Ballroom dancng on Ventura

yesididit

Hello all, on Ventura soon and looking on P&O website, I'm struggling to find a dance floor bigger enough for me to swing my legs! Is it just the tiny one at the bottom of the stairs in the lobby, rather small for 3000 passengers. Is there any ballroom dancing? Thank you

As per the previous reply the dancing is only in the Atrium and it is normally large enough for the number of dancers. My friends have just been on the Ventura and said the floor was about to be repaired and that there was a lot of sequence dancers. Normally its about 50/50 but unless Ballroom and Latin dancers get up then Sequence does take over a bit.

David

On Azura in January. Dancing in the Atrium. Ok it's fairly small but like another poster says it was big enough for the number of dancers. If there is a good number then yes it will be cramped.

Means you just have to dance strictly in line of dance with no change of direction or reverses.

Two years ago we used to Dance in the show lounge on the deck where the photos are.

There is a good link on u tube if you put in dancing on Azura. Azure is identical to Ventura.

We dance on every cruise we go on and the Atrium floor was fine.

As you say Paul & Col its all about the line of dance. Everything goes not too bad if you follow it. However we get overtaken more times on the Azura dance floor than we do on a motorway. :)

David & Barbara

If you are particularly keen on Ballroom dancing, you may find that Cunard is a better choice of cruise line. IIRC they do cater for this a lot better, with proper ballrooms and dance floors.

If you are a keen ballroom dancer then small floors are a complete waste of time. On P & O the best ballroom and latin dancing was always on Oriana although the circular floor on the Aurora is not too bad.

As a previous poster says, Cunard have bigger floors but sometimes their dance bands have problems playing correct dance tempos for British dancers.

Does anyone know if Natural High still play on Oriana? For many years (under Johnny Baxter) they were considered to be the best dance band at sea.

Slow Foxtrot

I musn't be a "keen ballroom dancer" then.:):)

I dance mainly Latin but the dance floor is very small for ballroom dancing obviously.

However for most people and the number that dance then its OK.

If there were more dancers then P&O would move the dancing to the Malabar or Manhatten.

Edited by dgs1956

Wow, thank you all for your replies :)

I will go on Cunard one day, just for the dancing, I could afford the ticket but not the onboard expenses!

Looks like a catch 22, small floors equals few dancers, they won't do larger floors until more dancers, bit like a sequence dance, going round and round. I like jive and rock and roll but can never stay up late enough to see if the night clubs put anything old enough :) dear me, never happy are we?

Been on Oriana and could just fit in a turn before the corners, I blame the silly wine waiter for filling my wine glass up every two minutes! Something that I actually hated.

I dance mainly Latin but the dance floor is very small for ballroom dancing obviously.

However for most people and the number that dance then its OK.

If there were more dancers then P&O would move the dancing to the Malabar or Manhatten.

Maybe enthusiastic dancers avoid Ventura because of the poor dance facilities. Cunard ships have decent size floors (but obviously not comparable to land-based venues) and the dancing is invariably busy every night. On special 'Ball' nights it can become very busy indeed. And, of course, they usually have around half a dozen dance-hosts to dance with single lady passengers. Things are easier during the dance-band breaks when there are periods of dancing to recorded music.

Oriana always had a dedicated dance floor (Harlequins) and very good music, plus some very good dance teachers. Not been aboard for around 18 months so not sure how things are now.

Slow Foxtrot

Wow, thank you all for your replies :)

I will go on Cunard one day, just for the dancing, I could afford the ticket but not the onboard expenses!

Looks like a catch 22, small floors equals few dancers, they won't do larger floors until more dancers, bit like a sequence dance, going round and round. I like jive and rock and roll but can never stay up late enough to see if the night clubs put anything old enough :) dear me, never happy are we?

Been on Oriana and could just fit in a turn before the corners, I blame the silly wine waiter for filling my wine glass up every two minutes! Something that I actually hated.

Obviously Cunard has better dance floors and no doubt most dancers do avoid Azura and Ventura. I'm not disagreeing that the Ventura and Azura floors are small and the oval shape is difficult to negotiate. It's unfortunate that it wasn't made bigger and rectangular. As was said previously if people follow the line of dance then you can Ballroom dance on it. I have also done plenty of Jive and Rock n Roll on it with no difficulty.

The dance teachers on the Azura are normally very good. In fact the ones from our last cruise, Adelmo and Leah, are on Britains Got Talent as part of Kings and Queens.

Perhaps Yesididit you'll enjoy the friendly and relaxed atmosphere on the Azura and Ventura dance floors. I'd love to hear your view when you have had your cruise.

David

Will do David. On the same theme, I've just been looking on P&O web site and can't find much info regarding the bars and live music, do any of the bars have a dance floor at all? Perhaps not ballroom, may by just either side of the hand bags! As you do, or used to do

Both the show lounges have dance floors and there is often dancing in there. Unfortunately not ballroom anymore as they only use the Atrium now. The aft bar has a lovely wooden floor and quite large, the middle bar has a strange shaped floor but lots of live music going on.

The Havana has a caberet act on then probably dancing starts around 11 around the handbags. :) The other bar, East, will usually have a cabaret act and occassionally a bit dancing.

We usually go on the Azura and have danced every night on 4 week back to backs. At home we dance Ballroom and Latin on Saturday and Sunday and do Sequence on a Monday (just going now) and have a lesson on Thursdays. We also go to Strictly Come Dancing weekends at Alton Towers. The floor is massive there and still people can bump into you. :)

Obviously I'm a biased P&O enthusiast. Have a great time.

David & Barbara

Never knew about Alton towers, is it just the one weekend? I'm useless at finding places, I tried Pakefield last year, just as they had cancelled - supposed to be on next year though. I could find no where else in the entire country for a weekend dancing. Thought it would be more popular with Strictly doing well. Going to miss Brucie and not too excited re his replacement.

yesidit

I meant the Tamarind Club, not East, that's the blooming restaurant. Just got back in from sequence dancing.

The Strictly weekend is pricey but is fantastic. They do showcases and lessons with the stars. We dance mainly near Sheffield.

David & Barbara