Murray's Milepost Guide from Skagway to Emerald Lake

Sandy R

For all those who have questions about the drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake... last year DH and I did the drive during our Skagway port stop. Murray lives in Carcross, near Emerald Lake, and was kind enough to create a milepost guide for those of us who were going to do the drive. We ran off his guide and it made the drive, the highlight of our cruise. From beginning to end it took about 5 to 6 hours, driving leisurely with stops along the way. Just a note: not much in the way of food during the drive... in the morning before we disembarked, we made ourselves sandwiches at the buffet and took them along.

Sandy

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

If you have trouble getting the website to come up or type something wrong, type "A Photographic Road Log of the South Klondike Highway" in your search engine box and it will go right to it. (Or at least where you can just click on it.)

We did the drive to Emerald Lake based on Murray's guide in mid-July. It was fabulous. Thanks Murray!!

Our only problem was fog. We left Skagway around 9:30 and as soon as we headed out of town we were socked in. I was driving and literally couldn't see a foot in front of the car until we were close to the Canadian border. We were laughing so hard because my friend kept reading from the guide "look to the left to see X" and "look to the right for a magnificent view of Y" and Murray could have been making it all up for all we could see.

On the way back (around 2) the fog had cleared and we could see all Murray had described. It IS beautiful!

I highly recommend this drive. It was a great day.

Joanie

Just a note: not much in the way of food during the drive... in the morning before we disembarked, we made ourselves sandwiches at the buffet and took them along.

Sandy

If you go past Carcross about 4 miles, there is a wonderful little cafe/bakery with lots of homemade goodies. One of our best meals. I think it is called the Cinnamon Cafe

Shirley... we did stop at the Cinnamon Cafe. Perhaps we're too particular but we didn't like what we saw. Also, the owners told us they were selling the Cafe so whoever bought it, maybe improved the quality of the food.

Archived