Worth renting a car (not jeep) in Aruba?

VikkiGarcia

Is it worth it to rent a car to see the island? Is everything that is interesting require off-roading? We will have Grandma with us and she will not be able to handle an unpaved road. We are a family of 6 and any formal shore excursion will add up. We would rather do the day on our own. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I just got back from Aruba and definately yes on renting a car-there were only two of us so we rented a Rotsca-a jeep wrangler look a like for $55.00-if I did it again-I would spend an extra 10-15 and get a hard top with ac because of the dust. The road is not overly rough-saw a lot of locals driving minivans and sedans so grandma should be able to take it. I thing full size suvs rent for around a hundred but an off road excursion booked on line for six would cost you about $300 and booked on ship about $450.

We also opted for a small 4-wheel drive car (with AC) and did not regret it. The north side of the island consists of gravel roads,and we found the driving through Arikok park to be somewhat wearing(maybe that was because it was near the end of the day) but I would definatly recommend getting a car. Be sure to do some reading about the island before you go so that you can somewhat plan what you want to see. HAVE FUN!!!!!

Last time we did aruba on own, we rented a car from Econo... (highly recommend them since they'll pick you up and will coordinate a drop off since you'll probably need a larger vehicle.. their's are in very good condition. We booked on line w/o confirmations and had absolutely no problems.

Carolyn

Oh, saw your ?? you can get to natural bridge w/o problem w/reg car.. I've got 3 herniated discs and the roads weren't "that" bad... just stay w/everyone else.. that way if "anything happens" w/car (ie. flat etc.) you won't be all alone... also bring a color w/water "just in case". It's easy to get a little lost but not "otatlly lost.

Carolyn

Archived