Advice on diet

rdler

I hate to say this, but my adolescent son is fairly porky. His doctor and I finally have him on a diet, and he is doing quite well, but it will be a long process.

Wouldn't you know, just when we're really getting started with the diet, a cruise is coming up.

Does anybody have any tips for keeping weight off on a cruise? And remember this is a 12 year old boy who likes food that we're talking about. And he's not especially athletic, so I don't think he's going to be playing pick up basketball.

The only things I can really think of are having him take a lot of steps instead of the elevator and then walking him (and me) to death both on the boat and ashore. Any food recommendations? It will be hard for him to resist Guy's Burgers, so if he sees that, I fear the diet is history.

And does the Steakhouse have anything that is not a calorie-laced cholesterol buster? Similar question with the MDR?

For the first time, a cruise is coming at just the wrong time. I should add that I'd rather not torture the boy.

Thanks in advance folks. I really do need some words of wisdom.

There is a TON of food on cruise ships, yes. But.. there is a TON of GOOD FOOD as well as JUNK.

Concentrate on the wonderful offerings of Fresh Fruits, Salads, etc.

Egg White Omelets for Breakfast.

Salads or Mongolian Wok for lunch.

Dinner with Veggies and sugar free desserts that are sometimes better than the sugar filled ones!!

Drink water all day, stay away from the Lemonade and Soda.

Excercize.. in the gym or simply by walking stairs.

It is amazing what a fantastic time you can have on a cruise when it is NOT about Food.

Good Luck!

Catrin

I always lose weight on a cruise....mainly because of the extra walking and the stairs that I don't get at home. I also don't over eat. I don't rush my meals and stop when full. I keep to one roll at dinner. Eat my appetizer, half my entrée, and half my desert. A light breakfast and lunch and maybe a snack.

Keeping active is the key ... walking everywhere, the stairs, swimming ...

I wasn't on any particular diet, and I made pretty good choices most of the time, but did indulge in moderation, and somehow managed to lose 5lbs on a 4 day cruise. Having a porthole cabin all the way forward helped considerably.

I have similar issues with my 17 yo son, although "porky" probably wouldn't be a word I would use ...lol. But he uses the pedometer on his phone, and an app to log his calories and track his progress. He has been incredibly successful. Does your son have a Fitbit or some other tool that puts him in control and help him reach his goals? I logged over 20,000 steps in one day just walking around, exploring the ship!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Well , I think you should have a talk with him and explain your worries and concerns about his diet . His is old enough to understand and make good choices for himself . Like the light options suggestion, but keep in mind that you are on a vacation and you are there to enjoy your selfs no fun to be on guard the whole cruise. Maybe give a free check for the cruise or do the diet together as encouragement for him. Walking the track and talking together , swimming, ect.

I hope my suggestions helps and wish You the very best on discussion and decision. Happy travels

I think I would sit down with my son and tell him how proud I was of his progress. I would talk to him about the choices he will have to make. Like ice cream and pizza. He will probably make new friends and it will be helpful for him to have some freedom to make good choices. He needs a plan before you board the ship. As a lifetime dieter the worst thing for me is buffets, because you see all of the food and you want to try it. Encourage him to stay as close to his home food plan as he can. He will have slips. Let him. He will get back on track when he returns home and resumes his normal routine.

Good luck and I hope you and your son have a great cruise.

Edited by luvscruising2007

I wouldn't ban anything, the deprivation would just make cravings worse...but discuss a balance...perhaps healthy breakfast, lunch he can have a burger (or you two split a burger!) and then healthy dinner. I find that just walking the ship is a lot of added exercise to what my reg routine would be. Does he swim?

For someone who does little walking or regular exercise in daily life, they will almost certainly be more active on ship than they will be at home. I think I can honestly say I have never gained weight on vacation. And even if he just pigs out and gains 5 pounds on vacation, what's more important is that he gets back on track at home. And honestly, setting that could be valuable for him long term. And I'm not talking out of my butt - I've lost around 100 lbs over the past 2 years and still don't deprive myself on vacation or special occasions. Trust me - the calorie imbalance can be way worse at home when the chief activity is walking from the desk to the kitchen and back. A handful of dry cereal or chips every 20 minutes does way more damage than a single binge on a burger. Talk to him about less bad choices rather than staying on plan the whole time. If he wants a great burger, he may be willing to have a veggie instead of fries. Our he may realize he feels awful after that kind of indulgence. This is a long term process for your son that is happening at the same time as the very normal desire to become more independent. He needs to make some choices and see the results, good or bad. His eating habits can't be about keeping you placated. My mantra has been that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Nothing I do in a single day or week is going to change my forever. If having ice cream three times a day and gaining 5 pounds is the cost of a life lesson and keeping a positive relationship between you, its a bargain in the grand scheme of life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It is hard as an adult to keep on track on a cruise...a 12 yr old boy...eek!

I have a few suggestions:

1) eat all your meals in the dining room...they will have set portions for him to order. If he doesn't go to the buffet the temptation isn't there to take too much.

