Jewel of the Seas Review 3-10 May So. Caribbean

What was ship time? Was it the same as Puerto Rico? We have some independent excursions booked and I don't want to be late.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The same. :)

I'll just start this by quoting the saying "to each his own". Personally, we love El Convento for the location and the experience of a small, luxury hotel. It is right in the heart of Old San Juan and we like that experience and "culture". The rooms are luxurious and you feel pampered just being in the room. They have a wine and cheese social that is no additional cost to participate every evening for one hour starting at 1800. The rooftop pool is super small (maybe 10x12) and there is one Jacuzzi. So, don't go here for the pool and beach experience. Although, they do have an agreement with two properties (LaConcha and Courtyard) to use those facilities via shuttle. We had so much fun touring Old San Juan we didn't even use the beach option and we had PLENTY of pool and beach once cruising.

LOVE your review! Thanks so much, specifically, for sharing details and pics of El Convento! We love to spend a few days in OSJ before setting sail and are ready to try a small local hotel and sounds like this is the one! We'll be on the Jewell (first time!) next March...WOOHOO! Looks like a beautiful ship!

Edited by AZ1Red

Chops did have the parmesean potatoes as well as the baked potato & sauces & porterhouse steak that have been noted in other posts to be gone from the "new" menu so this is the old menu as far as I can tell. I thought I remembered seeing the surf & turf but it doesn't show on the menu I posted below:

14935mo.jpg

Is there a way to make reservation to Chops from home?

Yes, you can use Pre-cruise planner section of Royal's website to book specialty restaurants. When you do this, you pay in full via credit card at the time you make the reservation.

Yes you can make reservations in advance but i believe there is no advantage.

Firstly if you make reservations in advance then you have to pay in full prior to sailing.

Secondly the Specialty restaurants weren't very busy and they offered a 2 package discount of 20% off and you won't get that discount on prepaid reservations.

Finally if you book on the ship you can use you shipboard credits.

However if you are staying in a suite the Concierge will introduce himself about 1 week before sailing and can prebook your reservations and no prepayment is required.

Yes you can make reservations in advance but i believe there is no advantage.

Firstly if you make reservations in advance then you have to pay in full prior to sailing.

Secondly the Specialty restaurants weren't very busy and they offered a 2 package discount of 20% off and you won't get that discount on prepaid reservations.

Finally if you book on the ship you can use you shipboard credits.

However if you are staying in a suite the Concierge will introduce himself about 1 week before sailing and can prebook your reservations and no prepayment is required.

So true, Doc. We booked ahead on line thru the website and then we were stopped within the first 10 minutes we boarded while touring the ship and offered a discount if we made a reservation...and I don't think we had to book both specialty restaurants to get the discount.

LOVE your review! Thanks so much, specifically, for sharing details and pics of El Convento! We love to spend a few days in OSJ before setting sail and are ready to try a small local hotel and sounds like this is the one! We'll be on the Jewell (first time!) next March...WOOHOO! Looks like a beautiful ship!

Glad you liked the review so much, Robyn! We've stayed at El Convento several times as we love it! I think I forgot to mention if you book on-line, you might be able to find a midweek special discount for all nights but Friday and Saturday night. Happy sailing! It will be here before you know it!

Me enjoying a fine day in Barbados on the Elegance

212wqo2.jpg

Pete checking to see what's under the Kilt

5d3q0g.jpg

Peg and i playing the Shell Game

2vtb0v9.jpg

Former Fly Boy impersonating a Navy Seal

1zfojlu.jpg

Pete doing his best Steve Martin imitation..a Wild and Crazy guy

293u6ox.jpg

If you're looking for a reasonably priced underwater camera then Peg and i can certainly recommend the Pentax Wg-3 GPS 2013 model...it was very easy to use and took great shots above as well as below the water.

The video feature was simple too and at a price of just around 200.00 it was a great value.

Stingray City in Antigua

2mfywlu.jpg

105qxdg.jpg

2a0hw9c.jpg

Prior to choosing the Extreme Circum Nav tour we had thought of going to Prickly Pear Island..the photo below will show that it's quite tiny.

205tflx.jpg

2yvnloo.jpg

2a0eq3d.jpg

I was very impressed with this camera...it totally exceeded my expectations as a camera that you could use for all your needs on a cruise like this.

The colours and crispness of the details are so vivid and lifelike and a true representation of what I saw.

The camera indeed does have a ring flash which is also used for macro shots.

