeing both sides of Tracy Arm at the same time. Wonderful for Glacier Bay, too.

The aft balconies are sheltered and comfortable. Great choice!