Greenock to Glasgow train

What is the best way to get from where the Ruby Princess docks and the Greenock train station in order to get to Glasgow?

There are two Greenock stations, West and Central. Which is the one to use?

Alternatively is there a recommended tour for Glasgow?

both stations are about 1Km from Princes Pier where the Ruby will berth a taxi shouldn't be all that much,trains up to Glasgow Central are roughly every 25mins or so, travelling after 09,00 an off peak rtn is £7.10, returning you should get a train destination Gourock.

Don't know of any tours from Greenock to Glasgow,but there are HoHo buses in Glasgow leaving from George Sq.to get there is about 5/10 walk from the station,come out the main entrance turn right on to Gordon st walk straight ahead till it intersects Buchanan St,about 2blocks, turn left one block to St Vincent st, turn right 2 blocks and that will bring you to the sightseeing buses.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
both stations are about 1Km from Princes Pier where the Ruby will berth a taxi shouldn't be all that much,trains up to Glasgow Central are roughly every 25mins or so, travelling after 09,00 an off peak rtn is £7.10, returning you should get a train destination Gourock.

Don't know of any tours from Greenock to Glasgow,but there are HoHo buses in Glasgow leaving from George Sq.to get there is about 5/10 walk from the station,come out the main entrance turn right on to Gordon st walk straight ahead till it intersects Buchanan St,about 2blocks, turn left one block to St Vincent st, turn right 2 blocks and that will bring you to the sightseeing buses.

Not to be redundant, but just to confirm-going into Glasgow we want to exit at Central Station. Returning to the ship, we want to exit at the Gourock station? Approximately how long is the journey? Thanks and much appreciated!

Not to be redundant, but just to confirm-going into Glasgow we want to exit at Central Station. Returning to the ship, we want to exit at the Gourock station? Approximately how long is the journey? Thanks and much appreciated!

You do get on the train at Glasgow Central but you need to get off the train at the same station you get on at, which will be either Greenock West or Greenock Central. They're around the same distance from the port by taxi. Check out train times on this website:

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Edited by tartanexile81

Glasgow is great but a lot of the interesting sites are quite away apart

There is loads gong on over the summer check for special events the day you are there.

Museums are free, but one th Burrell collection is quite a way.

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/Pages/home.aspx

There is a great pub(Brewdog) opposite the Kelvingrove museum and a great curry house for lunch(mother india den) close by.

if thinking about just a few things in particular then Taxis can be quite cost effective.

The HOHO obviously gives a great overview and stops at most of the main places.

McGills(one of the major local bus operators) does a bus that leaves from Just outside the cruise terminal area.

http://www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk/news/mcgills-welcomes-cruise-ship-passengers-to-greenock.aspx

This sounds perfect!! I haven't seen this offered before. Thank you! We're going to use the HOHO bus. I think it will give us the best overview and the flexibility we want. I will check out the offerings and see if there is anything happening on the day we will be in port.

I have not used that bus just saw it there in June.

I was in glasgow last year for work(lived near the kelvin grove park and right near the centre so have a good idea of the various tourist offerings and how to get around by local bus/subway/Taxi if you have specific questions.

Glasgow is great but a lot of the interesting sites are quite away apart

There is loads gong on over the summer check for special events the day you are there.

Museums are free, but one th Burrell collection is quite a way.

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/Pages/home.aspx

There is a great pub(Brewdog) opposite the Kelvingrove museum and a great curry house for lunch(mother india den) close by.

if thinking about just a few things in particular then Taxis can be quite cost effective.

The HOHO obviously gives a great overview and stops at most of the main places.

I wrote down Brewdog-it seems to be on the HOHO route. I think we discussed in previous posts that I was going to try and hunt down where my father lived as a child. After lots of research and a friend who had an account with an ancestor service, I think the area is long gone. I'm looking forward to enjoying a day in the city on a nice relaxing schedule.

There is another Pub/brewery/restaurant on the HOHO route called WEST a short walk from the peoples palace.

https://westbeer.com/

Thanks! My husband and I love to pop into local places rather than all the tourist destinations. We aren't wine drinkers, and beer is the new craze here in the US, so we are loving it. I'm sure we will stop by both in our travels.