European Cruise-where do I start?

Big 60 Bday coming up. Thought of a few ideas and nothing is jumping out at me. After 12 cruises and most if not all carribean and Hawiaan ports I need something differant.

Where do I start figure out what itinerary? The thought of the mediterean entices me. Greece and the old history a lot also.

Suggestions, experiences?

I have done maybe five or so Mediterannean cruises and they are great! I would first narrow down which ports appeal to you most, and then find a cruise that visits them. If you can spare the time, spend a few days before and after the cruise in the city you embark from and then the city you end the cruise in. Also if you can spare the time, take a longer cruise such as 12 to 14 days. We did a Med. cruise last year that started off in wonderful Barcelona and ended in Venice.

When looking at various cruises, I would not not limit yourself to one cruise line, Europe is more about the ports. We really love most of the ports for different reasons, so only you can decide what interests you. If you are not tied into a particular schedule, I would suggest taking a Med. cruise in April, May, September or October to avoid the extreme heat and crowds.

Also, make sure you pay attention to the amount of time the ship is in port...you need a full day stop for most of these ports. I read on the Europe boards recently of someone who booked a cruise and the stops in some of the ports were only five hours or so, not enough time to really see some of the fantastic sights.

Planning is half of the fun! The Europe Boards have some very helpful folks too!

I have done maybe five or so Mediterannean cruises and they are great! I would first narrow down which ports appeal to you most, and then find a cruise that visits them. If you can spare the time, spend a few days before and after the cruise in the city you embark from and then the city you end the cruise in. Also if you can spare the time, take a longer cruise such as 12 to 14 days. We did a Med. cruise last year that started off in wonderful Barcelona and ended in Venice.

When looking at various cruises, I would not not limit yourself to one cruise line, Europe is more about the ports. We really love most of the ports for different reasons, so only you can decide what interests you. If you are not tied into a particular schedule, I would suggest taking a Med. cruise in April, May, September or October to avoid the extreme heat and crowds.

Also, make sure you pay attention to the amount of time the ship is in port...you need a full day stop for most of these ports. I read on the Europe boards recently of someone who booked a cruise and the stops in some of the ports were only five hours or so, not enough time to really see some of the fantastic sights.

Planning is half of the fun! The Europe Boards have some very helpful folks too!

Library of Celsus by chance? :D

European cruises are great! I agree with the above posters. Europe is more about the ports and spending as much time on land as you can. Take a longer cruise, if possible. I would recommend 7 nights as a minimum. Once you travel that distance, you'll want to spend a decent amount of time there before returning home. As far as Greece goes, we've been to Corfu and Santorini. Although different from one another, they were both beautiful.

Looking at the RC website, there are some nice cruises that include many Greek ports:

- 7-night Greek Isles embarking from Venice

- 8-10-night Greek Isles embarking from Rome (Civitavecchia)

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise and time in the Mediterranean.

Don't know what year you are looking at but I just booked this cruise. What a great price and ports of call.

I too am bored with the Caribbean, even though I wouldn't mind a Panama Canal cruise again.

Go for it - I think every European port requires much more planning, but that is the fun part of a cruise. :D

I totally agree with everything the above posters said. It's all about the ports! On these itineraries you aren't on the ship as much as a caribbean cruise. We did western and eastern Mediteranean and both were wonderful. We loved the ship for the western but didn't enjoy the ship as much on the eastern but we really didn't care because you are off the ship for so long and almost everyday. I will say though Santorini is now our favorite spot we have been. Good luck choosing but Europe is definitely the best choice!

This is REALLY good advice.

My first thought is airfares to Europe are very expensive. Sailing for 10-12 days seems expensive but add in your airfare and the price per day looks a lot better. Maybe a 14 day B2B, but 7 days is just too short.

I would recommend an Italy centric cruise for your first time. Be prepared for a long excursion day. Almost all Med excursions run 8-10 hours. You will see lot and walk a lot. There are many cruises that do Italy and Greece so you can get the best of both worlds. As far as RCI goes, Barcelona is probably easiest port to get in and out of, Rome requires an hour of travel from the airport. Also I would recommend you arrive the day before your cruise and get to see your port city. We have never traveled to the Med during peak season, but late September, early October, the weather is perfect, and it is a lot less crowded on excursions. The cruises and flights are much less expensive in September-October.

Your biggest challenge may be a cruise that contains at least one non-EU port. If all your stops are at EU ports you will be charged VAT of 14-20% for all of your on board purchases. Your best bet would be to pay almost everything tax free before you board; excursions and a drink package.

Our favorites, Venice, Florence, Rome, Santorini, Barcelona, Tuscany. Athens and Turkey were OK. Duds IMHO, Pisa, Sicily, Naples, Capri.

Enjoy your future cruise.

I would start by determining which port you want to spend the most time in, then make sure the itinerary departs or ends (or both) there. Then you can spend extra time in your most desired location.

