Solo on MSC

bobbisailsolo

Has anyone done a solo on MSC? Looking to hear about your experience... And wondering about single supplements. I found a really great North Cape cruise for next summer. Rates aren't even published for stateside yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you visited the MSC forum? There are lots of solo cruisers there and the MSC solo fare structure ( and changes to it) are quite widely discussed. To précis, here in the UK, they have gone from welcoming solos with open arms (e.g. no supplement whatsoever on many cruises) to, recently, not offering sole occupancy at all, even at 100% supplement.

Edited by canny_cruiser

16 of my 19 sailings with MSC have been as a solo. I find their prices excellent for solos. Unfortunately they no longer offer the no single supplement on repositioning trips and for a short period a few months ago, seemed to be not accepting bookings at all on certain cruises. They have now changed that position and are charging 50% on most sailings. On less popular cruises, you may be able to negotiate a lower supplement if you call them.

Is there anything in particular you want to know about the solo experience with them?

AMOMONDO, I'm 60. Are there others my age or is it primarily middle aged couples. Being it a 2 week cruise to Norway, I wouldn't expect lots of young couples or a party atmosphere? I like to sit in a lounge and watch the scenery, maybe finding someone to chitchat with. Not a lot of noise or children running around. And, I don't want to dress up. Not even on formal nite. Are there quiet places to sit and read when the weather is cool? Or will the ship have lots of commotion where I might have to get up at 6 am to to get a seat outside or a table at the buffet. Are the other solo travelers and events for them to meet and get together? Is there nice music in the evening? Where I can relax with a drink? Just that type of thing..

AMOMONDO, I'm 60. Are there others my age or is it primarily middle aged couples. Being it a 2 week cruise to Norway, I wouldn't expect lots of young couples or a party atmosphere? I like to sit in a lounge and watch the scenery, maybe finding someone to chitchat with. Not a lot of noise or children running around. And, I don't want to dress up. Not even on formal nite. Are there quiet places to sit and read when the weather is cool? Or will the ship have lots of commotion where I might have to get up at 6 am to to get a seat outside or a table at the buffet. Are the other solo travelers and events for them to meet and get together? Is there nice music in the evening? Where I can relax with a drink? Just that type of thing..

MSC has a very mixed age group and yes there are often younger couples onboard some of whom have kids. Depends on whether your cruise dates are during European school holidays or not. Height of school holiday period then there will be lots of kids as they get to sail for free when travelling with 2 adults. Rest of the time it isn't really an issue. There also tends to be more kids on the newer bigger ships than the smaller older ones.

I tend not to eat in buffets, just not a fan of them anywhere. I eat most of my meals in the MDR and always get a seat. I never get up at 6am! The loungers by the pool can get booked quick, but you can always get one somewhere else. Many of the ships have nice little back decks that are very peaceful. Deck above the pool towards the rear can also be quiet. Disco is a great place during the day for peace and quiet to read with great panoramic reviews if the wether is not so great.

You do get some solos on MSC ships as they have in the past charged very little in the way of supplement, even none at all on repos. Standard in the UK now seems to be 50% across the board. That may reduce some solos.

Cruises on MSC particularly in Europe may have more people dressing up for dinner particularly on gala evenings (2 per week). Very few go the whole hog of DJs/long gowns but a lot to still dress up. Others evenings most dress a bit more casual. The buffet is an alternative for those not wishing to dress up. I forever dinner in the MDR at a big table as it gives me companions every evening to chat to, whereas at the buffet, it's a quick dash in and out on your own.

Lots of live music in the evenings and all sorts really. I tend to prefer the martini piano bars or atrium bars where they will typically have a pianist alternating with a classical trio or quartet. Their musicians are mainly Eastern European but very talented. Being Italian, they love their opera too and will usually have a tenor and soprano or mezzo soprano on every cruise. They will feature in one of the evening shows accompanied by the classical musicians. The. Jagger ships will also have a jazz bar and a lot more types of music than the smaller ones. Either way, I like to chill out with a drink before or after dinner and listen to music and can always find a bar that suits my tastes.

They don't really do organised events for solos very often. Too many nationalities and languages onboard

I did a Med cruise in 2012 (not solo) on MSC Orchestra. It was the prettiest ship I've ever seen. However, the "English liaison" told us there were only 18 people on board who listed English as their first language. We had a great time, met great people, enjoyed the lounges, etc., but I would have felt very uncomfortable as a solo or as someone not familiar with Italian etiquette. I don't consider it a budget cruiseline and the ship was amazing. but unless you want to deal with lots of miscommunication, you may want to look elsewhere.