Soy allergy

snowmaiden

My husband and I have been planning our cruise to Alaska on the Coral Princess for almost a whole year. Just three weeks before we're due to fly out, I found out I have a soy allergy. At first we were considering cancelling, but once the soy cleared my system, I felt better than I had in years, so we decided to go ahead with our plans after all.

I've marked the spot in the Cruise Personalizer for a food allergy, although the instructions say it needs to be done 35 days in advance, so it may have been too late to do any good. I've also looked through the forums to try to get a feel for how Princess handles food allergies. I've found lots and lots of threads about gluten intolerance, and quite a few about dairy allergies. From these, I got an idea of how the process works in general. But I haven't found much specifically about soy allergies, at least not in adults. (I did find quite a few threads where someone with a soy allergy promised to report back once their cruise was over, but it didn't appear than any of them ever had. I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means. :eek:)

Here's the thing: I'm still pretty new to figuring out what I can safely eat, and I still sometimes mess up and have to face the consequences. (Fortunately, my allergy is not life-threatening, but it does lead to very painful gastrointestinal side effects, which I'd rather not have interrupt my Alaskan fun!) I would really love to hear from other people who've been in similar circumstances and find out how many and what type of modifications they really needed to the regular menu. It's almost impossible to find processed foods or chain restaurant foods that don't have soy additives in them, but my feeling is that Princess makes almost everything from scratch, so maybe I have less to worry about than I think I do. Does anyone have any experience with this?

My husband and I have been planning our cruise to Alaska on the Coral Princess for almost a whole year. Just three weeks before we're due to fly out, I found out I have a soy allergy. At first we were considering cancelling, but once the soy cleared my system, I felt better than I had in years, so we decided to go ahead with our plans after all.

I've marked the spot in the Cruise Personalizer for a food allergy, although the instructions say it needs to be done 35 days in advance, so it may have been too late to do any good. I've also looked through the forums to try to get a feel for how Princess handles food allergies. I've found lots and lots of threads about gluten intolerance, and quite a few about dairy allergies. From these, I got an idea of how the process works in general. But I haven't found much specifically about soy allergies, at least not in adults. (I did find quite a few threads where someone with a soy allergy promised to report back once their cruise was over, but it didn't appear than any of them ever had. I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means. :eek:)

Here's the thing: I'm still pretty new to figuring out what I can safely eat, and I still sometimes mess up and have to face the consequences. (Fortunately, my allergy is not life-threatening, but it does lead to very painful gastrointestinal side effects, which I'd rather not have interrupt my Alaskan fun!) I would really love to hear from other people who've been in similar circumstances and find out how many and what type of modifications they really needed to the regular menu. It's almost impossible to find processed foods or chain restaurant foods that don't have soy additives in them, but my feeling is that Princess makes almost everything from scratch, so maybe I have less to worry about than I think I do. Does anyone have any experience with this?

In addition to the info you added to the personalizer make sure and contact the M/D and or Head Waiter in the DR that you end up going to once onboard. Additionaly there is a time/place listed in the patter on embarkation day that you can meet with the M/D in one of the DR's, usually around 2pm for special requests. They will be paramount in assisting you onboard with your allergy.

They do make almost everything from scratch but soy is a hidden ingredient in so many foods that may even form the base of a "scratch" dish it could get really tricky. As you have already discovered, eating "clean" is the best route -fresh fruit and veggies, proteins that don't have sauces, etc. It is possible to do that on the ship, although it does take discipline.

Personally, I would not trust the head waiter to be able to tell you if some flavoring agent that was used contained soy or not - so many do. It's not that they don't want to be helpful, it's just that soy can be so deeply "hidden" that even the chef's don't realize it is part of what they consider a pretty basic ingredient. If they are not making salad dressings from scratch, use prepared mayo, well, by now, you are keyed into those things....but I would make a bet that a head waiter, no matter how well trained re: sugar, gluten, low-sodium, shellfish, and some other issues, is, that is probably not something they pay attention to.

The good news is that I strongly suspect their baked goods are going to be soy free, unless you ask for a gluten free something, and their baked goods - breads, rolls, pastries - are delicious. Also, they make ice cream and sorbet from scratch, and they are also delicious, and they should be soy free.

(I don't have a soy-restricted diet, but I do have an advanced degree in nutrition and food-safety. I do have a different food sensitivity.)

Edited by ggprincess2004

I don't have a soy allergy, but I do get allergy shots and have an allergy to nuts, shellfish, some fresh fruits, etc....

I hope you have talked to a doctor and they have given you something for your allergy (not sure what kind of reaction that you have gotten, but if severe enough, would want to make sure you have an epi-pen available, i have developed additional allergies over time and the severity has increased as well to some).

That being said, we will be on our first cruise in two weeks. In traveling, I always make sure i have Children's liquid Benadryl. When I feel a reaction come on, I take this and its fast acting and it will more often than not, eliminate the need to use my epi-pen. (granted not always the case, i have had to use epi and go to the er). I would talk to your doctor (again not sure how your soy allergy affects you other than the GI issues) but may be good to have on the ship in case you cannot precisely decipher what is in the food you will be eating. I submitted the allergy information to Princess for the cruise and received a response that they are now aware, but to remind the waitstaff regarding any allergy. Also, it was suggested to eat in the main dining rooms where they have more control over what you are eating versus eating in the buffet.

