How long SHOULD muster drill take?

I have a three year old with ASD and SPD. We booked through a travel agent, but when we shared our concerns regarding muster, she called the special needs department. We were told, that depending on the special needs population on board, we will either be given permission for one of us and our child to stay in the room during muster, or we will be given an inside muster location in a quiet, non-populated area.

When I have been on a fantasy class ship, our normal muster station is the main showroom. It does NOT suck to have it there, because at least there is AC there- and once the speech is over, they take everyone up to the lifeboats to show us where they are for our station. Takes probably 20 minutes.

On the Miracle, we were actually on deck. I have problems with stairs, and standing for a long period, and we were stuck out there for about 45 minutes, and it was HOT and sweaty. I'm actually diabetic, too, and they wouldn't even allow me to keep my water bottle with me. I wonder what they would have done if I passed out??

I DID see something on the Miracle that I've never seen before, though. They must have had a new crew member, and they were teaching him how to lower a lifeboat. I sat out on my balcony and watched him (it was right outside my balcony!!) and I was VERY glad that he was practicing-- because if I was in that boat, I would have been puking for all I was worth!! It was jerky, and he made it swing side to side, and all I could think about was "if that boat was full of people, we would have LOST half of them overboard!"

I was on the Miracle in February and they put the people who needed extra help inside near the photo gallery. We could sit down and relax but they didn't give us s demonstration!

62A3E603-7A66-4F5C-9E63-9AEB6207FF5F_zpsn4khds3g.jpg

I think where it is depends on the ship. We have been both outside and inside. Last couple of cruises on the Magic were indoors but took for ever as they said it in 3 different languages... Fortunately, the boat left late and we didn't miss sail away the last time.

Out of four ships, the Triumph had the longest, least comfortable Muster Drill I've ever attended. When I sailed both the Triumph and the Holiday, you still needed to take your life jackets with you.

The Muster Drill on the Breeze last year was painless and quick!

Interesting. When on Triumph, drill took 50 minutes. Saw CD later, mentioned I had 80+ cruises, longest and least informative. Young lady got a bit defensive and surly.

Passed info on the Carnival, they too had no clue why it took so long. It is a coordinated effort between the CD and the Captain. Guess they had a "failure to communicate"

When we cruised Sensation in 2011, muster was a 45 minute long nightmare. My twins were two then, and one would later be diagnosed with asperger's. They had us all in the main showroom, which for some reason was ridiculously hot, and insisted on silence. Yeah, 2 year olds sitting still and quiet for 45 mins.

Our next cruise 2012 on Oasis of the Seas. I contracted Autism on the Seas to arrange for 1) our muster drill to be in a better location and 2) my autistic daughter, who was not yet potty trained, to be allowed into Adventure Ocean with her twin sister. Absolutely wonderful experience! As it turned out, our muster drill was in an open area where the kids could play while the adults watched the video, and the AO staff was fantastic with Erin.

We are sailing again in November on the Carnival Sunshine and dont expect any problem.

I would highly recommend calling the special needs department, and, if you don't get the help you need, google Autism on the Seas. They are awesome :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ShannonSto

Do you remember who the CD was?

On our last cruise aboard the Triumph, our CD was Jen Baxter. When we approached her with a couple of issues (one being the room steward who wasn't there...literally!:mad::mad: ) she seemed very concerned and wanted to get the issue resolved as quickly as possible.

We really liked her and are looking forward to sailing with her again in about a month. :)

Interesting. When on Triumph, drill took 50 minutes. Saw CD later, mentioned I had 80+ cruises, longest and least informative. Young lady got a bit defensive and surly.

Passed info on the Carnival, they too had no clue why it took so long. It is a coordinated effort between the CD and the Captain. Guess they had a "failure to communicate"

Think this means I'll be on the later side of getting to muster. Not interested in standing that long in the heat...

We had almost the same thing on the Liberty Halloween last year. Everybody smushed onto lifeboat deck. Some really obnoxious woman who reeked of peaches ;) was annoying everyone around her. The safety talk was done in four different languages. It was warm and humid and took about 45 minutes.

