TUI to market to UK Cruisers

(quote from article) TUI Travel, is undergoing a restructuring programme in a bid to reach underlying profit of 1 billion euros (833.81 million pounds) in its 2014/15 fiscal year (unquote) :eek::eek::eek: (kin el!!)

Edited by geomagot

Very interesting...

"and was considering the possibility of increasing its fleet to between six and eight ships, potentially doubling the fleet."

I think this could mean that Thomson cruise ships could be integrated into the TUI fleet, or maybe new(er) ships that are aimed at us.

I would travel on one of the TUI ships, they look lovely, it wouldn't be as bad as some of the other lines as they would just announce in both German and English, not in 5 or 6 languages like you get on NCL etc.

I don't think the food would be to my taste.

I think it would be difficult to cater for British and German tastes.

Years ago DH worked for a German Company and on holiday in Spain, etc he always looked for the restaurants patronised by Germans because he claimed the food was better as the Germans wouldn't put up with inferior food. :). But there again that wouldn't be German food it would be Spanish food. Doh!

german food is great...doughnuts for breakfast...more doughnuts with cream for elevenses...something fried in lard for lunch (with doughnuts & cream for afters), chocolates for afternoon tea (with lashings of cream) and more fried things for dinner (with doughnuts and a litre of beer)

its my kind of menu;)

Interesting... :rolleyes:

Anyone notice though that on the original article, the bit about Thomson Cruises already existing in the British market has been taken off the article? Strange.

Anyway, it would make sense for TUI to go down this route as having just one cruise line would save on costs significantly. They are already doing this with the airline business where they have one 'virtual' airline operating.

TUI's ships are very nice, and they have got a very good product. However, I would be concerned that the British-ness of Thomson would be lost.

Interesting... :rolleyes:

Anyone notice though that on the original article, the bit about Thomson Cruises already existing in the British market has been taken off the article? Strange.

A good spot Sailaway. The earlier article can been seen here:

http://www.euronews.com/business-newswires/2501864-tui-ag-eyes-cruise-expansion-as-restructuring-enters-next-stage/

Well they haven't changed it up to time of me posting....

Agree about the Britishness of the cruise, what would the entertainment look like? I think the Germans would like what Peel do now as it is pretty international, maybe have more than one guest act, suitable to the differing audiences? It could work.

I don't think the food will be an issue, the other cruise lines take in many differing nationalities and the food is suitable for all.