Edited by ckb148

Thanks to all of you who replied so far! I do have an appointment with an allergist for next week; I'm sure he'll give me some advice on what to do if I find myself reacting to something, and possibly an epi-pen, if he thinks I need one. So far, my responses have been largely confined to the GI tract, but last weekend I did experience chest tightness and itching after eating something I later figured out had soy in it. This was my "ah-ha" moment when I finally realized I was dealing with a true allergy and not just a food intolerance. I'd been trying to cut soy out of my diet anyway, since I thought it was probably responsible for the nausea and indigestion I'd been experiencing for the past few months, but once I realized it was a true allergy, I went cold turkey and cut all the sources out of my diet that I can find. (I filled a big box with rejects from my cupboard, which my college-age stepson will be happy to take off my hands!) Now that I'm weaned off of soy, though, I seem to be reacting to even the tiniest amounts, like as a filler in vitamins and in the wax coatings on produce. Fortunately, now that I'm hypersensitized, I can usually tell right away when I'm getting that "soy feeling," so if I eat slowly enough, I can stop before I have a major attack, which involves 18-36 hours of nausea and indigestion. (Not the way I want to spend my time in Alaska!)

If anyone else has anything to add, feel free to chime in.

That does clarify the extent of your issue, so soy additives in even very small concentrations are also a problem, hence, request the dining room (when you eat there) to steam your veggies, use only the oil and vinegar to dress your salad (they do have that available for you), and really, really clue the head waiter in to the extent of the issue.

I disagree with the advice not to eat in the buffet, and here is why. You will find raw, fresh veggies on the salad bar - generally a safe choice, and they always have fresh fruit out, including bananas, sliced melons, pineapple - the kind where the peel is not eaten. Of course, there are many items you won't want to go near on the buffet, but there are basically unprepared paleo-diet things there that you certainly can enjoy.

In addition, in the dining room, if you ask you should be able to get a bowl of berries for breakfast, etc, if you tire of melon and the like. You can also get a selection of (peeled) fruit upon request, just be specific. And you already know to avoid chocolate in anything, but there are lots of great ice creams and pastries with no chocolate.

You might want to ask for a conversation with the executive chef on board - be clear about what oils they use in the preparation of various things - for instance if they are frying in pure canola oil you might be able to enjoy French fries, but if they alternate oils, or use a blend, nothing fried will be truly safe. Also the fried eggs, those types of things.

If you haven't had time to experiment with alternatives to commercially prepared mayo and the like, I suggest you try a mashed avocado - add tomato, onion, citrus juice, a little olive oil, salt pepper to taste, moistens a sandwich and tops bland preparations nicely. You should be able to have then give you avocado which has already been cut in half, with the pit removed, but still in the shell, so you can do this, and still be confident no one accidently mixed in the wrong thing. It's a special request but entirely reasonable in your situation.

Ask how they are preparing the "always" available salmon, chicken - I am concerned about cross contamination of cooking surfaces if they vary oils. If the prep is ok, these items will be a big help to you during the cruise.

And the really great news is - wine doesn't contain soy, for the most part you can drink and be merry!!!! Seems like the cruise will be a time to sharpen your soy avoidance skills as well as have a great time - bon voyage!!!!!

Princess makes almost all of its food from scratch, so having a soy free diet should be doable. First thing on board go to the main dining room and talk to the maitre d. He should put you in contact with your head waiter. Do not deal with your waiter or junior waiter in getting this set up. You want the guy in the white jacket. Your head waiter will be responsible for conferring with the chef concerning what is soy free, and what could be easily altered. You will generally get a menu the night before to select for the next day. It is probably safest to eat in the MDR where you have someone looking out for you, especially while you are learning to deal with a new food allergy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Since you've been so helpful to me, I thought I should give you a status report. I finally got in to see the allergist today, and all my pricks were completely negative except for the control. I'm greatly relieved to find out that I have no risk of anaphylaxis after all, which has been the main thing plaguing me. I still don't want to have any nasty stomach problems while I'm on vacation, and I still need to see a gastroenterologist when we get back to find out exactly what is making me so sick, but I think I can finally relax and enjoy my cruise. Only nine days to go!

Edited by snowmaiden

Since you've been so helpful to me, I thought I should give you a status report. I finally got in to see the allergist today, and all my pricks were completely negative except for the control. I'm greatly relieved to find out that I have no risk of anaphylaxis after all, which has been the main thing plaguing me. I still don't want to have any nasty stomach problems while I'm on vacation, and I still need to see a gastroenterologist when we get back to find out exactly what is making me so sick, but I think I can finally relax and enjoy my cruise. Only nine days to go!

That is very good news! Bon Voyage!

By the way, I found this blog post from a gluten-free woman who toured the galley on the Coral to be very helpful. It took a lot of digging for me to find, so I thought I'd put the link here for the benefit of people who find this thread in the future.

http://www.foxinthekitchenblog.com/blogpost/2013/11/blogpost-coral-princess-galley-tour-cruising-gluten-free/

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app