March 2014 on the Fantasy, was the worst in all my cruises. We had to go to the Lido deck and wait. Cruise member stood on the platform with a finger clicker and tried to count our area. We stood there for a LLOOONNGG time with nothing going on. A lot of passengers sat in the ranks and no way could he see anyone there. Useless stupid count!!!!!!!!

Then we had to still wait while the rest of the areas were sent up to the deck to see where their lifeboats were located. All the other areas. Time went, I read two books, had to get another haircut, missed breakfast the next day. Get the idea? Way too long, over 45 minutes standing in lines in the sun while fingerman tried to count over 600 passengers. Yes, I counted how many were in my line and then tried to count the lines and stopped after I realized how stupid it was.

Four pages of this and if people can't be bothered with a necessary and temporary inconvenience,it makes one wonder how theyll react if a real life disaster strikes.

There is no easy way to get thousands of people to do the same thing at the same time in spaces that can be a bit cramped in weather that is sub-tropical.

It's not my favorite portion of the cruise, but if everyone would just suck it up and follow directions...and please be prompt, we'll get through this.

Living in Florida, the same people gripe about hurricane preparation. Clueless as a Kardashian when that time rolls around when you have to put the plan into action you never got around to making.

Horn sounds, announcements are made...and God knows youre given enough warnings..get to the station and deal.

I totally agree. We live and sail from Florida, and are very familiar with heat. Ever since Carnival's very public problems, they seem to have doubled the amount of time on muster drills. I assume this is something their legal eagles told them to do. In addition to CCL we also sail on RCI and X, and their drills take less than half the time of CCL..

However, as long as CCL remains the low cost option, the extra 20 minutes of torture in the heat is still bearable.

I could be wrong but isn't it illegal for the ship to leave port before muster is finished? Not sure how you missed sail a way because of muster.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

Edited by Casco Bay Kid

I could be wrong but isn't it illegal for the ship to leave port before muster is finished? Not sure how you missed sail a way because of muster.

Not illegal, just against the CLIA guidelines. AFAIK, the IMO has not adopted the muster before sailing requirement, it still remains as being required within 24 hours. There must be a "safety briefing" (which does not require gathering all passengers together) immediately before or after sailing, but there is some debate as to whether the video on the TV about lifejackets accomplishes this.

Here's how to enjoy the M Drill.

1. If you are a drinker, don't leave your bar stool until the bar starts to close.

2. Then stroll to your room to get a topper from your smuggled booze.

3. After a shooter, head for your M Station. Take the stairs.

4. As your wandering, smiling to all the crew that are directing you to your station, your close.

5. The horn sounds, you should beat the landing 1/2 floor below the muster deck.

6. When you get to the door of the muster station, ask if you are in the correct area, walk through the doors.

7. Try to figure if you go right or left.

8. Arrive at your muster station, usually you can slide to the back row,

after checking out the ladies, lean back, enjoy the announcements.

9. Warning, you should have finished off your cocktail. 10 minute drill.

But how they know if you skipped it or not?:confused:

Not that I would.;) I'm just curious.

Every cabin is checked by a crew member to see if someone is still inside prior to the muster starting (this is part of the reason you are waiting). If you pay particular attention when you are on deck you will notice a few people with the manual clickers in their hands, they are doing an actual head count, if there are people missing, the crew will have to look for the missing people. Again, another reason why you stand and wait.

Moral of the story.... muster drill has to be done, therefore, get there quick, don't bring drinks, food and be quiet. That's the best way to get it over as fast as possible.

Florida posters, so nice that you are conditioned to the heat. I am not, being a northerner. I am somewhat conditioned to stupidity. That is what I call having the muster on the top deck in the heat. Especially dumba$$ ways to hold the muster, not starting til 15+ minutes after it is supposed to start. A lot of the musters are held indoors, out of the sun and in theaters, auditoriums and other large venues. Smart is what I call that, being able to enjoy my cruise from the start. After all, I paid to enjoy all of my cruise. Why stand there waiting, then have fingerman start his guessing clicker and then just stand there.

