Solo cruising from Houston/Galveston - where to start?

Mytime2014

I haven't even been on my 1st cruise, but I am anticipating wanting more! I live just outside San Antonio and thinking about the TX ports so I don't have to fly.

I do not want to sail on the largest ship, the thought of unlimited hours to just relax is more intriguing that bar hopping or partying. I'm looking at fall/winter/early spring cruises and planning to miss the weeks that school is out! a shorter cruise 4-5 days might be enough to see how I like hte solo part, but I can't imagine not liking it. My favorite land vacations have been a few days on an ocean view balcony watching the moon on the ocean. Alone.

How do I even start? I'm going on a HAL Alaska cruise in July -can't believe I was talked into it by the person I'm going with - co-worker/church friend and it was kind of spur of the moment. I've learned more since we booked than I even imagined before!

I would appreciate opinions about the 4 cruise lines that sail from there - not leaning toward Carnival because it presents as being big party time. The others I haven't read enough about to have an opinion.

Primarily - I need to know which have the highest/lowest single supplements; and then which ones are more attractive to the early 50 single woman as far as safety, lack of matchmaking, and ability to be alone or participate.

That's lot of stuff!!! so anyone who wants to chip in info - I very much appreciate it!

Debby

I haven't even been on my 1st cruise, but I am anticipating wanting more! I live just outside San Antonio and thinking about the TX ports so I don't have to fly.

I do not want to sail on the largest ship, the thought of unlimited hours to just relax is more intriguing that bar hopping or partying. I'm looking at fall/winter/early spring cruises and planning to miss the weeks that school is out! a shorter cruise 4-5 days might be enough to see how I like hte solo part, but I can't imagine not liking it. My favorite land vacations have been a few days on an ocean view balcony watching the moon on the ocean. Alone.

How do I even start? I'm going on a HAL Alaska cruise in July -can't believe I was talked into it by the person I'm going with - co-worker/church friend and it was kind of spur of the moment. I've learned more since we booked than I even imagined before!

I would appreciate opinions about the 4 cruise lines that sail from there - not leaning toward Carnival because it presents as being big party time. The others I haven't read enough about to have an opinion.

Primarily - I need to know which have the highest/lowest single supplements; and then which ones are more attractive to the early 50 single woman as far as safety, lack of matchmaking, and ability to be alone or participate.

That's lot of stuff!!! so anyone who wants to chip in info - I very much appreciate it!

Debby

Hi Debby. The only 4 or 5 day cruise would be on Carnival and Carnival will probably have the lowest solo rate.

I will be traveling October 26 on RCL out of Galveston. I haven't been on NOS before but it was refurbished last year. I'm paying double.

Please don't rule out Carnival just because of the "party crowd". Now, the weekend cruises sure - but I've also found that on Royal Caribbean. If you choose a 4 or 5 night cruise that is during the week, its a different story. Of course, that's as long as its not Spring Break or a school holiday - we've had alot more disruption from children running up and down the halls screaming that we have the partiers LOL.

Right now, Carnival is running alot of specials with ZERO single supplement. In fact I scored a heck of a deal over Memorial Day weekend - 5 nights for $250. Good Luck with your cruise search and I hope you have a blast on your 1st solo cruise. Just be aware - its is very addicting. I cruise with family & friends, but every so often I just need one alone to totally relax.

Debby

The only ships doing 4/5 days cruises out of Galveston is Carnival. But please don't think of all Carnival cruises are just one big Frat party. Sure, the shorter cruises get a younger crowd who wants to drink and gamble because it's affordable; but you will also find families as well as senior citizens. Maybe at one point they had that reputation, but not anymore. Carnival is probably the best line for solo cruises of all ages and offers the best rates. I've even seem many of their sailing with no supplement for solo occupancy of a cabin. RCI offers 7 -day cruises out of Galveston and Princess has 7-day cruises out of Houston, but the solo rate aren't as good. Anyway cruises are the best options for solo/single female/males. I've cruised many time solo and never yet had a bad time. There are activities from morning until bedtime. You'd have to work at being bored. Just request a large table 6-8 at the time of booking and you will dine with others every night - couples as well as other solo cruisers. Just book and go and have a great time. You are trying to make it far more complicated then it really is. Remember it's a vacation! It's a 4 day cruise; not a world cruise.