We've done R/T Rome with extra days before (we're still clicking our heels saying, "there's no place like Rome, there's no place like Rome."), R/T Barcelona, which we also loved, with time before and after the cruise, and Venice to Barcelona. I loved Venice, my husband wasn't as impressed.

Once you've determined that, it should be a little easier to narrow down your options.

Edited by srlafleur

The previous posts have all given excellent advice. Look at all the cruise lines and select an itinerary that appeals to you. With airfare being so costly, I agree that a 7 day just doesn't cut it. The port days are long and you will be on the go from very early in the morning until 5-7pm.

We selected a 12 day departing from Barcelona due to the close proximity of the airport to the pier.

In our case, we flew in one day prior and toured Barcelona all day after flying overnite from NYC. We had a private tour arranged ( Barcelona Day Tours) meet us at the airport and we headed out as soon as we exited the airport.

It is very important to stay awake as long as possible to get your body clock adjusted to the new time zone.

While we would have loved to have flown into Rome, we decided to go the easy route and avoid the lengthy travel from Rome to Civitavecchia port which is at least an hour from the airport.

Barcelona port is hands down the easiest embarkation we have ever experienced. The port is modern, clean and efficiently run.

Please keep in mind that Med cruises require a lot of research and I happily read, read and read some more from the CC boards as well as Rick Steve's Guides and Lonely Planet.

We also selected Sept as our sail date due to the numerous posts warning of the intense summer heat in the Med. We are so glad that we heeded that advice because the last thing we wanted was to be worn out from crowds and humidity.

If there was one regret, it would be that our trip was 13 days total. Unfortunately, I was pushing the envelope being away for even that amount of time,. Take as much time as you can possibly manage and live it up.

Additionally, once you have selected your cruise, make sure you sign up for the roll call and join others from your sailing on private tours. They are far better and less costly than ship sponsored excursions.

Our itinerary was Barcelona, Rome, Naples, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Ephesus and Malta.

It was on Celebrity Equinox , not RCI.,

It was hands down the very best vacation we have had and hope to repeat it in 2016.

Any questions, ask away.

Edited by celebrity

The previous posts have all given excellent advice. Look at all the cruise lines and select an itinerary that appeals to you. With airfare being so costly, I agree that a 7 day just doesn't cut it. The port days are long and you will be on the go from very early in the morning until 5-7pm.

We selected a 12 day departing from Barcelona due to the close proximity of the airport to the pier.

In our case, we flew in one day prior and toured Barcelona all day after flying overnite from NYC. We had a private tour arranged ( Barcelona Day Tours) meet us at the airport and we headed out as soon as we exited the airport.

It is very important to stay awake as long as possible to get your body clock adjusted to the new time zone.

While we would have loved to have flown into Rome, we decided to go the easy route and avoid the lengthy travel from Rome to Civitavecchia port which is at least an hour from the airport.

Barcelona port is hands down the easiest embarkation we have ever experienced. The port is modern, clean and efficiently run.

Please keep in mind that Med cruises require a lot of research and I happily read, read and read some more from the CC boards as well as Rick Steve's Guides and Lonely Planet.

We also selected Sept as our sail date due to the numerous posts warning of the intense summer heat in the Med. We are so glad that we heeded that advice because the last thing we wanted was to be worn out from crowds and humidity.

If there was one regret, it would be that our trip was 13 days total. Unfortunately, I was pushing the envelope being away for even that amount of time,. Take as much time as you can possibly manage and live it up.

Additionally, once you have selected your cruise, make sure you sign up for the roll call and join others from your sailing on private tours. They are far better and less costly than ship sponsored excursions.

Our itinerary was Barcelona, Rome, Naples, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Ephesusus and Malta.

It was on Celebrity Equinox , not RCI.,

It was hands down the very best vacation we have had and hope to repeat it in 2016.

Any questions, ask away.

Library of Celsus by chance? :D

yes..!! Love Ephesus and Kusadisi is such a great stop...we have been To Ephesus at least four or five times, and the Terrace Houses three times, and the whole experience never fails to amaze me!!

The Med. Cruise we did last summer was with extended family including two children ages 5 and 8. I wasn't sure about them doing ruins, and the temperatures that day were definitely in the high 90's...but Ephesus and our wonderful private tour was one of the highlights of our cruise!!

OP, if you like ruins, chose an itinerary that includes Kusadisi, Turkey!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

yes..!! Love Ephesus and Kusadisi is such a great stop...we have been To Ephesus at least four or five times, and the Terrace Houses three times, and the whole experience never fails to amaze me!!

The Med. Cruise we did last summer was with extended family including two children ages 5 and 8. I wasn't sure about them doing ruins, and the temperatures that day were definitely in the high 90's...but Ephesus and our wonderful private tour was one of the highlights of our cruise!!

