Trivial Endeavors

It's generally a lot of fun. A good idea is to show up early the first day of team trivia and chat up some of the other early arrivals to see if you can come up with a mix of areas of interest/expertise. It's great to have a couple of Brits and perhaps Aussies (who always seem up on all sports) or Continentals - not necessarily to win - it just makes for a more interesting group.

I have found that US school teachers are disappointing teammates - they seem to have great depth in one field and nothing in everything else.

• 3 weeks later...
We just came back from a 26 day TA and had a ball playing trivia. We traveled with another couple and hooked up with a couple from Canada and we were quiet good. Came back with a sack full of pins. Our cruise director was good and fair! Seems like all we did on sea days was eat breakfast, play trivia, eat lunch, play trivia, change your clocks ahead (I think) and happy hour then eat!

Hi Jean- we are trying to complete our sets of HAL ship pins and location pins. Any possibility of buying some from you? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my experience, it is only on the long cruises that the trivia games may become a "blood sport". The cruise staff member running the game has much to do with this. If their PR skills are good, the games are fun, even when some may dispute the "correct" answer. If their PR skills are lacking, , well, be sure you know your lifeboat number.

This is true. A single game is almost always just fun. Longer cruises we've been on (not so much HAL) have had "progressive trivia" where teams are formed and an overall winner is named at the end. (It's an ego thing; only once were the prizes anything special.) We've had fun doing this but I would say that folks who really aren't used to trivia might want to think twice about doing this or sit in the back and play just for fun. We've been lucky to be on a cruise with a person we met and played with her twice and have already found one of our favorites who will be on the Voyage of the Vikings. Good way to make friends as we keep in touch with several progressive trivia folks we've met.

We will not forget the four people we played with on another cruise who between them, contributed one answer in 14 days. (Yes, we were polite to them and didn't quit, but it was frustrating and not much fun.)

If you found you enjoyed it and were able to answer questions, go for it on progressive. If it's not progressive, play anytime and don't worry about whether you will know answers or not and have a blast, OP.

Edited by HokiePoq