Camp Carnival on Sunshine

my1stcruise

For anyone who has had kids on the sunshine recently, can you tell me how often the 6-8 and 9-11 do activities together? Or do they do that at all? My girls will be 7 and 9 and would love to be able to spend time together. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Has anyone tried the Camp Carnival on the Sunshine? We only have one child so she loves to go to camp to meet some friends. Did they have fun activities? What are the hours?

We were on the Disney Dream May 2013 and she wanted to leave dinner to go back to camp.

Has anyone tried the Camp Carnival on the Sunshine? We only have one child so she loves to go to camp to meet some friends. Did they have fun activities? What are the hours?

We were on the Disney Dream May 2013 and she wanted to leave dinner to go back to camp.

How old is she? We are on the same sailing, my daughter is 8 years old and plans to be in camp for sure. She cannot wait to get there!

For anyone who has had kids on the sunshine recently, can you tell me how often the 6-8 and 9-11 do activities together? Or do they do that at all? My girls will be 7 and 9 and would love to be able to spend time together. Thanks!

Going in a week, I will let you know.

How old is she? We are on the same sailing, my daughter is 8 years old and plans to be in camp for sure. She cannot wait to get there!

My daughter is 7 1/2! As she like to point out to everyone! LOL! She is a ball of energy, loves to play with friends, and swim! This is going to be great!

I'm still looking for details for the camp hours? I would love for us to get a chance to enjoy the steak house!

My daughter is 7 1/2! As she like to point out to everyone! LOL! She is a ball of energy, loves to play with friends, and swim! This is going to be great!

I'm still looking for details for the camp hours? I would love for us to get a chance to enjoy the steak house!

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I continued our convo over in the roll call for our cruise... ;)

• 8 months later...
Just curious, how was Camp Carnival? We were on the Disney Fantasy last year and it was the best ship, I am hesitant on this kids camp compared to Disney! :-)

No, there is no comparison to any main line cruise ship vs any of the Disney ships. Disney is a premium cruise line.

We have not sailed Disney because I can cruise three times for the price of one Disney cruise.

If you go in with an open mind and do not compare the two the carnival camp will be fun.

They are not opened all the time.

opened at 10 on sea days

closed for lunch at 12:40

opened at 2 closed for dinner at 5

opened again at 7 and becomes fee paid at 10pm

Just curious, how was Camp Carnival? We were on the Disney Fantasy last year and it was the best ship, I am hesitant on this kids camp compared to Disney! :-)

YOu shouldn't compare it to Disney. Carnival is its own line with its own kid's program. My children have enjoyed camp and are looking forward to it again this year. I'm sure they would enjoy Disney too.

My son is now in the 9-11 and started in camp 8 years ago with the 2-5. The can have times when they play together, and evenings are often together when they are watching movies. But in my experience, the activities on the ship can vary from week to week depending on enrollment. You won't really know until you board for certain.

On sea days, camp will open 9-12, 1 or 2 p,m til -4 or 5, have camp dinner on Lido at 6 and then open at the camp at 7-10pm. They do build-a-bear either late afternoon or after lunch some days, so camp is open for that but parent's must attend. Some nights they can go as late as 3 am, if you pay the fee. The counselors will walk the kids back to your room at the end; you don't need to pick them up.

On port days, they will have open hours during but much reduced attendance; you can leave your kids in camp if you wish to go ashore without them and they will feed them lunch. Same night time idea.

Ok, I guess I should have went into more detail.....we were on the Carnival Dream back in 2013 and the Camp Carnival was just not fun for my 2 younger girls (3 & 6 at the time), in fact they dreaded going. Disney Fantasy has camp counselors that would actually interact with the kids, get them interested in activities, our first experience in Camp Carnival on the Dream was not like that at all. So I am really hoping Camp Carnival is much better this time around. I know there is no comparison between Disney and Carnival and I wasn't intending to sound like the "Disney Snob" :-) b/c you are right, it is very costly and probably a once in a life time trip, hence why we are going back to Carnival. But I was hoping the Sunshine Camp Carnival had better reviews then what i have been reading. I figured those who have attended could tell me of their experiences.

