Scootering now, vs. 1990s-- is it a lot worse?

ajdickinson

Our party is debating "to scooter, or not to scooter" while in Bermuda-- the main riders would be two young couples with zero non-pedal bike experience to date.

I have read Big Mike's horrifying cautionary thread, and am duly intimidated by the stories of aggressive drivers and harrowing near-misses. But another member of our party, similarly inexperienced with motorcycles, rode scooters all over the island in the early '90s and says, au contraire, that it was great fun and relatively low-stress.

Thus, my question: have things changed a ton with Bermuda traffic over the past two decades? How good a benchmark would an early '90s scootering trip be for the kind of experience we'd likely have in 2014? Thanks!!

Thus, my question: have things changed a ton with Bermuda traffic over the past two decades? How good a benchmark would an early '90s scootering trip be for the kind of experience we'd likely have in 2014? Thanks!!

It seems to me that there are a lot more vehicles on the roads and they all seem to be going somewhat faster than in the 80's and 90's. I rented a scooter maybe 5 years ago, and while I was fine with it, I can see how it could scare some. The joys of being able to set your own schedules have to be tempered by the couple's complete inexperience with scooters. If they are interested, they should head over to the rental shop in the dockyard and test the bikes out for comfort level.

Our party is debating "to scooter, or not to scooter" while in Bermuda-- the main riders would be two young couples with zero non-pedal bike experience to date.

I have read Big Mike's horrifying cautionary thread, and am duly intimidated by the stories of aggressive drivers and harrowing near-misses. But another member of our party, similarly inexperienced with motorcycles, rode scooters all over the island in the early '90s and says, au contraire, that it was great fun and relatively low-stress.

Thus, my question: have things changed a ton with Bermuda traffic over the past two decades? How good a benchmark would an early '90s scotering trip be for the kind of experience we'd likely have in 2014? Thanks!!

My 2¢, if you have any doubts about riding a scooter, don't rent one. Let those who do want to rent, let them and meet them for dinner.

SBtS

We've been regular visitors to Bermuda for more than 25 years, and I can assure you that traffic is much heavier and drivers less courteous than when we first started vacationing there...so your friend is going to find things have changed, and not for the better, since he was last in Bermuda.

My only experience in Bermuda was in 2011, and my wife and I took buses everywhere. I thought the traffic on the roads was like being in Italy or Mexico, with the added complication of driving on the left. EVERYONE was speeding, including our buses. If your friends decide to do this, I hope they have really, really good medical insurance. I think Big Mike's posting is spot on.

Edited by Langoustine

I do agree - renting a scooter in Bermuda is not for "first timers". BUT - it is my humble opinion that some of the comments make it sound more treacherous than it actually is. I have "scootered" without issue on five cruises with three other "newbies". Yes the locals speed and drive like maniacs, but that has never kept me from controlling my scooter and having a wonderful safe tour of the island.

It is not for everyone, but it can be done safely. Stay left and drive slow!

Yes the locals speed and drive like maniacs, but that has never kept me from controlling my scooter and having a wonderful safe tour of the island.

Ah. Well. There you have it. Certainly makes me want to rent a scooter. Your choice, of course.

Edited by Langoustine