Jewel of the Seas Review 3-10 May So. Caribbean

Enjoying your review. We leave in just over 3 weeks and it is so fun to see what we have to look forward to.

Great you are enjoying it and great you leave so soon! I promise I'll make good progress in the evenings this work week.

I really enjoy reading and seeing this photos. This is such a great deal of FYI. We go this coming oct. Now go take your break

Thank you for your comments and thank you for approving my break. LOL :D:D

question about your room, what was the category again? also, is the sofa in the room a pull out sofa?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Category was D2 and yes...pretty sure it was a pull out sofa. Here is another shot with the curtain partially closed:

jra3x3.jpg

Thank you! looks wonderful and the couch looks very comfy even just to sit on

We were in an ocean view on the Liberty in April and the couch was huge but uncomfortable and the pillows on the bed were rock hard

I am enjoying your review and I love the pictures. I just don't understand why all of you reivewers have to let your real life interfere with my reading pleasure.:D Looking forward to some more whenever you have time.

Thank you! looks wonderful and the couch looks very comfy even just to sit on

We were in an ocean view on the Liberty in April and the couch was huge but uncomfortable and the pillows on the bed were rock hard

You are welcome! Yes, the couch was very comfortable, although the beds and pillows would probably be considered hard by most.

What I liked about the bed area were the two lamps on either side and they had a reading light option. Great for when DH wanted to read before going to sleep. On the contrary, DH informed me I never lasted more than 6 seconds before falling asleep and my record was 3 seconds. We love cruising because it's the best sleep we've ever had. :)

Edited by surfnsun

Great job so far! still working up the energy to write my own! :p

Thank you! I bet your trying to work up the energy because Mom and Dad have you doing chores, like cleaning the pool, right? Better get that pool ready to sell all those tickets to the neighbors in Canada that can't wait to use it! :D

I am enjoying your review and I love the pictures. I just don't understand why all of you reivewers have to let your real life interfere with my reading pleasure.:D Looking forward to some more whenever you have time.

Thank you! Hahahahaha! Then you'll be happy to notice I'm up a little early with some time to play before work...so enjoy a little more this morning! :)

It's always surreal for us on the first day of the cruise. We can't wait to get out on the open sea and watch land disappear into the distance and get that totally isolated, disconnected from reality, peaceful feeling. But first, one must do one last domestic chore for a week and unpack suitcases. That is usually the time when I have the most energy to do a chore so quickly.

With the unpacking done, we soon met our stateroom attendant. Our cruising tradition after appropriate introductions is to immediately tip him $20.00 and ask for two robes, ice in the bucket each day and to clean out the fridge. He happily accommodated all requests except cleaning out the fridge. We purchased the premium drink package but the Evian water and canned sodas in the fridge are apparently not included in the package. No biggie. He informed us we should simply push them to the side. We love getting the robes as they are so comfortable to sit out on the balcony in the morning with breakfast and change into during evening after a full day of excursion and ship activities.

Word of caution, as many of you probably already know...be very, very careful walking around the ship. Probably a good idea to leave shoes with heels at home. Save the room in the suitcase. The highest I wore was a slight wedge. There are ledges and stairs and such everywhere. Take your time and pay attention. Two folks we met had issues. One broke her toe and had to use a wheelchair or cane after the first day of the cruise and another twisted her knee and was in pain for most of the cruise. Take it slow and be cautious. Ok...off my rant now. :)

More random thoughts later...

N-E-Way....so we finished unpacking and headed out to tour the ship a little more and attend the unofficial meet and greet with folks from our roll call. It was a nice gathering (hi all if you are out there! :)). There were several folks from Arizona that obviously loved to cruise and were having a very good time. DH happened to be standing next to one of them and helped raised the Arizona Cruisers flag and he promptly turned to the gentlemen holding the other end and asked him if they were from North Dakota. It was about that time I started praying that the crew not let DH anywhere near the ship horn. :rolleyes::D

We had a nice dinner in the main dining room. We always chose MyTime dining to take advantage of the flexibility of the program. We sat with six other tablemates who were all happy and festive and excited to be on the cruise. One couple was a little disappointed they received their luggage only 5 minutes before dinner (which at that time it was about 6pm).

Muster drill was 8pm and easier than I expected. We were happy we didn't have to take our floats with us and put them on for the drill. It's been a while since we cruised so maybe that is not something new. We ended up going outside on deck for the drill and either it was a cool evening or they had air flow out there. It was surprisingly comfortable and pleasant.

We did not attend any shows the entire cruise. You'll understand why as I go through the review. We've been to so many shows on cruises, we chose to use our time otherwise. Sorry I can't comment on how good/or not good they were. Besides, that is really subjective anywhere, right?

Also, it's hard to say whether or not you'll like the food. Everyone has different taste but I will just say I never had a "bad" dish.

Ok...I'll try to post a few ship pictures quickly and then return for more sometime this evening.

May 8th was the 10th anniversary of the first sailing of Jewel. Some of the pictures from the centrum area has balloons because of that celebration as I took these on that day. The first picture with all the shows all the balloons that were dropped into the centrum at noon on that day:

s689q1.jpg

s3pncg.jpg

20b0hg6.jpg

20z4tux.jpg

Our favorite bar was the Champagne bar. Nice, small, , cozy, comfy seating areas with nice views and great service.

333botd.jpg

Love your review, very nice!!!:)

Reader

Thank u Reader. DH will especially appreciate ur comments as he got stuck doing all the laundry and putting away groceries yesterday.:)

More thoughts during the train ride to work..

We met very nice people on this cruise including many from our roll call. Its unusual for us to socialize so much on a cruise as I'm far from being social...so much better on-line...while DH can be the life of the party.

Speaking of parties. ..DH was really impressed that the nuns had it so well at El Convento. What...with a wine and cheese social hour every night and pool and jacuzzi and library with computer and free internet and nightly turndown svc with chocolate on the pillow and classical music playing when u walked in the door.

Me...I'm just happy I wasn't haunted in my sleep last night by someone in the cemetery in desperate need of suntan lotion.

Just a little humour before continuing tonight. :D

Edited by surfnsun

Hey surfnsun! We are counting down to our Jewel cruise out of Puerto Rico on the 24th. Very excited! I was hoping you could answer a quick question. When you get off the plane, is is pretty easy to find the transport to the dock? We paid for it but there are no instructions on where to go, what to look for. I told my husband, either it's going to be a no brainer, or a fiasco! Thanks so much and I am going to look for your review!

The proper way to fly into San Juan is to sit on the left side of the aircraft while facing forward as you will get a great view of Old San Juan and the Condado area. See what I mean in this pic? El Morro fort is to the far left and Condado to the far right with Old San Juan sandwiched in between and you can even see a cruise ship at the port about the middle of the photo.

2wn4qyq.jpg

I will be sailing on the Jewel this August and book my flight months ago and based on this picture I just went in and changed my seat number so that I am on that side of the aircraft. :D