Dumb wine question, version 2

Either way is fine. People bring them onboard all the time. You don't have to pay the fee unless it is opened in the MDR. Seems silly to me.

I agree with you--it would be nice if they supplied at no charge one of those cute corkscrews with the ships name on it.

I just asked my room steward the last 2 cruises. 1st cruise she told me to call room service and the 2nd cruise he (the room steward) took care of it. They brought a small one and I just left it in the room when done (they do reuse them)

I pack one in my checked luggage.

We do the same! We don't want to bother the steward on embarkation day with having to go find us one nor do we want to wait for him/her to bring us one.:D

What about corkscrews? Do you pack them in your carryon, checked, or do you have to get one onboard or pay for corkage? Or bring screwtop?

FYI - if you are flying in, do not bring a corkscrew in your carryon. Several types are on the TSA "prohibited items" list and will get you pulled aside as I found out by complete accident. They were decent about it and mine was permitted, but it was a bit scary there for a minute because they don't tell you what's going on.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Either way is fine. People bring them onboard all the time. You don't have to pay the fee unless it is opened in the MDR. Seems silly to me.

Its not silly at all! The reason you are allowed to bring wine on a cruise is there is a good chance the cruiseline will not carry a wine of your choice, same as many restaurants. The corkage fee is intended for the correct glass the opening chilling or decanting and the wine service:)

Most people just open their own wine in the cabin and a cruiseline has no control over that because it would be a logistical nightmare to collect all the wine at boarding store it and have it brought to each guest at dinner on demand:)

We always bring a corkscrew in the bag with the wine and a couple plastic glasses. One cruise the corkscrew broke and I just took the bottle to one of the bars and they opened it, no charge/

Its not silly at all! The reason you are allowed to bring wine on a cruise is there is a good chance the cruiseline will not carry a wine of your choice, same as many restaurants. The corkage fee is intended for the correct glass the opening chilling or decanting and the wine service:)

QUOTE]

I get that, and I do see your point, but... ;)