No more shore to ship dedicated number

It was mentioned on another thread, but I just found this on the Carnival website (after looking and looking-it was listed under "internet")

Shore-to-Ship Communication

Effective 11/27/13: This service is no longer offered.

We know many of you would like an emergency contact number for family members not traveling with you. Therefore, in the event of a true emergency, loved ones may contact our call center at 1-800-227-6482 on a 24/7 basis. Our team will take down the caller's name and contact information and pass it on to our Guest Services team on board so they can extend the guest a complimentary phone call.

It was mentioned on another thread, but I just found this on the Carnival website (after looking and looking-it was listed under "internet")

I like it that they stopped that service. It was too easy for someone to call you in your room.

I like it that they stopped that service. It was too easy for someone to call you in your room.

i know what you mean. My friends and family would be constantly calling me in my cabin all times of the day and night from home to chit chat. i couldn't get a minute of sleep.:p

Bill

Im on Vacation

If someone wants to talk to me it can wait till I get back

I cant do anything in the middle of the ocean:rolleyes:

Glad we didn't have any emergencies. We left our then 18 yo son to house sit the dog and three cats. We sailed on Dec 2nd and I had left him the emergency number. Hopefully the number had a referral number recorded for those who DID have emergencies.

I think the original shore to ship number or method was probably discontinued due to the cost. The cost was between $7.00-$9.00 (don't quote me) a minute, and the caller was required to charge it on a credit or debit card when placing the call. I think the new way is much more customer friendly, and those family members given the number could be told only to call in an extreme emergency. I would only give the number to one family member who would be the primary contact.

Remember that most cell phones DO work on the ship, and incoming calls are billed to your cell number at around $2.00 a minute, but only if you answer the call. Also remember to turn "data roaming" OFF or your phone will run up quite a bill running background services and receiving texts.

True, but family emergencies occur. It's important there be some way to contact in case of emergency.

I didn't realize it was discontinued either. Although our last 3 sailings have been on NCL. Something I like that NCL does, is they print a dedicated phone number for the ship for emergencies on your room/charge key.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

i know what you mean. My friends and family would be constantly calling me in my cabin all times of the day and night from home to chit chat. i couldn't get a minute of sleep.:p

That's not the worst of it. There are many workaholic bosses who constantly call their subordinates on vacation. Perhaps the hassle factor will deter that behavior, especially considering that a third party will note down the call. This way, cruising can continue to be a true getaway. And in genuine emergencies, families and friends won't care about the hassle in reaching someone.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01