Reluctance to join "Roll Call" Postings

Fairfield Nana

Count me among the posters who are shy about roll calls.

We meet very nice people on cruises without joining a Roll Call.

The tone in this thread is similar to that of the Celebrity board.

The Boynton's cruise photos peaked my interest in exploring this forum.

We're planning an Oceania cruise and expect cruisers are interesting and friendly.

-Marisa

Marisa,

I must say that the fellow cruisers on our 1st O cruise were probably some of the most interesting and friendly that we have had in all of our 35 cruises. I think you thoroughly enjoy the experience.

I've been on 11 or 12 ocean cruises, most of them Oceania, and have never been asked if I wanted to join a cabin crawl, slot pull or anything other than a meet and greet. However, if people want to participate in that stuff, they will; if not, there's nobody forcing them to (I don't think, anyway!!) If someone wants to crawl over to my (usually) inside cabin, they're welcome - but somehow I can't see that it would be something exciting!

I simply join the Roll Call to find out a little bit about who's on my cruise (or at least a very small percentage of who's on my cruise!) and get an idea of what people are planning in case I DO want to join in. Mostly I think the Roll Calls are small because a large number of people have no idea they, or Cruise Critic, exist. We have a grand total of maybe 12 people signed up for our European cruise in August, but hey, even if we don't even have a meet and greet, it's no big deal to sign in, say hello, and see what transpires, so that's exactly what I did. I can't say I really join to meet new people, as I'm not all that social (although I DO yak on Cruise Critic a lot!), but if I want to meet people there are certainly other ways to do that on a cruise ship! I must say that the vast majority of the people I have met through Roll Calls have been great, so fear of meeting people I don't like or fear of being forced into joining a slot pull (whatever that is) has never entered my mind, so I will continue to sign up for them.

Edited by roothy123

This has been a fun post and I've really enjoyed reading the comments and opinions. It's nice to see a few folks willing to post or join a "grip & grin" session onboard their respective cruises. I really value the commentary on Cruise Critic, and have gotten some great advice as well as some super entertainment. Even if I only get to know a small handful of wonderful folks prior to or during a cruise, I'm a lucky fella! Thanks to all who post herein.

This has been a fun post and I've really enjoyed reading the comments and opinions. It's nice to see a few folks willing to post or join a "grip & grin" session onboard their respective cruises. I really value the commentary on Cruise Critic, and have gotten some great advice as well as some super entertainment. Even if I only get to know a small handful of wonderful folks prior to or during a cruise, I'm a lucky fella! Thanks to all who post herein.

Well put Nana....our sentiments exactly

I've been on 11 or 12 ocean cruises, most of them Oceania, and have never been asked if I wanted to join a cabin crawl, slot pull or anything other than a meet and greet. However, if people want to participate in that stuff, they will; if not, there's nobody forcing them to (I don't think, anyway!!) If someone wants to crawl over to my (usually) inside cabin, they're welcome - but somehow I can't see that it would be something exciting!

I simply join the Roll Call to find out a little bit about who's on my cruise (or at least a very small percentage of who's on my cruise!) and get an idea of what people are planning in case I DO want to join in. Mostly I think the Roll Calls are small because a large number of people have no idea they, or Cruise Critic, exist. We have a grand total of maybe 12 people signed up for our European cruise in August, but hey, even if we don't even have a meet and greet, it's no big deal to sign in, say hello, and see what transpires, so that's exactly what I did. I can't say I really join to meet new people, as I'm not all that social (although I DO yak on Cruise Critic a lot!), but if I want to meet people there are certainly other ways to do that on a cruise ship! I must say that the vast majority of the people I have met through Roll Calls have been great, so fear of meeting people I don't like or fear of being forced into joining a slot pull (whatever that is) has never entered my mind, so I will continue to sign up for them.

My experience is identical to yours. Oceania roll calls are never about cabin crawls and slot pulls. Mostly we arrange private tours (and I am usually the arranger) and set up a M & G. Occasionally we form a knitting group, a trivia team or bridge or canasta groups. We often share port or hotel information or arrange shared transportation to or from a port. Sonetimes we set up a dinner in town pre cruise when folks are arriving are few days early. On my upcoming cruise to Iceland and Greenland, 6 of us have a private tour of Downton Abbey (Highclere Castle) and transportation to the port pre cruise. That could never have been arranged without the roll call.

I have made so many great friends as the result of roll calls and I cannot imagine not being part of one for an O cruise. In fact, one of the reasons I love O is that most roll calls are very active because folks want to arrange private tours. On Azamara, eg., where folks book the less expensive ship tours, roll calls are far less active.

Apart from the folks I meet on the roll call, I meet many other people on the ship. If CC gave me only one choice -- general boards or the roll calls -- I would choose the roll calls.

I think I will throw in my two cents on this thread. Like Laraine I join roll calls for information and have also arranged MG and tours with others over the past 10 years I have sailed with Oceania. I have been inactive with the roll calls for the past few cruises because we arranged private tours in Brazil and will be doing the same in Israel since we are leaving Friday to explore the Holy City, Cappadocia and Turkey 10 days before joining the Insignia. I have learned that a private tour for just us is the way to go. Way more expensive but to us worth the money. That way, we request sites that others may not enjoy and there is no rush. We prefer to set our own pace. My knitting onboard always attracts wonderful people and others will join me in Horizons with their needlework, beading, etc. Often, we will join another couple to go into town or meet for lunch if the Port is a "do it your own". I attempted to put together a MG a year ago for this sailing but no one appeared to be interested and as Laraine can attest to it is a lot of work especially when I am able to have it hosted by O (yes it has been done several times). I have met wonderful people who I still am in contact with today but The Historic Holy Land roll call has not been that active.

And I would never have met my good friend Maria aka aknitter had it not been for roll calls

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cant argue with that. :). Ditto plus many others.