On Board Account Payment Type

Thegreywarden

Hi, I have a debit card rather than a credit card - will be sailing on the Opera this summer. Just reading the FAQs on MSC website and they do not recommend using debit cards. Would I be better paying in cash? I have already paid for my allegrissimo through the travel agent.

Hi, I have a debit card rather than a credit card - will be sailing on the Opera this summer. Just reading the FAQs on MSC website and they do not recommend using debit cards. Would I be better paying in cash? I have already paid for my allegrissimo through the travel agent.

I think the issue here is that there is no means of 'pre-charging' a debit card. The chunks of money MSC try to pre-charge are actually taken from your account. When settlement time comes, they may well charge the card the exact total bill then refund the chunks. As it takes a few days to receive the refund, you may be caught short!

If you are not planning on spending much on board, you should be fine. Just make sure you have at least double what you may need available on your card. The daily hotel charge springs to mind, plus any spa treatments, onboard shopping, etc..

There is also the option of prepaying for onboard credit in advance from the 'onboard services' link on the MSC website.

AmoMondo - Thanks for the info - wee bit of a worry as don't have credit card to fall back on - will just need to make sure have enough cash for a deposit.

Skipper Tim - I couldn't find the link for pre paying on board credit but might try calling their new customer service number!

Cheers:)

AmoMondo - Thanks for the info - wee bit of a worry as don't have credit card to fall back on - will just need to make sure have enough cash for a deposit.

Skipper Tim - I couldn't find the link for pre paying on board credit but might try calling their new customer service number!

Cheers:)

Login/register (top of the MSC home page)

-> 'My Reservation' (choose if you have more than one booking)

(scroll down) -> 'Find the Perfect Service on Board - Reserve Now'

-> 'On Board Services'

-> 'Other Services'

-> 'Ship Board Credit'

For me it gives a choice of £75 or £100.

It is known that the MSC website is rather poor and not everyone has access to 'My Reservation'. If you don't, best of luck with the 'new telephone number' :) .

FROM 17 MAY 2014 OUR NEW CONTACT NUMBER WILL BE:

(opening hours will remain the same)

0203 426 3010

Mon-Fri 09:30-18:00

Sat 09:00-17:30 | Sun 10:00-16:00

Calls to this number will be charged at your standard local rate.

prior to 17th May taken from say no to 0870

http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

Main Database

Company Name 0870 / 0871 0844 / 0845 01 / 02 / 03 Freephone Other Information

MSC Cruises UK 0870 850 4883 020 7092 2880 Fax: 020 78311927

Unverified Numbers Database

Company Name 0870 / 0871 0844 / 0845 01 / 02 / 03 Freephone Other Information

MSC Cruises 0844 561 7412 020 7092 2880

MSC Cruises Ltd 0844 561 1955 020 7092 2880

Edited by Pennbank
highlighted 020 local numbers

I've used a debit card every single time I've been on a cruise and have never had a hitch. I've gotten hosed by Air France, but never by one of the lines.

It could be risky if you want to not have to keep track of things, because I mean after all you are on vacation. But even just a cursory tracking of your expenses and keeping an eye on your balance is all that's needed.

Thanks for your replies.

No access to My Reservation Skipper Tim but thanks for the info.

That sounds a bit more promising MotownVoice, will do as you suggest and just keep a little eye on the balance. With already having paid for the drinks package think our on board spend should be minimal - hotel service charge, wee bit shopping. Biggest expense will be if decide to do any excursions.

Cheers

Thanks for your replies.

No access to My Reservation Skipper Tim but thanks for the info.

That sounds a bit more promising MotownVoice, will do as you suggest and just keep a little eye on the balance. With already having paid for the drinks package think our on board spend should be minimal - hotel service charge, wee bit shopping. Biggest expense will be if decide to do any excursions.

Cheers

We purchases OBC for our upcoming Armonia cruise for the amount our excursions cost. We did this through our travel agent but I'm sure she just called MSC customer service to do it.

Debt cards in the US are not necessarily the same as debit cards issued by UK banks. Like I said, I was not able to use mine on MSC.

An alternative if you don't have a credit card is a forex card (I use Caxton but there are others). You pre load in sterling (if you're from the UK) and you use them overseas and they charge in local currency. Costs can easily be cheaper than using debit cards overseas. You can also add extra if you need to via a mobile app or just the website. Funds are usually available immediately.

You can of course just give MSC cash up front. The downside is you have to queue up on the last morning to square off your account.

I would never go overseas with only a single card - it is far too risky. An ATM May malfunction and retain it (I work for a bank trust me it happens) or it could get lost or blocked, then you're left with no other a ante to money.

I would never go overseas with only a single card - it is far too risky. An ATM May malfunction and retain it (I work for a bank trust me it happens) or it could get lost or blocked, then you're left with no other a ante to money.

Yes, absolutely. If your single card 'under-performs' you may be put in prison. A few cards are required, just in case.

Try them in order of expected charges.

Regards,

Thanks for all the advice.

You are, of course, all correct about the need to have more than one card in case something goes wrong. I was planning to and will definitely take more than one card with us.

As you picked up AmoMondo main issue is no credit card. I liked the sound of avoiding the queue on the last day. Might just pop into the bank and arrange a credit card for our trip - will be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks

Some credit cards also come with travel insurance. I have recently acquired a Mastercard that earns me airpoints with AirNZ and has quite comprehensive travel insurance coverage (I have read the policy documents three times and sent them a two page letter to clarify relevant points) so having a carefully chosen credit card can be quite beneficial in some cases.

I plan to travel with two credit cards plus a debit card that is preloaded with relevant currency. My husband will also have his business credit card with him as a final 'worst case scenario'.

Don't forget to phone your credit card company and let them know you will be travelling otherwise you may find your card blocked.

Thanks for all the advice.

You are, of course, all correct about the need to have more than one card in case something goes wrong. I was planning to and will definitely take more than one card with us.

As you picked up AmoMondo main issue is no credit card. I liked the sound of avoiding the queue on the last day. Might just pop into the bank and arrange a credit card for our trip - will be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks

Do shop around - some credit cards have horrendous fees when used overseas. Have a look at some of the comparison sites to find out who is rated best or don't charge extra fees (on top of sometimes not great fx rates). I use a post office credit card for most of my foreign transactions as they don't charge extra fees.

I am on a 1 night Cruise from Southampton next week and today called MSC to pay for the Drinks package and also the daily service charge as wanted it all done before we go.

so now as that has all been paid and i dont think we will spend anything on ship as dont need too but will i still have to hand over cash or not?

i have a debit card but didnt want to use that anyway so thats the reason for the cash but as i say we wont need to spend on board as it all paid for.

will they say i have to hand over some cash or can i say no i dont want to do that?