Booked last minute

So I've seen posts asking how late you can book. Today I booked DW and I on the Sensation leaving Thursday.

It's a Carnival Live cruise featuring Foreigner in concert. Couldn't resist an inexpensive rate for an OV guarantee cabin. Heck, the taxes and port fees were almost as much as the cruise. Think it might be cheaper than staying home for the weekend and going out to eat a couple of times!

Anyway, had a slow week on the calendar so thought we'd give it a go. I know there hasn't been a lot of feedback yet on the concerts so will give our impressions after.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If this were just a little later in May, I would have jumped on it. I'm only 29, so besides "I Wanna Know What Love Is", Foreigner is a bit before my time but I'd still go for that low a price. Also, this post makes me feel a bit better about the cruise I'm planning to be on in about 13 days and yet to have actually booked :eek:

Males me wish I lived close enough to drive to the ports. Have fun.

I agree, when you can drive to a port great last minute deals can be picked up. I live in Ct so the closest port to me is NY.

Gary

How did you find out about the great last minute rate?

Just for grins I took a look at the Carnival website and looked at the Sensation. Knew it did the 3 day quickie weekend cruise and thought it might be a nice treat for my wife for mothers day. Boy was it ever!

We paid over $300 for a room on St Pete Beach a couple weekends ago for our anniversary. One night, no food. This cruise was under $200 each!! (OK, full disclosure - $184 pp for an OV guarantee room which turned out to be an aft facing OV on Main deck. Paid $20 pp for Foreigner - see separate comments regarding the concert. Emailed Carnival and they credited us $50 OBC for our stock ownership. All around, I think we paid about the same as our one night on the beach plus meals!

Foreigner Review:

Back from the weekend. Wanted to post my thoughts on the concert.

We absolutely loved the show! Foreigner was high energy, fantastic sound (they brought their own sound system) and good showmanship!

Yes, this is music we grew up with, and no, there were no original members there (Mick Jones has apparently been unwell the past couple months). However, the current band are all excellent musicians and the show was fantastic.

They played for about an hour and 20 minutes. The set sounded like a run through of their greatest hits. Every song was a hit and had the crowd singing along.

The show was in the main show room - the Fantasia lounge - which seats about 1300 (I didn't realize it was that large until I looked it up!). They were promoting the tickets during boarding, and announced shortly after departing that the show was sold out. Bought ours when I booked.

As many know, the sight lines are not great in the Fantasy class ship main show rooms. We planned to get there early, but wound up arriving after the doors had opened (they open 1 hour before showtime). By then, the room was over 1/2 full, but we wound up upstairs on the end of an aisle about 4 rows back from the glass. Our seats allowed us to stand without blocking anyone behind, and we did in fact stand through most of the show.

The VIP seats looked to fill most of the floor level main seating - the first 5-6 rows (I thought I had heard that the VIP area would only be the first couple of rows, but that was not the case).

So to summarize, we loved the show! Our experience would actually encourage us to book another cruise for the concert.

I know there have been some derogatory comments about the "county fair" performers, but it caught my eye that Foreigner will be playing a concert in our area at Ruth Eckert Hall - a premier concert hall in Clearwater - later this month. Its a double bill with Styx (yes, another Carnival Live performer). Tickets range from $85 to $135, with a dinner package for $200 that includes premium up front seating but no band meet and greet.

Just thought that was interesting...