Allure 2015 Mediterranean - Embark in Barcelona or Civitavecchia ?

We have also booked the Vision for September 2015...are you going September 1st? This will be our first Med cruise and I am excited!

YES, we are. this is our first also - I am excited but a little overwhelmed at all the planning. I will be reading CC non-stop over the next year and half.

(btw - I've noticed your screen name before and love it!)

YES, we are. this is our first also - I am excited but a little overwhelmed at all the planning. I will be reading CC non-stop over the next year and half.

I'm a little overwhelmed too ... this is all new territory to me and sure will be reading CC a lot too over the next year! Language, places to see and go, hotels to stay pre and post cruise, what is it all gonna cost, etc. Booking so soon out, it's still too early to even get an idea on airfare or hotel rates! Exciting and fun tho ... can't believe we're actually finally doing this! :eek:

We just booked this cruise for October 2015. Also, looking into hotels in Barcelona. Looking forward to sailing on this ship....although it's much larger than any we've ever sailed, so a bit apprehensive. I believe the itinerary is somewhat different than the one currently being done on the Liberty.

That's great! There isn't a roll call yet for this cruise...maybe we should start one!

I know there is a lot to plan, but we have lots of time, and for me, it's part of the enjoyment of the cruise!

(and thanks, the one who pays stopped loving it a long time ago LOL)

We've done a Med. cruise out of Barcelona and agree with the others...Barcelona was never on my radar but we had a fabulous time and getting to/from the port was easy. We too are considering this cruise but out of Rome. The day we had there just simply wasn't enough. I remember being very frustrated wanting to stay and see more.

I vote for Rome, if you haven't been there definitely get there a couple of days before so you can see the Vatican, Coliseum, etc. We booked the pre-cruise hotel and transfers through Royal which made our lives really easy. The hotel we picked through Royal was kitty corner to the main train station where the airport express went to.

Barcelona, Barcelona, Barcelona

Board and disembark in Barcelona any time you can for easier transfer to/fro ship and more civilized airport.

(Warning: Do not connect flights at Paris airport CDG, exhausting for customs and security)

Rome (FCO) Airport is primitive and a zoo. Your Civitavecchia transfers are costly, longer, more strenuous in total.

See Rome on your own (90 minutes ea way via tour bus) from the ship. The FCO airport is outside of Rome, compared to the BCN airport that is a short taxi ride to the main tourist connection "Las Ramblas" and to the cruise port.

jls

I have done both. This post perfectly sums up my opinion (including the airports). Plan on Civitavecchia for your second trip to the Med.

I'm a little overwhelmed too ... this is all new territory to me and sure will be reading CC a lot too over the next year! Language, places to see and go, hotels to stay pre and post cruise, what is it all gonna cost, etc. Booking so soon out, it's still too early to even get an idea on airfare or hotel rates! Exciting and fun tho ... can't believe we're actually finally doing this! :eek:

Don't worry about language. Most speak excellent English. Hotel and food prices are about the same as major US city ports. The transportation is super easy. They are years ahead of the US in mass transportation. I'd recommend trip advisor for any Barcelona questions.

• 2 weeks later...
We were in Barcelona for three days and it was not nearly enough time to see even just the highlights. We plan at least three more days next May. Perhaps there is not a lot that interests you compared to Rome but there is a lot to see and do in Barcelona.

Good point. I am working with 3 teen boys who are more selective than any teens should ever be. We all love to travel but hit a limit on days so I have to watch what I plan to keep them all on board with my vacation planning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My BH & I are booked on the Allure for this July, but we are already planning our Mediterranean sailing on July 26, 2015. We booked the Barcelona sailing as I wanted a more leisurely trip since we will be sailing with up to four of our grown kids!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've done both on RCI (Mariner and Liberty) and I would take Barcelona, all else being equal. It's a beautiful city, weather is usually great that time of year, and it's a much, much easier port to deal with.

My mother, who is in a wheelchair, was with us on the Barcelona cruise and it was pretty simple to get her around too, by the way. I've been in and out of the airport there several times (both cities) and Barcelona's is much nicer as well.

And of course the port of Barcelona is actually in Barcelona :) As several others have noted already Civitavecchia is a pretty good drive from Rome proper, and if there's bad traffic - not unheard of - it can be a long journey.

That said Rome is one of the world's great cities and if you haven't been you will love it, just factor in a lot of travelling. You will not begin to see it in a day, just like they couldn't build it that fast :) so really if that's your interest then get there a few days early or leave a few days later and enjoy.

We are going on Allure June 14th 2015. My current plan is to fly late Thursday out of Atlanta non stop to London arriving mid-morning hoping for some sleep since it is during our usual sleep time. After a day and half we will fly on to Barcelona and have Saturday evening and Sunday to explore Barcelona prior to the cruise. First time to Europe so trying to squeeze in a lot....

Don't forget to check choice air prices! My family of 6 are flying to Barcelona in Sept and after watching different travel sights for flights knew what they have been running for the last year, decided to check choice air and they were about $200 cheaper so started checking that 2 or 3 x a day and one night they dropped an additional $200 pp had to jump on that deal saved me a lot of money!