Anchorage post cruise

prchoudh

I have always wanted to go to Alaska and wanted to do it "right". This year was looking very doubtful because the DW was going to get laid off. Then about 3 weeks ago, she was told that she was saved for at least another year. So, I am late in planning this trip for July.

I have the cruise line narrowed down along with some of the excursions like White Pass Railroad, seeing a sled dog place and visting Emerald Lake. I have about 3-4 days after the cruise ends in Anchorage. I was disturbed to see the Anchorage Hilton charging $400 per night and I want to see more of Alaska. I think the ship gets into Seward at 5 a.m so, I can start early.

Where should I go around the Anchorage area? I would like to see Denali National Park and do some sightseeing. Prince Williiam Sound, sounds good as well. Glacier Bay sounds interesting. At any rate, when I heard that the hotel was $400 per night, my first instinct was to fly home after the cruise.

What places do you suggest? I would like to rent a car and drive around or take a ferry and such. This is my first time going to Alaska. I would like to see wildlife. I am active but, my wife is not all that active.

thanks

You have plenty of time to research your options. Go the library and borrow some Alaska travel books. Read the Sticky above '2013 Alaska cruise reviews.' Reply #45 has the trip reports sorted by cruiseline. You;ll find lots of great suggestions for things to do on a diy trip. Better yet, look at previous years trip reports on the Alaska forum of http://www.tripadvisor.com Do your research and you'll find much cheaper options than $400 a nite in Anc !

If you think hotels are expensive, have you looked at car rentals? especially one-way out of Seward where Hertz is the only vendor.

What time is your return flight? and do you have 3 days or 4? And btw, Glacier Bay is not near Anchorage. Closer to Juneau

3 days isn't a lot of time .... Alaska is huge and desination are far apart. If you only have 3 days and want to see Denali, that's all you'll have time for. It's a 10 hr drive minimum from Seward! then another 5-6 hrs back to Anc.

4 days could look like this:

Day 1. Arrive in Seward. Do a kenai cruise, or pick up rental car and drive to Whitier for an noon-ish glacier cruise. Overnight in Girdwood or drive an hr north of Anchorage to Wasilla to overnight.

day 2 early start to Denali to arrive by 3pm. Catch the 4pm dog sled demo.

day 3 shuttle to wonder lake or eielson visitor center

day 4 drive back to Anchorage for flight home

If you have only 3 days, maybe skip Denali and spend time exploring the Turnagain Arm ... pan for gold, visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, hike, Alyeksa Resort, etc. OR skip the day cruise and drive straight to Denali.

Lots of choices but you need determine your priorities and how much time you really have.

This transportation guide may help you with travel times. Lots of other good info in that site as well:

http://www.alaska.org/advice/mileage-chart

Edited by mapleleaves

The Hilton isn't the only hotel in Anchorage... Just about every chain is represented.

Or you could really save some money and do something like this: http://www.susitnaplace.com/

Or don't stay in Anchorage at all. If you are headed to Denali, stay your first night an hour north of Anchorage in Wasilla. The views from here are great: http://www.pioneerridge.com/

As mentioned, one way rentals out of Seward have a hefty drop off fee. But if you use a bus or train to get to Anchorage, a round trip rental from there isn't quite as shocking.

I just checked Alyska Resort in Girdwood and for weekend of July 12th (randomly chosen), they are "only" $279 a night. My H and I stayed there last year and it was beautiful and lots to do in that area. You can go north to Anchorage (about an hour or south towards seward (Exit Glacier, the sealife center). You can go to the Wildlife Conservation Center in Girdwood and take the Portage lake Glacier cruise also right in that area. The tram at the resort is great too and awesome views at the top. By the way, there are coupons for BOGO for all those places in the Northern Lights Coupon book. If I only had a couple of days, this is what I'd do. Dinali IS fantastic but that would be all you'd have time for. We're going to Alaska again this year cruise Vancouver to Whittier then driving for 7 days to a different area than last year. By the way, car rentals ARE expensive. You're better off taking a transfer (we're using Alaska Cruise Transfer and they are pretty cheap) from seward to Anchorage airport or somewhere in downtown Anchorage to rent your car and then back track. Car rentals are very expensive but VERY VERY expensive if you don't drop off where you pick up.

I have always wanted to go to Alaska and wanted to do it "right". This year was looking very doubtful because the DW was going to get laid off. Then about 3 weeks ago, she was told that she was saved for at least another year. So, I am late in planning this trip for July.

I have the cruise line narrowed down along with some of the excursions like White Pass Railroad, seeing a sled dog place and visting Emerald Lake. I have about 3-4 days after the cruise ends in Anchorage. I was disturbed to see the Anchorage Hilton charging $400 per night and I want to see more of Alaska. I think the ship gets into Seward at 5 a.m so, I can start early.

Where should I go around the Anchorage area? I would like to see Denali National Park and do some sightseeing. Prince Williiam Sound, sounds good as well. Glacier Bay sounds interesting. At any rate, when I heard that the hotel was $400 per night, my first instinct was to fly home after the cruise.

