Important Info for Anyone Driving to San Pedro or Long Beach

JohnS43

Major construction began today (5/10) on the Gerald Desmond Bridge replacement project. This bridge is one of two that connect the Long Beach port area with the San Pedro area. Here's a link http://www.newgdbridge.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=22795 to some information about the project.

It's recommended that if you're driving to San Pedro, you do not take the 710 all the way to Long Beach and then take the two bridges west to San Pedro. Either take the 110 all the way south, or connect to it from the 105, the 405 or the 91.

Conversely, if you're driving to the Long Beach (Carnival) cruise terminal, take the 710 all the way to the port; do not take the 110 to San Pedro and head east on the two bridges.

And you might want to allow extra time, especially on weekdays, as everyone will be trying to figure out the detours and closures at first. (This project is going to last for at least two years.)

I think I will have to check this out on a map! We will be going to long beach from Santa Clarita, so I'm not sure if this will affect our route?

Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This won't affect you. You will take either the 5 or the 405 to the 710. The bridge is a connector between Long Beach and San Pedro.

It's easy to picture this...

The harbor is pretty big...

There are two mouths to the harbor with Terminal Island between them...

San Pedro is on the Western Side, Long Beach on the Eastern side...

The road between San Pedro and Long Beach across the front of the harbor crosses, west to east, from San Pedro, the Vincent Thomas Bridge (over the San Pedro channel), then the length of Terminal Island, then the Gerald Desmond Bridge, into Long Beach...

The 110 freeway heads south from LA into San Pedro, the 710 heads south into Long Beach...

If either bridge is out (in this case the Desmond), then you can't get across the front of the harbor....you've got to go all the way around...

It should not affect anyone coming from outside the harbor area as long as they take the correct freeway to the correct side...

Only ones it should affect are those needing to get from Long Beach to a ship in San Pedro...or those staying in San Pedro needing to get to a ship in Long Beach...

The only other note of point is that a portion of the 710 approaching Long Beach may be affected, so, expect delays or slight detours if going to the Carnival pier...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Excerpt from various emails sent by http://www.newgdbridge.com

(Gerald Desmond Bridge Project)

Will I be able to get to the Queen Mary and downtown Long Beach from San Pedro, Torrance, Palos Verde and other South Bay communities?

Yes. For the near term, eastbound Ocean Boulevard heading into downtown Long Beach will not be affected by bridge construction work. However, as new connectors and on- and off-ramps are built near the Pico Avenue and 710 interchanges, there will be long-term closures and detours that will have impacts to Ocean Boulevard traffic. Motorists who do not have business at the ports will be encouraged to avoid taking the direct route from San Pedro to Long Beach via Ocean Blvd., and consider taking alternate routes. The detour routes during certain phases of construction will divert traffic off Ocean Boulevard and onto a stretch of Pico Avenue that is heavily used by trucks serving terminals at the Port of Long Beach.

As part of the Gerald Desmond Bridge Replacement Project, the southbound I-710 to downtown Long Beach and the Queen Mary will remain open during bridge construction, with the exception of one short-term closure. During this short period, commuters and general motorists are advised to use Shoreline Drive and alternate routes to reach downtown.

(info re: getting to the Queen Mary/Carnival)

Demolishing the ramp will require a future, short-term closure of southbound Harbor Scenic Drive, which passes under the connector. Southbound Harbor Scenic Drive is the primary route from the I-710 Freeway to Piers F-J, the Queen Mary, the cruise terminal and south waterfront hotels. Southbound Harbor Scenic Drive is scheduled to close at 5 p.m. Friday, May 23, and reopen by 6 a.m. Tuesday, May 27. To access these areas during the Memorial Day weekend, the detour route is the southbound I-710 Freeway onto southbound Pico Avenue to Harbor Plaza West. However, Long Beach visitors heading via the southbound I-710 to the Queen Mary, cruise terminal, and hotels are encouraged to use the “Downtown Long Beach” exit and Shoreline Drive.

Major construction began today (5/10) on the Gerald Desmond Bridge replacement project. This bridge is one of two that connect the Long Beach port area with the San Pedro area. Here's a link http://www.newgdbridge.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=22795 to some information about the project.

