Loved the cruise but Hated the ship!

w4kry

We just got off the Sunshine this morning. The ship was such a disappointment. We read many reviews and kept an open mind about it all. The ship was beautiful but had so many negative points. Water leaks (yeap we saw many buckets), bad smells, lounges way to small, and terrible service in the dining room (we had early dining and waited over 45 minutes for service). Of course there were things we loved, the serenity deck and pool, JiJi restaurant, the sushi bar and the piano bar. It’s a good thing that we don’t cruise for the ship, we loved the ports. We will definitely not book the Sunshine again.

That's funny because we just got off the Sunshine this morning as well and we never saw any leaks/buckets or encountered any bad smells and we were all over that ship from top to bottom several times a day every day.

We enjoyed the ship and crew so much that we are trying to find a way to work another cruise in on her soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Mrs CruisinCritter

We were on Lido deck also and the reason there were buckets and fans was because the housekeeping staff kept having to scrub the carpet daily because some rude adults and children kept spilling soda and ice cream all over the carpets each night. That was our only complaint was the fellow passengers. Most acted as though they were raised in a barn.

Edited by Mrs CruisinCritter

There were several times that we found burgers from Guys that had been spilled on the floor and trampled through or ice cream cones dropped and melting all over. We were in and out of the cabin constantly and someone was always out there scrubbing the carpet to try and get the stains out.

I cruised Sunshine in January and we won't cruise her again because of the dining service, bad smells, shower that flooded the bathroom floor. Looks very nice but Serenity is not very quiet being above facing lido with movie blaring all day. Lido is way to crowded and not enough places to sit with table open deck on Lido (I don't want to eat in a lounger chair but I did all week).

Not only on the Sunshine does this happen, we were just on the Conquest last week, deck 7, people spilled stuff in the hallways crew cleaning up and fans going. Then the night of the past guest party someone must have had way too many freebies, crew had to clean up their stomach contents and more fans going. So, it's not always the ship that disappoints.

I agree, it's not always the ship. I'm sad to say that many years ago we were on a cruise with the DS and he got very seasick. We were hightailing it to our cabin but he, unfortunately, didn't make it and blew lunch in the hallway just before we got to our room. We called housekeeping and they were on it immediately. We went out and apologized to them and they were so nice and said, "Not to worry, it happens several times every cruise." We still felt really bad. :o We offered them a tip but they wouldn't take it. They said, "It's our job." I've never forgotten that.:)

Just off the sunshine myself. Also had a cabin on lido starboard side. Saw one bucket only--on Friday. It was located starboard side half way between the bow and the atrium elevators. There was a small drip (one drop every few seconds) from a sprinkler head. Smelled the "smell" 2 times. Once on lido at the atrium elevators; once on deck 5 outside the red frog. The smell both times wasn't really that terrible IMO and certainly not as bad as the one I smelled several times on the Dream. I had a fabulous time on board personally and LOVED the ship. Our dinning room service was excellent. We had early seating and the latest we ever got out of dinner was 7:30. Food in the main dinning room was just ok IMO. Everything we had was prepared correctly and arrived temperature appropriate. It was just I felt there was nothing "oh my this is awesome" about it. But steakhouse, Cucina, Guys, Blue Iguana, and Bonsi were all fantastic.

My biggest complaint was the crazy loud air conditioner in my cabin. Some nights it sounded like a jet engine going off. I'm not whining too much though because I got to stay In a captain's suite and for that, I'll live with a loud air conditioner all night long!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Ladydarcy1

we were on the lido deck and our floor had buckets and fan drying the carpet daily

I've seen fans drying carpet on The pool deck a lot where people come in from the pool with wet feet and soak the carpet

That's funny because we just got off the Sunshine this morning as well and we never saw any leaks/buckets or encountered any bad smells and we were all over that ship from top to bottom several times a day every day.

We enjoyed the ship and crew so much that we are trying to find a way to work another cruise in on her soon.

My parents boarded yesterday and before they left port my mother said she already LOVED it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just got off the Sunshine this morning. The ship was such a disappointment. We read many reviews and kept an open mind about it all. The ship was beautiful but had so many negative points. Water leaks (yeap we saw many buckets), bad smells, lounges way to small, and terrible service in the dining room (we had early dining and waited over 45 minutes for service). Of course there were things we loved, the serenity deck and pool, JiJi restaurant, the sushi bar and the piano bar. It’s a good thing that we don’t cruise for the ship, we loved the ports. We will definitely not book the Sunshine again.

Thanks for you candid review.

:( I do agree with the lounges being small and the dining room service (I bailed from the dining room myself after night 2). I was worried embarkation day since it seemed so crowded and the flow of people was awkward or limiting.

I was on the sailing before yours and didn't experience any of the other stuff. Sunshine ended up being my #2 favorite of the ships I've sailed. But I think I rank my favorites based on my total vacation experience and not just the ship.

Strange. I look at this situation differently. I would blame the cruisers who dumped the trash and then thanked the ship's crew for having to clean up their mess. That's not a sign of a bad ship but of cruisers without manners.

Yea we don't like to stay on the Lido deck. While convenient it seems more messy and high traffic.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

Casco Bay Kid,

Lido and higher decks tend to have less hallway traffic than most other decks due to the fact that the only passengers in the hallway are staying on that deck and the deck itself has one third the number of occupants on other decks. Granted the central area near the elevators are high traffic areas, but the hallways themselves not so much.

Paul, you're right about the traffic. We rarely encountered anyone other than the folks heading in to the elevators, but the cabin hallways were typically quiet minus the obnoxious drunk or two heading to their cabin in the early hours. Oh yeah, and the folks who didn't realize that you can hold your cabin and balcony doors until they're almost shut to keep them from slamming constantly.

Our neighbors were up between 5-5:30 every morning and since they liked to go out on their balcony several times after waking up, we were awake too. :(

We also just got off Sunshine.

We are experienced cruisers (mostly Disney but also RCI and NCL)

I was worried about this cruise.

We loved it. We booked another while on board.

We saw no buckets. I smelled a few "smells" throughout the cruise but thought nothing of it. It was not a lot nor overwhelming.

I agree I did not like the showers but again.... Not a big deal. If they want to waste towels so I can dry the floor ; so be it.

The good was pretty good. I liked Serenity and found it no louder than any other adult only area on any other line (not Spa) of course if we were near the Lido side we expected it to be loud.

Loved the Dive in movies!

Customer service was great.

We had a pretty good trip. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit the bad reviews/complaints about the Sunshine have had me concerned for my upcoming cruise on her on Saturday (yay) however I've also read a lot of good things about the ship! I always go with an open mind and form my own opinions. I'm pretty easy to please and I'll be on the ocean going to ports I haven't been to before with good friends and no cooking, cleaning or even having to make my own bed, how bad can it be?? I can't wait to find out for myself!!!

While I have never hated any ship that I was on, there are some that I liked or even loved a lot more than others. So, I can totally understand why the OP feels this way about her cruise.

I have not been on the Sunshine, and would not rule out a cruise on the ship, but the issues encountered could put a damper on one's feelings toward the ship, even though a person makes the best of their cruise, and either makes their own fun, or finds it somewhere on board.

Thanks for your feedback on the Sunshine.