Ok, I guess I should have went into more detail.....we were on the Carnival Dream back in 2013 and the Camp Carnival was just not fun for my 2 younger girls (3 & 6 at the time), in fact they dreaded going. Disney Fantasy has camp counselors that would actually interact with the kids, get them interested in activities, our first experience in Camp Carnival on the Dream was not like that at all. So I am really hoping Camp Carnival is much better this time around. I know there is no comparison between Disney and Carnival and I wasn't intending to sound like the "Disney Snob" :-) b/c you are right, it is very costly and probably a once in a life time trip, hence why we are going back to Carnival. But I was hoping the Sunshine Camp Carnival had better reviews then what i have been reading. I figured those who have attended could tell me of their experiences.

Hey-- Im a disney snob (been to the world 5 times last year--LOL but still cant afford a disney cruise.

on the dream could it been that both your kids were in separated camp areas?

my GD did not like the Pride 2-5 program at all. She went one time first day. Later told me they let the babies cry and the counselors would not let her go over to the babies to talk with them. WHich upset her much. She said the babies - there were three of them-- just cried the entire time. (im guessing they were 2)

the next cruise she tried the 6-8 camps she did ok. On Sunday she will be in the 9 -11 group and she is going in with an open mind.

Activities are broken down into 30 minutes each-- they move them along.

I have some camp papers not for that ship but it will give you an idea what kind of program they got going

email me at serene56@aol.com camp papers in the subject line

My son is now in the 9-11 and started in camp 8 years ago with the 2-5. The can have times when they play together, and evenings are often together when they are watching movies. But in my experience, the activities on the ship can vary from week to week depending on enrollment. You won't really know until you board for certain.

On sea days, camp will open 9-12, 1 or 2 p,m til -4 or 5, have camp dinner on Lido at 6 and then open at the camp at 7-10pm. They do build-a-bear either late afternoon or after lunch some days, so camp is open for that but parent's must attend. Some nights they can go as late as 3 am, if you pay the fee. The counselors will walk the kids back to your room at the end; you don't need to pick them up.

On port days, they will have open hours during but much reduced attendance; you can leave your kids in camp if you wish to go ashore without them and they will feed them lunch. Same night time idea.

If you go to shore without them what happens if you missed the ship? I don't know if I could do that.

If you go to shore without them what happens if you missed the ship? I don't know if I could do that.

I said the same thing over and over when we started cruising with our kids. But I've left them onboard twice. Well actually my youngest just once and my oldest twice. You have to be comfortable with the idea all around. Not every parent will do it, but from my experience, many WILL do it. It's not uncommon. In fact the counselors expect it on port days. Usually before I could even get it out of my mouth that we would be debarking, they would ask at check-in if we were leaving the ship. I love Camp Carnival!

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I said the same thing over and over when we started cruising with our kids. But I've left them onboard twice. Well actually my youngest just once and my oldest twice. You have to be comfortable with the idea all around. Not every parent will do it, but from my experience, many WILL do it. It's not uncommon. In fact the counselors expect it on port days. Usually before I could even get it out of my mouth that we would be debarking, they would ask at check-in if we were leaving the ship. I love Camp Carnival!

Yes Camp Carnival is great. I see a lot of happy kids.

Well, miss the ship is not in my calculations with or without the kids - it's just not an option. I have left my youngest it twice, when he was 2 and 3; his brother was 8 and 9 and was ready for a ruin tour in Costa Maya and in Belize a kayak snorkel tour. Both times we booked through Carnival so I knew the ship would not leave without us; you pay more, but they wouldn't dare leave you.

Both times our tours were half day, we were on morning tours and back just after lunch. The ship didn't sail for hours. We picked him up from camp after grabbing a bite. In Costa Maya we took him ashore to swim in the pool and in Belize we played at the pool. He had tons of fun in camp and never knew we left the ship.