Opinion??

bling19572010

We spent the day with Noel "Steve" Smith (noelsmith66@yahoo.com). We went to river tubing, Dunn's Falls, Scotchies, and shopping. He was just fabulous. We never felt unsafe in any way. He seemed to know people everywhere we went. It was great having a driver all to ourselves. We stopped for lots of interesting photos. The best part was arriving at Dunn's Falls at 2:30pm when all the megabuses were leaving. We had a sectacular day!!!

We just returned from a long weekend land stay. While we were in MoBay and not on a cruise, we never felt unsafe. The people were friendly (extremely) everywhere we went. The locals and tourists alike were socializing and everyone seemed to be having a great time.

Our taxi/shuttle drivers keps saying "don't be scared, plenty safe....we get a bad rap, but we are a fun place to visit". And I couldn't agree with them more! We had an absolute blast!

The only place there seems to be "issues" other than Kingston...which even the locals we met told us to stay away from.....is right at the cruise piers. The vendors know that thousands of people with money to spend are getting off the ships there so they can be a little pushy, but get away from the pier and get into the island a bit and it's wonderful!!! Then people are amazing.

We just returned from visiting Falmouth, and used this company-

http://www.libertytoursjamaica.com

Felt perfectly safe, our belongings were kept secure, our guide Ricardo made us feel like family. Would definately use him again upon our return.

Went to the Blue Hole- amazingly beautiful, Scotchies for the famous jerk chicken-that was incredible. Moist, tender and delicious. Then for some local shopping. Best tour ever!!!

We wouldn't go roaming around there aimlessly alone ... but no problem taking an excursion through the ship or with a well know independent.

LuLu

We wander aimlessly and always have an awesome time. Sometimes that's the most fun days. Wander until you find a great little local restaurant or bar. Make friends with the the people that work there.....great days.

Keep your wits about you, don't go down any dark alleys or too far off the beaten path and you'll be fine. Don't flash a lot of cash or wear a lot of nice jewelry, be smart. Most important thing is to watch the time. We've had some days just fly by and before you know it it's time to reboard the ship!

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

My husband and I went on a tour to Blue Hole from Falmouth with "jamaicaphil" and it was wonderful. Phil LaFayette met us and took us directly to a van where we and two other couples left for a fun and relaxing day.

We talked all the way to the Blue Hole and learned so much about the island. Had our adventure aspect by jumping into the water from different points and then sunbathed a short time at a beach and then ate Jerk Chicken/Pork as a group.

We couldn't have enjoyed the day more, and we never felt the least bit nervous. Having a plan confirmed before arriving at port is absolutely the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I would take an excursion or take a well investigated tour.

In the streets and on public beaches, people will come up to you to try to sell you "handmade items" or drugs (Ganja or other drugs) Many do not take the kindly, "No Thank You," or "Respect Mon" It can be intimidating.

Not one of my favorite ports. I get that people have to make a living, but every other place I have visited, the vendors will stop harassing people when you politely decline. Not this place.

Edited by momof4boys