Tracy Arm excursion pictures?

Fog123

Hi,

We're trying to decide between Harv and Marv whale watching in Juneau or doing the Tracy Arm excursion through Allen Marine tours via the cruise ship.

Does anyone have pictures of the excursion through Tracy Arm? Budget Queen, I saw some links to your photos, but I couldn't get them to work so I don't know if they're still there.

We are doing Glacier Bay, Skagway (where we rent a car), Juneau, and Ketchikan on our cruise.

The price is not much different between the two excursions and I don't think we'd do both. We've done whale watching before.

We're very much scenery people, but not crowd people. We loved Iceland last year so we suspect that Tracy Arm would be something we'd enjoy.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't done the ships tour but have done the all day Adventure Bound tour from Juneau.

There is a huge difference in seeing Tracy Arm from a small boat versus the cruise ship.

Even thought I've done this 5 times already I tried to book again with Adventure Bound in June. Sadly they are fully booked the day I'm in Juneau.

Here is a link to several of my albums from some past trips to Tracy Arm on the small boat. None of my visits by cruise ship offered the shorter excursion.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283269&highlight=blue+album

DougH, the photos are beautiful! I've only watched the first five minutes of the Blue Album, but it looks wonderful. I'm going to save the rest to view with DH later tonight.

We're missing Iceland in a big way, this might take the edge off.

Thanks for sharing.

I just uploaded some pics from our excursion to Tracy Arm via Adventure Bound. You can view them in the Alaska Pics link in my signature.

Here are a couple shots:

Being a fjord, rock walls jut out from the water straight up on both sides.

14146384084_6aeb539cf0.jpg

IMG_5148 by ikirumata, on Flickr

Deep blue icebergs were everywhere! The color is just breathtaking.

14143320402_8ba0ecb430.jpg

Deep blue icebergs! by ikirumata, on Flickr

Seals like to give birth on the icebergs. The icebergs mess with whale sonar, so they feel safe here. This pup was just born not too long ago. You can still see where the umbilical cord was once attached. Amazing!

14142867471_2bea6fbfdc.jpg

Seal and newborn pup by ikirumata, on Flickr

Nice view of one of the sides of the Sawyer Glacier. We were blessed with a beautiful day in late May!

7158309031_d75cefce89.jpg

Tracy Arm Fjord by ikirumata, on Flickr

Edited by ikirumata

If you watch the "Blue Album" in the last half there are a lot of photos of a rare 'shooter" iceberg calving off underwater and surfacing in front of us. This was really spectacular and went on for quite a while until it finally settled down and turned over. Comparing it to another small boat in the area with us it was easily between 120-200 feet long, a pretty big piece of ice :) ( well over twice as big as the 56' Adventure Bound when we sailed by it later)

In all my trips to Alaska this is the only time I've seen a shooter and it was a fantastic experience.