What places do you suggest? I would like to rent a car and drive around or take a ferry and such. This is my first time going to Alaska. I would like to see wildlife. I am active but, my wife is not all that active.

thanks

I just checked Alyska Resort in Girdwood and for weekend of July 12th (randomly chosen), they are "only" $279 a night. My H and I stayed there last year and it was beautiful and lots to do in that area. You can go north to Anchorage (about an hour or south towards seward (Exit Glacier, the sealife center). You can go to the Wildlife Conservation Center in Girdwood and take the Portage lake Glacier cruise also right in that area. The tram at the resort is great too and awesome views at the top. By the way, there are coupons for BOGO for all those places in the Northern Lights Coupon book. If I only had a couple of days, this is what I'd do. Dinali IS fantastic but that would be all you'd have time for. We're going to Alaska again this year cruise Vancouver to Whittier then driving for 7 days to a different area than last year. By the way, car rentals ARE expensive. You're better off taking a transfer (we're using Alaska Cruise Transfer and they are pretty cheap) from seward to Anchorage airport or somewhere in downtown Anchorage to rent your car and then back track. Car rentals are very expensive but VERY VERY expensive if you don't drop off where you pick up.

Thank you for the information. I am finding that Alaska is way more expensive than I realized but, I am determined to go. I need to stop putting off, "waiting for the right time, when I can do it right" and just do it. The 279 scares me though because 279x3 or 4 nights in itself is expensive.

Perhaps you need to put it off until 2015 and take advantage of rates offered this year for next year. For instance, Enterprise often runs an offer in July/August for the following year, $150 for a week long car rental. Most budget accomomodations have already been snapped up for this year, so plan your itinerary for 2015 and book this Aug and Sept for next year. You can easily find hotel rooms, B&B's or cabins for $150 a night. Stay in a place with a kitchenette so you can make some of your own meals. Buy a cheap cooler to keep drinks and sandwich fixings.

Or maybe do RT cruise this year and a DIY land trip next year ?

You can't expect to find great deals when you're planning 6 weeks out. I mean Alaska only has a 3 month tourist season, so deals were gone months ago. Take your time, do your research, take advantage of early bird specials, Northern Lights or Alaska Discount coupon books, and read the trip reports to learn about other travellers budget ideas. Good luck!

Perhaps you need to put it off until 2015 and take advantage of rates offered this year for next year. For instance, Enterprise often runs an offer in July/August for the following year, $150 for a week long car rental. Most budget accomomodations have already been snapped up for this year, so plan your itinerary for 2015 and book this Aug and Sept for next year. You can easily find hotel rooms, B&B's or cabins for $150 a night. Stay in a place with a kitchenette so you can make some of your own meals. Buy a cheap cooler to keep drinks and sandwich fixings.

Or maybe do RT cruise this year and a DIY land trip next year ?

You can't expect to find great deals when you're planning 6 weeks out. I mean Alaska only has a 3 month tourist season, so deals were gone months ago. Take your time, do your research, take advantage of early bird specials, Northern Lights or Alaska Discount coupon books, and read the trip reports to learn about other travellers budget ideas. Good luck!

Yeah I am starting to wonder about that. I feel a little overwhelmed and feel like i have to make some quick decisions pretty soon otherwise I will lose out.

where are you coming from? Just wondering if airfare a big expense. If not, I'd be inclined to do a RT cruise this year to get a taste of Alaska. When you return you'll have a better idea of priorities and interests for next year, then you can jump into planning an itinerary and have rooms booked by Sept.

ie Denali Park Hotel is plain, clean and very reasonable at $140 http://www.denaliparkhotel.com/rates.html

In Seward there are cabins at the Seavey's Ididaride property for under $125 a nite http://www.ididaride.com/cabins/adobe-well-couples-cabins

There are deals out there but you need time to find them. Watch the enterprise site dilegently ... the special doesn't last long so yo have to jump on it.

Good luck with your planning and research.

You looked at about the most expensive hotel in Anchorage.....Lots and lots of cheaper choices....especially 10 miles outside of Anchorage.....the city is bigger than the state of Delaware so there is really lots of choices...Take a look at the Alexis hotels on Spenard, near the airport...or the Micro hotel in Eagle River, or one of the numerous B and B's available....or the Lofts hotel on 3rd Ave. It used to be a days inn and it caters to a lot of company workers who are up here working on the roads, or the pipelines...It is not fancy, but it is clean and right in the middle of town....and not expensive....Google Visit Anchorage and look at what it has to say....lots of information out there....

Thanks for the suggestions. I would really like to go on an Alaskan cruise this summer. If not, I will start planning for next year. It just feels as though, I keep wanting to do it right but every year it has to be put off. I will check out of the RT from Seattle. I am coming from LAX so, the rates are not that horrible. The cruise for an outside cabin continues to be a concern. But, I will check into all the info that was given.

Thanks

I cannot imagine your stress as I started planning my trip over 15 months ago and am still stressing out. I also like to stay at well known brands and am staying at both Hilton Anchorage and Homewood Suites Anchorage as well as lots of other hotels during our stay for $0! I used points for all of it. If you can plan for next year, it is still doable. Read my pre-cruise planning that I have linked in my signature. I really tried to do a trip with everything I wanted to do and save as much money as I could. I ended up with 9 days of hotels on points. That alone probably saved me almost $3000 as Alaska hotels are sooo expensive!

DH & I are on our own for 5 days prior to cruise out of Seward the end of Aug. One night in Anchorage, we have booked a B&B, Moose Gardens. Several people on this site have good reviews of the place. I believe it's moosegardens.com. Right outside Denali, we are staying in cabins that are part of the Salmon Bake Restaurant. Both places are about $150/night.