Splendor 5/4-5/12- F2F, Spa Cabin, and Cheers

Ctlee88

Strangely, I have yet to read a negative review of the Splendor (other than the decor) but I'm sure they're out there, and I have been reading every review I can about the ship since I booked the cruise last month. Perhaps the negative reviews are a bit older. Just to give an idea of how subjective these things are, I have read glowing reviews of the Mongolian Wok and I have also seen people mention that is a big disappointment. It's like everything else, there's no right or wrong. You won't know until you experience it for yourself. And I plan on doing just that in July. :)

A lot of the negative reviews seemed to have been from when she was in CA and from the around SA trip. It's why I started that All Things Splendor - NY Style thread. Maybe the crew just likes being in NYC and seeing that view :)

Also I notice a lot of times a ship gets negative reviews when people have issues with the departure port or the ports on the itinerary. The NYC/Manhattan Cruise Terminal really seems to run a tight ship - so to speak - and the experience sounds better than the CA cruise port one. IDK - I've only sailed from NYC - but sometimes if your cruise starts off badly, it sours the rest of the trip.

As I've said - I thought I wouldn't like the ship and I loved it.

We will be in a spa cabin next month!! Where did you lay out in the sun on the ship? I haven't seen pictures of the ship without the retractable roof so when I first look at deck 10 overlooking Lido, it was enclosed!

The first day or two we laid on deck 10 - overlooking the lido. The lido area is small compared to the other areas to lay out. Deck 11 and 10 have large areS on both side of the ship to lay out. Always saw empty chairs. Keep in mind the right side of the ship decks 10,11 are smoking so if that bothers you keep it in mind (didn't bother me).

After that we only laid out in serenity. Not sure who the knuckleheads were who put the mini golf and the slide right above it but again, definitely not a deal breaker and much more quiet than anywhere else. The serenity chairs have pads which is really a nice touch. Also there's a bar on one side. It was easy to get to via stairs since it is located deck 12 forward, 2 floors above our spa cabin.

The chairs do fill up somewhat fast but my husband and I always managed to snag 2 at some point in one of the 4 areas, and no one was hogging any chairs.

The first day or two we laid on deck 10 - overlooking the lido. The lido area is small compared to the other areas to lay out. Deck 11 and 10 have large areS on both side of the ship to lay out. Always saw empty chairs. Keep in mind the right side of the ship decks 10,11 are smoking so if that bothers you keep it in mind (didn't bother me).

After that we only laid out in serenity. Not sure who the knuckleheads were who put the mini golf and the slide right above it but again, definitely not a deal breaker and much more quiet than anywhere else. The serenity chairs have pads which is really a nice touch. Also there's a bar on one side. It was easy to get to via stairs since it is located deck 12 forward, 2 floors above our spa cabin.

The chairs do fill up somewhat fast but my husband and I always managed to snag 2 at some point in one of the 4 areas, and no one was hogging any chairs.

Ok thanks! So there are places to lay out on deck 10 or 11, even if the roof is retractable? This whole retractable roof is throwing me off! :p Luckily we are going in June so the air should be warm and the roof won't be retracted unless it rains??

it just seemed weird to see the jumbotron in an enclosed space! lol.

Ok thanks! So there are places to lay out on deck 10 or 11, even if the roof is retractable? This whole retractable roof is throwing me off! :p Luckily we are going in June so the air should be warm and the roof won't be retracted unless it rains??

it just seemed weird to see the jumbotron in an enclosed space! lol.

Decks 10 and 11 are open, there's a pretty small area of about 50 chairs around the pool on the Lido (deck 9) that's retractable.

Was smoking allowed on the right side of deck 10's secret deck/balcony area?

Was smoking allowed on the right side of deck 10's secret deck/balcony area?

Well I don't know if it was technically allowed, but i smoked there occasionally (away from the rooms, even though our room was the first one there) there's a little bench right there. But no where to place your butts so bring them somewhere or a cup. It is an open area on the right side of deck ten so if one wanted to get technical....haha. I only did it once or twice, very very windy out there when moving at full speed ahead!

Forgot to mention this...there was a certain gentleman who smoked a cigarette of a different kind (if you smell what I'm stepping in) VERY often on that secret deck. We could smell it, and he would light it in the little foyer right before he went out because of the wind. Really didn't bother me but I could see it bothering others. Guess he was lucky we were the first balcony there..ha!

Edited by Ctlee88

We will be in a spa cabin next month!! Where did you lay out in the sun on the ship? I haven't seen pictures of the ship without the retractable roof so when I first look at deck 10 overlooking Lido, it was enclosed!

The retractable roof is only over the mid ship Lido pool. There is an aft pool that's adults only with plenty of sun and the Thunderball pool up near the slide - deck 11 towards the bow. That whole area should be convenient for you if you're in a spa cabin

I'm going on Splendor 5/28 for the third time since February. (2/13 and 3/17) Needless to say my first Carnival cruise will not be my last.

I was sold on NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENT from the beginning and as long as it continues, I will cruise!! I couldn't come up with one negative thing about either cruise so far. Actually met someone on the 3/17 cruise and we're doing the 5/28 together...

As far as decor, I really don't care...if I have a good time at your house, I don't care what it looks like!!!

Pam

Are you doing the 9/1 sailing to Halifax and St John? Are you in our roll call? We think we're sailing on an empty ship :D

We are on the 9/27 7-day cruise NYC to Canada.

This will be our second time on the Splendor. Just sailed to the Bahamas this past December. Ship decor is like all the others......what ship in any line is not gaudy ? ? ? It's the experience, the food, the entertainment, and the staff that make the cruise.

I hve sailed Splendor 3 times and we sailed by 4:30 and made 6:00 dinner with no problem

you can watch the ships leave NYC on a live webcam on Port New York Webcam. We watch all the time. Also watch Bermuda, Miami, and Port Canaveral. The Port Canaveral departures seem to be late all the time. I am wondering if that is because the Disney excursions get back late and they have to wait for them.

OP thanks for the great review. We will be sailing on 7/7/14 on the Splendor. I can't get enough information about her.

Glad you had a good time and thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences.

OP thanks for the great review. We will be sailing on 7/7/14 on the Splendor. I can't get enough information about her.

Glad you had a good time and thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences.

My parents and grandparents will be on that sailing..the booked the day after we got home! Ha! If you're looking for faster to the fun there are still 3 left as of Tuesday night!

Sushi has been gone awhile. We sailed last December on the Splendor and it had been replaced with the Tastings on sea day nights during the voyage -- same location. Items offered are from different speciality restaurants throughout the fleet, meaning your ship may not have the restaurant on board, but you can taste a selection from it any way. It is usually a small bite along with a little soup. Your choice to have one or both items. There is usually a menu showing the theme of each night and which night it will be offered.

As far as the retractable roof, it is only over the area by the midship pool where the big outdoor movie screen is located. If it is a windy night, no matter is you are in the Caribbean, they will put the roof up. The pizza place is there along with the hamburger/hot dog or speciality of the night. People get their food and sit at the tables. You would not want to fight the wind to stop your food from getting cold or blowing away.

With the dome up, it can be rather cozy. Your can hardly notice it at night.

MARAPRINCE