Jewel of the Seas Review 3-10 May So. Caribbean

Today marked the first day of several guided tours during this vacation. I knew we wanted to do the rainforest and was having difficulty deciding which company to book. So I asked the El Convento for a recommendation and they stated I could book through them and they would arrange it with E&B Tours. I was happy we did it this way. It costs $62.00 per person for the half day rainforest with no beach at the end, which meant we left at 9am and returned about 230pm instead of about 430pm. The driver picked us up at El Convento at 9am which was very convenient. I'd not found any company that would come to the hotel and I suppose that is because the hotels want you to book through them. Worked for us. We swung by LaConcha to pick up several other folks and headed off to the rainforest with a full van of about 13 people and a great tour guide named Joey. He wore a headset with speaker the whole time so it was easy for all the hear him in the van.

Love the review. I am sailing out of San Juan next October and want to spend a few days there before the cruise.

Thank you! You won't regret spending a few pre cruise days in San Juan! :)

Our first stop (besides the visitors center) was the tower. Here are a few photos of the tower and some shots from the tower. Great views and another magnificent day for photos. The rainforest typically gets rain (news flash! lol) but according to Joey they had been in a "drought" for a week or two. I was happy about that as it made for a more comfortable day (even though I was out about $5.00 on ponchos that I bought and packed. :rolleyes:). BTW, the rainy season is June to November in San Juan. Anyway, on to the photos:

ipr5ft.jpg

2hem0yo.jpg

14wq0de.jpg

25i6u5d.jpg

21jt560.jpg

We left the tower and drove to the entrance of the La Mina Trail. Joey explained the hike is 1 3/4 miles total and they are one of few tour operators that drop you off at the beginning of the trail and meet you down the road at the other end. That is a VERY good thing as going down to the falls and then hiking back up to where he dropped us off would have been really, really tough. This way, the trail was all down hill to the fall and not nearly as much of an incline to get to the other end down the road. Regardless, it is a moderate to strenuous trail and can be very difficult for some. I'll posts pics (surprise, surprise, right? lol) so you get an idea. I really thought hard about whether I should try it. I was very sore from several miles walking OSJ the day before, I have neck disk compression issues, and overall out of shape. So, I just took a deep breath and off I went while DH skipped along beside me. :rolleyes:

I am really enjoying your review. We will be sailing on the Jewel in February. We are staying a week before the cruise and then the week after the cruise, our sons will be joining us. You pictures are great and give us something to look forward to.

I am really enjoying your review. We will be sailing on the Jewel in February. We are staying a week before the cruise and then the week after the cruise, our sons will be joining us. You pictures are great and give us something to look forward to.

Awwwww....thank you for your comments! Very happy my review is helping and happy for you that you will have so much time in San Juan with your sons! :):)

Enjoying your review very much. DW and I got off the Jewel on the third, this will be like a flashback for me!!

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

Thank you! Our waitress on the rooftop terrace above St. Germain restaurant mentioned the weather was not nearly as hot and humid the week before and very pleasant. I hope you were able to enjoy it!

We stopped at a roadside diner right inside the rainforest and enjoyed some authentic cuisine and coconut water and a skewer of chicken right off the grill. Very good and very reasonable prices. They also offered beer and pina coladas:

2vxj7d1.jpg

110zr7r.jpg

We returned to the El Convento in time for a slightly longer power nap and the traditional social hour. By this time, we had covered about 6 or 7 miles in two days and I was really hoping the elevators worked properly on the ship. :p

We had dinner at a really good restaurant that again I highly recommend for more than one reason. Name of the restaurant is Il Bacaro. A couple we met staying at the El Convento raved about this place. DH had the filet mignon with penna pasta in a very good cream sauce and I had the lobster ravioli. Very filling and we could have split one dish. Sorry, no photos but it was another small, quaint local restaurant. And the "other" reason I'm a little reluctant to admit because someone might actually know the wait staff and manager and that would be embarrassing. :o But, I just can't resist telling you, ladies, that the waitstaff and what appeared to be the manager are all men and no one ever on any Batchelor series could hold a candle to these extremely handsome men. :)

That closes out pre-cruise day three and now we finally get to the ship...

Edited by surfnsun

We hung out by the pool on El Convento's rooftop in the morning and then left about 1030 to go to the ship. The taxi driver accommodated us on the way to stop by the Harley store so DH could get his San Juan Harley t-shirt. We were at the ship at 1100 and they had just started boarding. Embarkation was a breeze even without the priority lines. We tipped the baggage porter very well and he put our bags on the cart closest to him instead of the back cart were some others were being loaded. I'd like to think that is what helped us get our baggage quicker as they arrived in the stateroom by 145pm. Here is pretty much the first thing you see when you get on the ship and it is the main Centrum area where all the drink packages are being sold:

35bvz0i.jpg

This is the only time I remembered to take a photo of the day of the week on the elevator:

33pdgg5.jpg

I snapped a few photos of Tides dining room before we headed to Windjammer:

5jv8nb.jpg

260u39l.jpg

We always cruise with a balcony and this was our first aft balcony. We loved it in spite of the long hallway walk (pic on that later). Here are some shots of the stateroom and balcony:

2w6z4aa.jpg

eq0p2.jpg

And the typical sized bathroom where you can sit on the toilet while washing your hair in the sink and sticking your legs in the shower and shaving them. Saves soooo much time. :p

10witk6.jpg

wt6ng7.jpg

2a7tpbc.jpg

Beautiful rainbow taken through the window at aft Safari lounge:

2yux9o3.jpg

Sailaway photo:

2afedyq.jpg

The governor's mansion from the water and you can see the church up the hill and slightly to the right of the mansion:

rs7imc.jpg

but taking a break for a minute or two. Can't decide if I should post some more ship photos now or go straight to our first full day on the ship and our St. Maarten tour....anybody have a preference? Y'all still with me? :D

Following! Taking this trip in October. Did you also visit St. Croix?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

hinwant to make sure. One you are sitting down on the plane facing the pilot. That whoa you mean sit in left side right?

hinwant to make sure. One you are sitting down on the plane facing the pilot. That whoa you mean sit in left side right?

That is correct. Sitting down and facing the pilot and sit on the left side.