Leave balcony door open on getaway ?

Katniss23

Is it possible to leave the balcony door open ? It would be great to enjoy the sounds of the waives but I head that newer ships are equipped with an alarm that sounds if the door is left open for too long.

I regularly left the balcony door open on Breakaway and there was no alarm. However, I HIGHLY recommend closing it before you open the door to the hallway, unless you want all your belongings to blow out your stateroom door!

I think on Breakaway and Getaway, the sensors merely turn off the cabin air conditioning temporarily. It *is* a great way to enjoy the sounds of the waves. I loved it... especially since my cabin was set up with the bed near the balcony.

I regularly left the balcony door open on Breakaway and there was no alarm. However, I HIGHLY recommend closing it before you open the door to the hallway, unless you want all your belongings to blow out your stateroom door!

I think on Breakaway and Getaway, the sensors merely turn off the cabin air conditioning temporarily. It *is* a great way to enjoy the sounds of the waves. I loved it... especially since my cabin was set up with the bed near the balcony.

Yep. All of the above. The balcony doors on the away class seemed heavier than say Epic with a final feeling that it lifts the door a bit when locked. Just be wary if you are in port next day and are a late/sound sleeper.. :D

A cautionary tale from another thread.

Someone on a Baltic cruise a few cabins down from us left their balcony door open with left over room service inside. Their cabin was invaded by seagulls.

It took hours and hours to get rid of them and they left the biggest mess.

Do not leave balcony doors open!

LuLu

:eek:

Yep. All of the above. The balcony doors on the away class seemed heavier than say Epic with a final feeling that it lifts the door a bit when locked. Just be wary if you are in port next day and are a late/sound sleeper.. :D

Also you need to actually engage the lock after you close it in order for the AC to turn back on...

Yep..did that :o ... tornado alley ... impressive amount of wind rushing in :eek:

In addition, NCL asks that you do not leave them open as it negatively affects the whole AC and heating for that block of rooms. That is the sole reason they began putting interlocks on the balcony doors to shut down the AC and heating. If you ever walk down a passageway you've probably heard the whistling coming from under the doors of the rooms with open balcony doors.

In addition, NCL asks that you do not leave them open as it negatively affects the whole AC and heating for that block of rooms. That is the sole reason they began putting interlocks on the balcony doors to shut down the AC and heating. If you ever walk down a passageway you've probably heard the whistling coming from under the doors of the rooms with open balcony doors.

We actually had a cooling issue on Epic and it was determined that a neighbor leaving their door open was at least partially to blame. Not sure if it's because a section of the AC shuts down, or just overall efficiency of the AC is compromised in an area due to wind coming in.

Maybe folks that want the "ocean sound" experience should get an aft on BA or GA and sleep on the balcony lounger. :)

Edited by sdmike