Best places to eat....ALASKA cruise

appygirl82

I am sailing on Grand Princess on 9/7 for the Tracy Arm Fjord and Alaska cruise. Stops are Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria B.C.

Can anyone tell me what are some fantastic places to eat in those places? My group of people going is a bunch of "foodies"....looking to eat some wonderful stuff!

:)

I can't say that any of those ports offer what I have found to be truly fantastic food, but fresh fish can certainly be found. Alaska isn't exactly the place for haute cuisine. That's not to say the food was bad, it's just wasn't memorable.

I just look for fresh fish in ports like Juneau and Ketchikan and I'm happy.

We had an English tea at Murchie's in Victoria, which was nice. You know, tea, scones and other goodies. The Empress Hotel has a high tea that cost much more but I haven't experienced a high tea there. I have in other cities during our travels and thought Murchie's was just fine.

Edited by paylady

I have never been myself but many of my friends swear by the high tea at the Empress in Victoria.

I'm curious to hear of any must stop places in Juneau as well. It doesn't need to be fancy, just really good. I look forward to reading any recommendations. :)

must stop places in Juneau as well. It doesn't need to be fancy, just really good.

it was zephyr but is now called salt

if you have wheels, the douglas pub or the sandbar for fish&chips

but these are not fast food joints. if you have a tight and rigid time schedule ....

it was zephyr but is now called salt

if you have wheels, the douglas pub or the sandbar for fish&chips

but these are not fast food joints. if you have a tight and rigid time schedule ....

Thank you. :) I'll look further into these!

I am sailing on Grand Princess on 9/7 for the Tracy Arm Fjord and Alaska cruise. Stops are Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria B.C.

Can anyone tell me what are some fantastic places to eat in those places? My group of people going is a bunch of "foodies"....looking to eat some wonderful stuff!

:)

Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Annabelle's in Ketchikan. Can't go wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you will be in Anchorage we had great food at the Glacierbrew house. You can google it for reviews. Glad we made reservations in advance of our trip.

Our tour bus will be stopping in Anchorage for lunch. I made reservations for our group of 6 at the Glacier Brewhouse when they open @ 11am. Just hope we have time for it!!;) Not sure how long the tour bus gives you for lunch!:eek: Do you think we can be in and out in enough time?

Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau. Annabelle's in Ketchikan. Can't go wrong!

I've read about Tracey's and see that they serve King crab!!:p My mouth is watering already!;)

As someone who lives in Alaska I find Tracy's overpriced for the product. I love king crab, but I'm not that impressed with Tracy's Crab Shak.

Yes, they are pricey! Any other suggestions for king crab in Juneau? Annabelle's in Ketchikan was very good and in an historic bldg across from the cruise ship docks. Think they were a little cheaper than Tracy's.

In Juneau:

For convenience as well as decent seafood: The Twisted Fish (by the tram)

A decent steak: Hangar on the Wharf (not cheap, but a good balance of seafood and meat items on their menu)

Fish and Chips: Sandbar and Grill (Have to drive there. Seconding bottom-dragger's suggestion)

Off the Beaten Path: Sandpiper Cafe (about 1 mile from the tram, about 1 block from the state museum)

If you are looking for King Crab, then Tracy's is the place to go. I've had better crab than there, but I still make a stop there once or twice a year. I loathe the seating arrangements though. I hate having to fight for a table after spending $100 on a bucket of crab. The Twisted Fish usually has king crab as well, which is a good compromise if one person wants king crab and another doesn't.

Edited by slider728

As someone who lives in Alaska I find Tracy's overpriced for the product. I love king crab, but I'm not that impressed with Tracy's Crab Shak.

I see you are from Fairbanks. We will have several days there on our own. Where & what do you recommend for restaurants? I think our tour is staying at Sophie's Station.

Mary Lou

I've had it at Tracy's and was very impressed but I'm not used to eating it much. Where do you suggest tourists eat king crab ? Thanx