2) set a schedule for meals that matches the meal schedule you follow at home.

3) allow him to choose the food, encourage and praise him when he makes healthy choices, but do it quietly or even after you leave the table so not to embarrass him.

4). If he doesn't choose something that you would want him to choose, still allow him to choose, at least in the dining room he is getting a portion controlled size. You can talk to him later to explain why you might not have chosen that, but I wouldn't make it a you shouldn't have chosen that, but more a curious why he chose that.

5)make sure to plan snacks, but have them by the pool, and you go into the buffet and get healthy snacks...fruit, a proper portion of ice cream or a cookie (not a dozen).

6) if you do need to do the buffet, make his plate for him, let him say what he wants but you control the portion size.

Make sure you go over things with him, so you let him know you are going to let him have choices but you want to help him not hinder him, so these will be ways to do that.

I would also suggest what someone else did...get him a FitBit and challenge/encourage him to do so many steps a day, just don't offer a food-based "reward".... Maybe something iTunes gift card or something like that.

Having just lost a significant amount of weight, I feel for him. It's hard when his friends might eat all they want. I would suggest maybe a "free" day, maybe the last day, that way the temptation isn't there on following days.

It's great that you are working with your son at this early age so that he can learn good eating habits now.

Chicken, salads, lo-cal dressing, sugar-free desserts, they are always available in the MDR for dinner and breakfast. Bring his favorite lo-cal Snacks from home (fiber bars, etc) and encourage him to participate in activities. I wish your family lots of fun and good times.

62A3E603-7A66-4F5C-9E63-9AEB6207FF5F_zpsn4khds3g.jpg

Let him eat and drink what he wants its a vacation!

Start the diet after the cruise! its impossible to gain lots of weight on a cruise of only a few days. most weight gained on cruises is usually fluid and gone within a day or two of returning home.

Diets dont work anyway, a healthy diet along with regular exercise does and those that choose the latter usually bring it along with them on a cruise because its just part of a normal healthy lifestyle:)

Mostly very sensitive responses..I have one skinny nephew and one chubby..brothers..it is amazing..half the male relatives in that family got the skinny gene and half the fat gene..they do eat differently..have different interests..and on top of it..the chubby one was born with his colon on the outside..called gastroskesis and had one heck of a time in regulation of it all the first 2 years with inducement and surgery at 8 months and 6 mos in ICU to start.

But now..he just LOVES food and has the freshman college extra fat even more after a sled accident and in a brace for half a year. His mom was in the middle until her 30's and is an extreme exerciser now and eats right but can and does splurge and it does not help.

You are great..thinking ahead of time and doing it. I sincerely think the best is to talk about great gains he made..and eating tons will derail some changing cravings etc. on the ship...and could really hurt his chances for success...and healing this in youth is the key to life. Tell him we all do not get it as easy as others no matter what we like or how active we are..some have to work harder on it all the time...

Talk about it with all the empathy and love and say this is not going to be the big diet cruise but the try to only gain a few and how great if it turns out being the loosing cruise because of being sane, sometimes saying no and being more active. this is one of any learning experiences in real life both on a diet and maintaining his goal weight and kind of use it as a experiment caper..so splurges can be like little learning things..try to make it humerous and learning but say in advance you want him to pay attention but you are not going to harp..plan a couple of walks together and monitor yourself as an adult with success who may have issues does ( in his shoes whether you are or not)...so he can watch you.

It is such a huge problem in society they should have healthy eating fun games in the kids circles and Carinval Camp things...if they could do it in a way kids were not cruel...

And say we will have some splurges on the trip but we will try not to do it all the time..so it will not be as had getting back on track at home...

So hard but strike the happy medium..and i would plan it for note taking eating and activity nightly a personal journal because he has just started...and then have something general to go over after vacation..look at how much activity and what he ate helped and hindered together afterwords..and get right back on the saddle afterwords with lots of good food handy that he likes right away....

Being realistic with chosen plan before..not too strict but honest with the truth of where he is at..and then have fun...

Try the fruit and veggie things prepared so beautifully...for room service too!! Only a little tip..he could get used to loving fruit for breakfast and then some good protein within reason at lido...

You are a good mom..it is hard..the balance...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I definitely agree with discussing it prior to the cruise and let him know that you are very proud of him sticking to his diet so far. I would also stay away from the buffet and try to eat most meals in the MDR. For breakfast/brunch he can get egg white omlettes, fresh fruit, turkey bacon, oatmeal, yogurt etc. For dinner there is a lower cal option and he can get sides of steamed vegetables. Stay away from desserts, do frozen yogurt instead of ice cream and let him enjoy a Guy's burger if thats what he wants as you dont want to deprive him and have him so focused on what he cant have. Also, be an example and eat what he eats too. I agree with getting a pedometer and doing a lot of walking around the ship. Good luck and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It will be hard for a 12 year old to resist the pizza, cookies, pastries, etc.

