POA - to book or not to book

jmc27

Hi guys looking for some advice. We are keen to cruise around Hawaii next Easter - school holidays so must be the Easter weekend cruise. We are UK based and the price at the moment for an aft cabin, cruise only is £1339 which is the most we will have paid for a week long cruise. Is this average, should we book to get the cabin we want, should we wait….I spoke with NCL direct and asked what happens if the price drops and the answer seemed to be that they would try and upgrade cabin but that wasn't guaranteed. So should we or shouldn't we? Ay advice gratefully received.:)

Not sure about the price, but I can tell you that we booked really early and the price never did come down. Hawaii was also our most expensive cruise as far a cruise fare goes, but it was beautiful.

I don't know what your fare equates to in $, but I can tell you we booked about 19 months out for our August POA cruise and although there have been various sales, the price has NEVER dropped below what we paid. The most we have paid for a cruise, except for Alaska which is also expensive. The POA is high demand and you are never going to see fire sale prices like you do on some Caribbean cruises in the off season.

I have been watching the prices on POA cruises coming up in the next few weeks, and it looks like some cabins are being discounted close to sail date. You can take a look at the website for upcoming close date cruises to see prices and what cabins are being discounted. I am hoping we might be able to find a great upgrade deal to a suite, you never know.

I'd just book the cabin wanted as soon as possible and then watch for sales, chances to upgrade with price drops, etc. You can always cancel and rebook, at least you can here.

Edited by punkincc

Hi guys looking for some advice. We are keen to cruise around Hawaii next Easter - school holidays so must be the Easter weekend cruise. We are UK based and the price at the moment for an aft cabin, cruise only is £1339 which is the most we will have paid for a week long cruise. Is this average, should we book to get the cabin we want, should we wait….I spoke with NCL direct and asked what happens if the price drops and the answer seemed to be that they would try and upgrade cabin but that wasn't guaranteed. So should we or shouldn't we? Ay advice gratefully received.:)

They should price match up to the final payment date IF the price drops. after that you might be able to talk them into a upgrade or OBC. I'm booked on POA cruise tour (includes 3 days hotel stay) next July and that's costing me $4400 for a studio!

I booked our POA cruise 9 months out. Prices dropped by $50 prior to final payment date and I was able to get a refund. Prices did not drop again until after final payment date. Prices have dropped significantly after final payment date, and we have been given several upgrades due to this.

If you didn't have a set time you had to sail, I'd say go ahead and wait. But since you have a set time, you should probably just book it. I've heard that this cruise often sells out and price drops are rare. Our date must be more of an exception.

Edited to add: yes, it's normal for this particular cruise to be more expensive than a lot of other cruises we might be used to.

Edited by no1racefan1

Not a lot of price movement on Hawaii cruises. If you have a cabin you want to be and you're happy with the price, in I would leap.

Our Hawaiian cruise remains my favorite to date. Fantastic!

WE recently received an email offer from NCL :

Norwegian Hawaii Package – Pride of America 7 nights

Package Includes: balcony cabin, airfare from Pittsburgh,

2 nights at the Marriot Waikiki Beach Resort, & all transfers

Package Cost: $2949.00

Taxes: $209.88

Final Price (per person): $3158.88

Understand, we will have no control over the flights and

the balcony is "guaranteed".

Any opinions?

Edited by $hip$hape

For the OP: The POA is the only cruise ship that's based in Hawaii, and gives you the most time in the islands. For that reason it is always very popular, and NCL has little reason to put the ship on sale. NCL is fairly good about refunds or upgrades if the prices do drop, though. But don't expect it.

Since you're looking to cruise on a very specific date, I'd go ahead and book now.

We are booked for POA for Easter 2015. We booked under one of their sales (don't remember which one...), but honestly I haven't seen the price change. It's a popular time, so on top of it being a popular cruise, you're paying a premium. Plus we need lengthy flights, which also means we need to book more than 90 days before sailing :). However, you could get price drops until final booking. I've never been in the situation where my cabin category has been lower after final payment...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We booked about a year and half out and the price only increased until about 3 months ago. They put the ship on sale for military and we were able to get a refund of $509.00 per cabin plus $100.00 on board credit. Lucky for us this happened about 3 days before final payment was due. We had already made the final payment but since the deadline hadn't passed we were able to cash in.

This ship is more expensive because it never leaves U.S waters and the crew has to have all the Coast Guard certifications.

