Question - Overnight in Port

Hi all -

We'll be sailing this July in the Western Mediterranean. One of our stops will be Venice, Italy. We've been there on a previous cruise and are looking forward to going back. We arrive in Venice at 3pm on Monday and depart at 8:30pm on Tuesday. Once we arrive in Venice on Monday, we plan to get off the ship, sightsee, eat dinner in port, and explore the Venetian nightlife before returning to the ship that night. My question is this: Since the ship will be in port all night, can we return to the ship at any hour of the night? Will the ship have security at the gangway to check passengers all night long?

Thanks for your valuable information.

Hi all -

We'll be sailing this July in the Western Mediterranean. One of our stops will be Venice, Italy. We've been there on a previous cruise and are looking forward to going back. We arrive in Venice at 3pm on Monday and depart at 8:30pm on Tuesday. Once we arrive in Venice on Monday, we plan to get off the ship, sightsee, eat dinner in port, and explore the Venetian nightlife before returning to the ship that night. My question is this: Since the ship will be in port all night, can we return to the ship at any hour of the night? Will the ship have security at the gangway to check passengers all night long?

Thanks for your valuable information.

Yes, the ship will have security 24 hours. You can get off and on at will.

I love Venice- in fact I could say its one of my favorite places on earth- But - the food there is medicare at best and woeful in-comparison to any other Italian place I have been. Especially if you plan to eat in a touristy area with a canal view. My family live in Italy near the lakes and before my first visit to Venice for 5 days they warned me how poor the food was- I didn't believe them- I do now. If you plan to eat dinner there I would use trip adviser to find an off the beaten track back street local place - that is your best (only chance ) for some really nice Italian food.

Edited by fragilek

That's no doubt true but in my experience mediocre food in Italy is still pretty darned good.

We went to a tourist trap right near Pompeii and we thought it'd be just ok, and it was in comparison, but was still a great lunch.

Edited by DrD