Agreed! I think Turkey was my biggest surprise. Loved Ephesus, the Terrace Houses and our private tour. We also went to Mary's House and St John's Basilica. I must return!

Edited by celebrity

We'll be going on the Splendour of the Seas in September to Epheses. Can you tell me which private tour operator you used? Thanks!

We'll be going on the Splendour of the Seas in September to Epheses. Can you tell me which private tour operator you used? Thanks!

Although this question wasn't directed to me, I would recommend you go to the Ports Of Call forum and read up on the various private tour companies and the reviews. In our case, we used Ephesus Shuttle. It is common practice for many tour companies to bring you to a rug factory demonstration even though you aren't interested. We were adamant that we wanted no part of it and they honored their promise. If I am lucky enough to return, I will certainly use their services again.

The Western Med is great, but my preference is definitely the Eastern Med. We have sailed this route several times and never tire of it....

The main highlights - the sailaway from Venice, which must be one of the most wonderful places to depart from in the world..... Athens (best in low season as it gets very busy and extremely hot in summer)........ Ephesus (Turkey) for the history - it really is a wonder of the world (just refuse to go to the rug factory if you don't want to go. You can easily say No and just walk back to the ship at your leisure)......... and Santorini for breathtaking beauty and good food. If you can stay there for sunset, all the better!

You will go home with wonderful memories, whichever itinerary you do.

Although this question wasn't directed to me, I would recommend you go to the Ports Of Call forum and read up on the various private tour companies and the reviews. In our case, we used Ephesus Shuttle. It is common practice for many tour companies to bring you to a rug factory demonstration even though you aren't interested. We were adamant that we wanted no part of it and they honored their promise. If I am lucky enough to return, I will certainly use their services again.

Thanks so much.....we're just beginning to plan our excursions and need all the help we can get!

Hi Kat,

We used Ephesus Deluxe...actually we have used this company twice and would highly recommend them. The price is roughly half of the cruise ship excursion and both times the guide was wonderful!

Whatever you do, take a tour that includes the Terrace Houses. These are the most recently excavated homes of wealthy citizens of Ephesus and you will see mosaics and walls with original pairings, thousands of years old.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Insight Guides publishes a book called " Mediterranean Cruises" which you can generally find at your local library. it has a wealth of info on ports. We took a 12 day cruise out of Rome on Carnival. It was the same price as a 7 day cruise on RCCL. More ports, less money. Venice has to be on any bucket list.

I agree that the Eastern Med cruises are fabulous. Sailing out of Venice is wonderful and Ephesus is somewhere I will never tire of - amazing. Also agree that Barcelona is a fabulous City and a great port.

If you can add in Istanbul or Dubrovnik they are both fabulous cities. Kotor in Montengero is a joy too.

Oh must book another Eastern Med cruise soon.

Enjoy

Pat

Rick Steves also has a book Guide to Mediterranean Cruise Ports. It was my bible for my cruise.

I cannot emphasize enough to research all the ports you will be visiting so you can maximize the experience. In my household, I am the "planner" and my DH told me last night that our Med cruise was so magical because of all the homework I did before we sailed. I literally spent 14 months reading anything I could get my hands on, viewing YouTube videos and posting questions on CC so we would have the best possible experience.

It was time well spent because it was hands down the trip of a lifetime. 😃

Lots of great info here, we are setting sail for our first Med cruise on Sept 12, 16 nights Southampton to Rome and back with lots of stops in between. We are getting very excited, time to start planning excursions!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Big 60 Bday coming up. Thought of a few ideas and nothing is jumping out at me. After 12 cruises and most if not all carribean and Hawiaan ports I need something differant.

Where do I start figure out what itinerary? The thought of the mediterean entices me. Greece and the old history a lot also.

Suggestions, experiences?

We did a 12 night Med greek isles cruise last October. One of the best cruises ever on Serenade. We had an active roll call and hooked up with many before and during the cruise for private excursions. It was very port intensive. AA has a direct flight to Barcelona from Miami (I see you live in Florida). you must get a balcony.

It was a busy year, we also did an 11 night British Isles in August on Celebrity. Also one of the best I enjoyed. Excursions through the Scotland highlands were beautiful. Loved that everyone spoke English, lots of singing Irish and Scotish songs on the buses. the crusie also was great as we had an aqua suite. Celebrity does things right. Food always delicious. downside, getting to Harwich isn't all that easy. Had an awesome 5 day pre cruise in London though.

Lastly, if you don't have two weeks to spare, do an Alaska cruise in July on the Radiance. Alaska cruises are expensive and you must get a balcony even though most evenings will be chilly. Wrap yourself up. We saw more whales off the balcony then I expected. Excursions are also expensive (we only do private ones) but you'll see things you would never see otherwise. Our bear excursion in Anan Creek was once in a lifetime.

Those are our three favorites. We enjoyed Santorini so much last year, we are going back this October and bring other family members.