So excited we sail in 11 days!

We are from Aust and we have booked POA for Sept 2014 in a balcony cabin. We booked with a US online agency and got what I think is a fairly good price $1948.00 plus taxes per person for a BD balcony on deck 9

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went last june. Booked the day bookings came available and payed around $1600 pp in an oceanview. After final payment... prices dropped and I was able to upgrade to balcony for an additional $150pp. No guarantees tho!

Any opinions?

I don't know that I would do that...

I see balcony guarantees going from $1300 - $2300 pp. If you split the difference ($1800) and estimate airfare at $900 each you come out around $5400 total.

Almost $1000 left over to play with hotel and transfers and excursions, and you have control over your flights.

Edited by Cubechick

Any opinions?

In my opinion, this might work if you want the convenience of one-stop shopping. Otherwise, you can probably do better on the pricing. As mentioned, you get full control over your flights. You can choose your hotel - the Marriott is fine, but a little pricey - even then you might get it for less if you book on your own. Transfers tend to be overpriced in general.

We are on POA in July and booked everything separately. Even the cruise was reduced relative to NCL through an online agency. Your choice.

Any opinions?

I don't know that I would do that...

I see balcony guarantees going from $1300 - $2300 pp. If you split the difference ($1800) and estimate airfare at $900 each you come out around $5400 total.

Almost $1000 left over to play with hotel and transfers and excursions, and you have control over your flights.

Thanks for the numbers and your input.

Actually, the guaranteed balcony for Jan.31,2015 is listed at $1999.

However, I'm going to press NCL for more information on "the Amazing Savings".

In my opinion, this might work if you want the convenience of one-stop shopping. Otherwise, you can probably do better on the pricing. As mentioned, you get full control over your flights. You can choose your hotel - the Marriott is fine, but a little pricey - even then you might get it for less if you book on your own. Transfers tend to be overpriced in general.

We are on POA in July and booked everything separately. Even the cruise was reduced relative to NCL through an online agency. Your choice.

One-Stop Shopping.That's my point. If only I could trust that the flights/seats and cabin would be acceptable.

But it is nice to have control over the flights so I may be better off booking everything independently.

Hi guys - took the advice and booked, aft cabin here we come! I have read lots of info here about price drops but it does seem that UK customers don't get the same treatment as US although I will watch and see what happens. Happy sailing everyone.

Hi guys - took the advice and booked, aft cabin here we come! I have read lots of info here about price drops but it does seem that UK customers don't get the same treatment as US although I will watch and see what happens. Happy sailing everyone.

You'll love it! The aft balconies are huge and the view great!

One-Stop Shopping.That's my point. If only I could trust that the flights/seats and cabin would be acceptable.

But it is nice to have control over the flights so I may be better off booking everything independently.

Did not mention in my first comments, but you can try the Custom Air Option (don't recall for sure if that's what NCL calls it - if not, something similar). For about $50 extra per person they let you request parameters for your air. Last time I checked, you could not ask for specific flights, just what you like (times, non-stop, etc.) Then they tell you what the offering is and it's take it or leave it. Check with your TA or NCL as to exactly what your options are. Of course, they also decide how much the fare is - and may be a lot more than the standard fare quote where they choose the flights.

POA, is what I consider an excellent itinerary. You do not see much movement in price and rates have pretty much increased every year. I have been on these sailings about yearly and greatly enjoy them every trip. Bonus is, Hawaii is cheap to pack with touring with a rental car. Offers you a full day. :}

Guess what? Price dropped and NCL PCC I booked with says to contact customer services as there is nothing she can do! :mad:Have contacted the email address she gave me but not holding out much hope - the difference is the same as my deposit so it's not worth cancelling as I would lose deposit. Not a great start to my relationship with PCC but will try not to worry about it - we will do the cruise and enjoy every bit of it1

On another point - we are looking to book flights from UK - any advice on best airline to try?

For the OP: The POA is the only cruise ship that's based in Hawaii, and gives you the most time in the islands. For that reason it is always very popular, and NCL has little reason to put the ship on sale. NCL is fairly good about refunds or upgrades if the prices do drop, though. But don't expect it.

Since you're looking to cruise on a very specific date, I'd go ahead and book now.

The countdown is on. How exciting to look forward to Hawaii. The sun, sand and ocean breeze. Can't wait.

Happy Sailing Everyone.

Catherine