Florida posters, so nice that you are conditioned to the heat. I am not, being a northerner. I am somewhat conditioned to stupidity. That is what I call having the muster on the top deck in the heat. Especially dumba$$ ways to hold the muster, not starting til 15+ minutes after it is supposed to start. A lot of the musters are held indoors, out of the sun and in theaters, auditoriums and other large venues. Smart is what I call that, being able to enjoy my cruise from the start. After all, I paid to enjoy all of my cruise. Why stand there waiting, then have fingerman start his guessing clicker and then just stand there.

So let me see if I've got this right. You seem to think that it is up to the ship or the line as to whether or not the muster is inside or outside? Wrong. It is set up whichever way depending on studies by the flag state and the class societies as to the most efficient (not the most comfortable) way to account for all guests and then get them to the boats for loading. I don't believe any ship has ever changed their muster locations after newbuild, even given the Concordia changes. Not sure what you mean by "not starting til 15+ minutes after it is supposed to start", but the drill starts when the alarm bells ring, was that delayed?

And while the muster drill is to attempt to train passengers in what to do in an emergency, and how to assist the crew in saving your own life, it is also training for the crew, as there is no other way or time to train them in how to "herd cats" without using thousands of cats.

If you're worried that you paid for a few uncomfortable moments during muster drill, think of it this way. You didn't pay for those moments, you just paid $.02 per hour more for the rest of your cruise.

Here's how to enjoy the M Drill.

1. If you are a drinker, don't leave your bar stool until the bar starts to close.

2. Then stroll to your room to get a topper from your smuggled booze.

3. After a shooter, head for your M Station. Take the stairs.

4. As your wandering, smiling to all the crew that are directing you to your station, your close.

5. The horn sounds, you should beat the landing 1/2 floor below the muster deck.

6. When you get to the door of the muster station, ask if you are in the correct area, walk through the doors.

7. Try to figure if you go right or left.

8. Arrive at your muster station, usually you can slide to the back row,

after checking out the ladies, lean back, enjoy the announcements.

9. Warning, you should have finished off your cocktail. 10 minute drill.

NAILED IT!!!

You can also book a Ocean View and hide in the window pane with curtains closed.

It should last a total of no more than 15 minutes, but more often than not lasts at least 30, to 45 minutes, while they chase down all the people who are trying to hide in their cabin, etc. :confused: GEEEEZZZEEE, I hate when that happens! :mad:

"SKY"

My understanding was that the muster drill was officially over, but for whatever reason our group hadn't been released to leave our station.

Soooo..what is it you planned on doing during seven or eight days in the Caribbean heat?

Beach time? Transportation in an open air bus and toes in the sand time would expose you to more heat than spending those uncomfortable minutes on the deck...which is usually shaded near the lifeboats.

Staying on board? Better stay inside. It's hot by the pool or serenity deck.

"Conditioned to stupidity" sounds an awful lot like "i know it all" which is why many of us born in the North relocated to the South. Enjoy,

We've had them take anywhere from 15 minutes up to 45 minutes. Our long one was right after the Concordia sinking and they were trying to make sure they had an accurate headcount. They also released muster stations in clumps in order to not crowd the stairwells and elevators.

You mentioned your son has Asperger's and ADHD--have you considered calling Carnival's Special Needs department. They could help you to arrange a quieter space for the muster, so that you're able to get the relevant information. That way if your son had a meltdown again you wouldn't be squished between people.

I agree set up with Carnival to use the alternative muster location. Even if you don't remember to set up prior for next cruise you can go to your station and let them know you need to go to the alternative location, that is what I do as I cannot stand for long period of time...in the heat of FL...as your described it gets extra hot smashed between all those people and I am short too so I feel very closed in, I had a friend pass out on her cruise last October during muster.

So when I go down I ask where the other location is and usually a crew member shows me personally, once it was in a nearby bar/lounge and last trip it was in the library, there were other families there with young kids, elderly etc. Also, they usually tell us to go earlier than the outside groups so the people with scooters and wheelchairs and get the elevators before they fill up.