Vatican Night Visit

agadora

My group and I are arriving in Rome at about 11am on a Friday and have scheduled a night visit of the Vatican Museums that evening at 7:30. We plan to drop our bags at the hotel and have a little lunch. We want to visit the Basilica and we're not sure how early we should head over. How much time should we leave for Basilica visit and St. Peter's Square before the Museums visit? What all is there to do in that area besides the Basilica, Square, and Museums?

We have two more days after this when we are visiting other parts of Rome, so we'd like to stick to the Vatican area during this time frame. One option I've looked at is Castel Sant'Angelo. But we are open to other kind of cool and unique or out of the ordinary things to do as well.

You will love doing the Vatican Museums in the evening. I did this last May. No crowd, at times I was even by myself in certain places.

I can't tell you how much time to spend at the Basilica - I didn't visit this time. I did walk back around to St. Peter's square to see it at night. It was so surreal to be there with maybe a handful of people and imagine that it was crowded with thousands of people a few weeks before when Pope Francis was elected.

If you are looking for a snack, head down to the Cipro Metro station. Just outside of it on Via della Meloria, you will find Pizzarium. A little hole-in-the-wall, but fantastic pizza al taglio. Even Anthony Bourdain likes it :D

The artwork in the basilica alone takes about an hour to see - there's a good virtual tour that gives you an idea here: http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/san_pietro/vr_tour/index-en.html

There's also the Treasury, a separate area (with a fee).

Then there's the climb to the top of the cupola (also a fee), which takes about an hour.

As to other things to see and do in the area, Castel Sant'Angelo is really about it. The rest of the area is mostly residential/business.

Near by (one mile on foot along the Tiber from the basilica) is Villa Farnesina, which few Americans ever seem to visit: http://www.villafarnesina.it/?lang=en

In the same area as Villa Farnesina are the botanical gardens, although unless you're really into that subject matter I wouldn't head there.

Edited by euro cruiser

• 2 months later...
The artwork in the basilica alone takes about an hour to see - there's a good virtual tour that gives you an idea here: http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/san_pietro/vr_tour/index-en.html

There's also the Treasury, a separate area (with a fee).

Then there's the climb to the top of the cupola (also a fee), which takes about an hour.

As to other things to see and do in the area, Castel Sant'Angelo is really about it. The rest of the area is mostly residential/business.

Near by (one mile on foot along the Tiber from the basilica) is Villa Farnesina, which few Americans ever seem to visit: http://www.villafarnesina.it/?lang=en

In the same area as Villa Farnesina are the botanical gardens, although unless you're really into that subject matter I wouldn't head there.

HI,

Just did the Vatican Night Tour at the end of May and got the tour guide. The Door at the Museum opens at 7PM and people were there starting at 6:15PM Our tour started at 7:30PM and ended about 9PM then you had the rest of the night until 11PM to wander / revisit the Vatican on your own.

This was my 2nd time on a tour and it was different than the 1st one!

Doing the Night Tour either with a guide or on your own is GREAT NO CROWDS, No getting connected into a different group. You will really enjoy it:):).

Reminder St Peter's closes around 5PM to get in and literally I think you need to leave by 6PM!

ENJOY!

My group and I are arriving in Rome at about 11am on a Friday and have scheduled a night visit of the Vatican Museums that evening at 7:30. We plan to drop our bags at the hotel and have a little lunch. We want to visit the Basilica and we're not sure how early we should head over. How much time should we leave for Basilica visit and St. Peter's Square before the Museums visit? What all is there to do in that area besides the Basilica, Square, and Museums?

We have two more days after this when we are visiting other parts of Rome, so we'd like to stick to the Vatican area during this time frame. One option I've looked at is Castel Sant'Angelo. But we are open to other kind of cool and unique or out of the ordinary things to do as well.

How do you do this? (Schedule the night tours) Thanks!

HI,

Just did the Vatican Night Tour at the end of May and got the tour guide. The Door at the Museum opens at 7PM and people were there starting at 6:15PM Our tour started at 7:30PM and ended about 9PM then you had the rest of the night until 11PM to wander / revisit the Vatican on your own.

This was my 2nd time on a tour and it was different than the 1st one!

Doing the Night Tour either with a guide or on your own is GREAT NO CROWDS, No getting connected into a different group. You will really enjoy it:):).

Reminder St Peter's closes around 5PM to get in and literally I think you need to leave by 6PM!

ENJOY!

Those night tours are only on certain nights right? Like just Fri and maybe one other night?

We get in on Sat morning and out on Mon morning, so I think we cant do one of these, but I bet its so pretty at night!