Peggy used the camera for her whole trip while I had a second camera for dryer/safer usage....the one with the "Foot Pedal" ;)

As Peggy mentioned we have about 2500+ pictures between us so you're bound to get lucky with some great shots...

Did the Pentax have a flash? Must have to get that kind of colors show up in pictures of the coral.

EXCELLENT REVIEW.. I want to cruise with you all. Reminds me of our cruise in 96.We stay in touch till this day and visit often. Cruise buddies are the best! Now I just have to wait 316 more days:D thanks again!

Glad you are enjoying our review...

Peggy,do we still have room for 2 more in those padded cabins or are they all sold out?

EXCELLENT REVIEW.. I want to cruise with you all. Reminds me of our cruise in 96.We stay in touch till this day and visit often. Cruise buddies are the best! Now I just have to wait 316 more days:D thanks again!

Peggy,do we still have room for 2 more in those padded cabins or are they all sold out?

LOL! I'm searching desperately for the padded cabins sale! :):D

Miami, Fla – The American Psychiatric Association and Carnival Cruise Lines have announced a three year partnership which will provide a fun place for patients to enjoy treatment while allowing the APA’s 36,000 member base and their pharmaceutical partners to let their “inner child” go wild.

There will also be an opportunity for patients to avail themselves of shock treatment (ECT) and/or psycho-surgery in a fun, non-medical environment. The first cruise is scheduled to depart May 22, 2012 from the Port of Miami on the newly christened Princess ******.

Perfect!....but it appears we "missed the boat". :D

N-E-Way...a few more random pics...

Old San Juan street scene:

2yke2rc.jpg

Another one from the walkway around the governor's mansion:

2yugl90.jpg

Different angle of the iguana at El Morro:

2els1a1.jpg

Did you know El Morro fort is shaped like a bulls head? See the nose and the horns?:

slpmbk.jpg

And this new species of fish is rumored to be called "docbait" (whohaha those of you that are a fan of the Nemo movie will get that):

2ps1ze9.jpg

I just realized that the last picture is none other than me.

The NSA has nothing on Peg:)...i bet the NSA can't find you underwater:)

Perfect!....but it appears we "missed the boat". :D

N-E-Way...a few more random pics...

Old San Juan street scene:

Another one from the walkway around the governor's mansion:

Different angle of the iguana at El Morro:

Did you know El Morro fort is shaped like a bulls head? See the nose and the horns?:

And this new species of fish is rumored to be called "docbait" (whohaha those of you that are a fan of the Nemo movie will get that):

2ps1ze9.jpg

Great review! We enjoyed sailing with you and chatting with you for so long on our wonderful roll call. I have just found your review while at work way too much time reading it, but it was still so addicting! At least we weren't busy at work tonight.[emoji50]

I have been working on my review offline and will start posting it Sunday. I hesitated to write one because many people submitted one, but we seem to have had some different experiences. We did the back to back so that is why I am so late getting it all started. Your review was great Entertainment and really helped motivate me to get in the gear.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Great review! We enjoyed sailing with you and chatting with you for so long on our wonderful roll call. I have just found your review while at work way too much time reading it, but it was still so addicting! At least we weren't busy at work tonight.[emoji50]

I have been working on my review offline and will start posting it Sunday. I hesitated to write one because many people submitted one, but we seem to have had some different experiences. We did the back to back so that is why I am so late getting it all started. Your review was great Entertainment and really helped motivate me to get in the gear.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hi Ginny! Nice to hear from you and thank you for your kind comments.

Happy to hear you intend to do a review. I am sure many will enjoy it. I remember looking for recent Jewel reviews before the cruise and they were not easy to find. So go for it and I look forward to reading it!:)

Hi All! For those of you following this review...I need to correct an error in what we thought was John Jacobs mother who we met during our Antigua visit was actually his grandmother and she is 83 years old.

I'm also very happy and thankful to report that I just learned this evening that Emelda has a tour booked tomorrow from someone who read this review. While that was not really my intent, it makes writing it so worth while that such a great person who made our trip very special is getting another booking and I've no doubt he will have a great tour. :):):)

Edited by surfnsun

I absolutely loved your review. You have a wonderful wit and writing style, and your pictures were fantastic; plus those people that kept getting in your pictures were just so darn cute! We will be doing a B2B on the Jewel next February and I really got some great ideas for San Juan and different port excursions from your review. Did you provide contact info for Emelda and how many passengers does her car hold? Sorry if I missed that info.

Again, thanks for a fantastic, fun review.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using Tapatalk