Try to get him to choose a piece of fruit over a cookie or piece of pie.

Get up early in the morning and make a game out of walking around the track to see who can finish walking a mile first.

Swimming is great exercise. The more time he spends in the pool the less time he'll spend in the buffet looking for sweets.

If he plans on the spending time in the kids club talk to the people working there and give them heads up that he is on a doctor recommended diet. So when it comes for snacks they'll work with you and him.

Coaching younger kids from 8-13, I can appreciate the issue of weight gain. Best thing to do is get them actively involved. Letting them make a good decision is important, yes, they are old enough for this.

But on the cruise, what I do starts early. I get up for the sunrise and walk 2.5-3 miles waiting for the sunrise. It is rare I use the elevator since we are on the 7th deck and it is a short flight up or down to the areas on the ship needed to be at. Plus, it DOES work off the extra calories. And as I tell people, I eat once a day... from sunrise to bed, grazing throughout the day. Most people "hate" me for it.

Lastly, there is soft-serve frozen yogurt instead of the ice-cream. So, there are smart options available, but keep him active. LOTS to do on the ships.

I say go easy on him during the cruise. 7 days isn't going to kill him. And, as other posters have said, he can get back on track when he gets home.

Let him eat what he wants, and just take the stairs, ALOT, do walking excursions and swimming. Doubt he'll gain much. Enjoy!!!!!:D:D

I think a cruise, or any vacation, is no different than real life, which is what you're really preparing him for by teaching him healthy eating habits. I would approach the cruise the same way that I'm trying to teach my four kiddos about taking care of their bodies and the way you seem to be trying to teach your son. It's not a "diet" or a "fad" or a way to get "skinny". It's about being healthy, whole humans who understand that you can't suck down crap and expect healthy lives or bodies. (our country is particularly poor at teaching this...I know.)

I'm of the opinion that a burger or two on a cruise is fine. The world won't end if you have an ice cream. I would SKIP the diet junk because the chemicals in them have been absolutely proven to be awful for you and, ultimately, make you hungrier through-out the day, causing you to eat way more calories than if you'd just had a small portion of the real deal. (Aspartame is AWFUL...diet drinks are basically death in a can)

Make every day about balance. Then, if he wants a burger for lunch one day, enjoy one with him! I never tell my kids it's a "treat", either. They aren't dogs and I don't want them to have the mentality that food is some kind of reward. It's not. It's fuel for the body that allows us to live full lives.

Cruises are great places for extra exercise that you don't have to hunt down. Make snorkeling an excursion one day! That is fun AND a great work out. Take the stairs, walk around deck every single day. Say no to the electronics on the ship so he doesn't want to sit in his room playing a game while sitting still for hours.

Good luck!!! He can do this! :)

Edited by Kristi Williamson

I think a cruise, or any vacation, is no different than real life, which is what you're really preparing him for by teaching him healthy eating habits. I would approach the cruise the same way that I'm trying to teach my four kiddos about taking care of their bodies and the way you seem to be trying to teach your son. It's not a "diet" or a "fad" or a way to get "skinny". It's about being healthy, whole humans who understand that you can't suck down crap and expect healthy lives or bodies. (our country is particularly poor at teaching this...I know.)

I'm of the opinion that a burger or two on a cruise is fine. The world won't end if you have an ice cream. I would SKIP the diet junk because the chemicals in them have been absolutely proven to be awful for you and, ultimately, make you hungrier through-out the day, causing you to eat way more calories than if you'd just had a small portion of the real deal. (Aspartame is AWFUL...diet drinks are basically death in a can)

Make every day about balance. Then, if he wants a burger for lunch one day, enjoy one with him! I never tell my kids it's a "treat", either. They aren't dogs and I don't want them to have the mentality that food is some kind of reward. It's not. It's fuel for the body that allows us to live full lives.

Cruises are great places for extra exercise that you don't have to hunt down. Make snorkeling an excursion one day! That is fun AND a great work out. Take the stairs, walk around deck every single day. Say no to the electronics on the ship so he doesn't want to sit in his room playing a game while sitting still for hours.

Good luck!!! He can do this! :)

*thunderous applause*

I was gearing up for my reply to this thread when I reached this post, and it left me with nothing else to say. Outstanding advice; I hope the OP takes it to heart.

Instead of allowing him sodas, take along some Crystal Light packages. Let him pick out the flavors. I take them out of the boxes for easier packing. Fill up on salads. Watch his bread intake, and keep him away from the ice cream machine. I've seen kids eating that stuff all day long with no parent in sight. There's nothing wrong in eating omelets, everything you've heard about eating fat is a myth. Eating a high carbohydrate diet is what causes excessive fat on the body. If there's no carbs to burn, he'll start burning fat. Keep moving - don't take the elevator anywhere! Walk the stairs, walk up on the running and walking deck. See if he can pick out any flying fish or whatever on the ocean, make it an interesting walk. But most of all have fun!