It's recommended that if you're driving to San Pedro, you do not take the 710 all the way to Long Beach and then take the two bridges west to San Pedro. Either take the 110 all the way south, or connect to it from the 105, the 405 or the 91.

Conversely, if you're driving to the Long Beach (Carnival) cruise terminal, take the 710 all the way to the port; do not take the 110 to San Pedro and head east on the two bridges.

And you might want to allow extra time, especially on weekdays, as everyone will be trying to figure out the detours and closures at first. (This project is going to last for at least two years.)

Thanks for the heads up........and what timing! We are planning a cruise from San Pedro in October so will be watching for any updates or additional info that might be posted here since we're driving over from Arizona! Thnx!

Thanks for informing everyone. I remember seeing a story or two on the local news. As some have stated, those of us coming from the northwest, such as the Valley, would take the 405 (my choice) or the 5 to the Harbor to get to San Pedro. But for those coming or going to Long Beach, they need to take this into consideration and perhaps add time to their schedule to account for extra traffic on the alternate routes.

As a local, here's a simpler explanation.

The freeways are the top and sides of a square. I-405 is the top edge. San Pedro is at the bottom left corner; Long Beach, bottom right. The bridge construction is along the bottom side of the square.

Just choose the correct freeway south of the 405...if you're headed to SP, use the 110 freeway (left side). Long Beach- use the 710 freeway (right side).

Easy, neh??

We live in SE Long Beach. My husband had a meeting in Wilmington on the first work day after the bridge closure.

He said all the surface streets were a mess! Very crowded with cars and trucks.

Follow the simple instructions above--going to port of Long Beach (Carnival) take the 710 (Long Beach Freeway).

Going to the port of Los Angeles (San Pedro, World Cruise Center, generally other lines other than Carnival, but there are some anomalies) take the 110 (Harbor Freeway).

As a local, here's a simpler explanation.

The freeways are the top and sides of a square. I-405 is the top edge. San Pedro is at the bottom left corner; Long Beach, bottom right. The bridge construction is along the bottom side of the square.

Just choose the correct freeway south of the 405...if you're headed to SP, use the 110 freeway (left side). Long Beach- use the 710 freeway (right side).

Easy, neh??

Oh Yes.............very simple explanation for one not familiar with the area.....Thnx ;)

SB Harbor Scenic Drive to Close Memorial Day Weekend....

Southbound Harbor Scenic Drive will be closed from 6 p.m. Friday, May 23 through 6 a.m. Tuesday, May 27.

The closure is to accommodate demolition of a section of the southbound I-710 Freeway to westbound Ocean Boulevard connector above Harbor Scenic Drive. A new connector will be built, along with the new bridge. The Gerald Desmond Bridge will remain open during construction. Traffic heading southbound on the I-710 Freeway will be detoured onto Pico Avenue (Piers B, C, D, E exit for Terminal Island). Detour signs will be in place.

For Port of Long Beach traffic headed to Piers F-J, download a detour map here.

Motorists headed to the Queen Mary, south waterfront hotels or the cruise terminal are encouraged to travel through downtown Long Beach. From the southbound I-710 Freeway, follow signs for "Downtown Long Beach - Convention Center - Aquarium” then the “Shoreline Drive” off-ramp.

A short-term closure Memorial Day weekend of southbound Harbor Scenic Drive at the southbound I-710 (Long Beach) Freeway will require travelers headed to Queen Mary-area destinations, including the Carnival cruise terminal, south waterfront hotels and the Port of Long Beach Piers F-J, to take alternate routes.

Southbound Harbor Scenic Drive at the southbound 710 Freeway is scheduled to close at 6 p.m. Friday, May 23, and reopen by 6 a.m. Tuesday, May 27, for construction related to the Port’s Gerald Desmond Bridge Replacement Project.

Access to downtown Long Beach via the 710 Freeway at 6th Street, Broadway and Shoreline Drive will not be affected by the closure.

To access Piers F-J during the Memorial Day weekend, the detour route is the 710 Freeway onto southbound Pico Avenue to Harbor Plaza West. Long Beach visitors heading via the 710 Freeway to the Queen Mary, cruise terminal and hotels are encouraged to use the “Downtown Long Beach” exit and Shoreline Drive to Queensway.